Turn Off Ads?
Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast

Thread: MLB considering instant replay for everything (except balls & strikes)

Re: MLB considering instant replay for everything (except balls & strikes)

Quote Originally Posted by Chip R View Post
    It appears they are going with a challenge system much like the NFL and there will be a crew at MLB HQ in NYC reviewing the call much like the NHL.

http://espn.go.com/mlb/story/_/id/95...deo-challenges
    Are the managers going to get a red flag to throw on the field when they want to challenge?

I don't really like the challenge aspect of it. What if you have more calls that need to be challenged? Does that make them less important? What happens in an extra inning game and you have used up all of your challenges and HR is called but really bounced off the top of the wall? How is that fair? You lose a game because you have no more challenges.
    Reds Fan Since 1971

2. Turn Off Ads?

Quote Originally Posted by cumberlandreds View Post
    Are the managers going to get a red flag to throw on the field when they want to challenge?

I don't really like the challenge aspect of it. What if you have more calls that need to be challenged? Does that make them less important? What happens in an extra inning game and you have used up all of your challenges and HR is called but really bounced off the top of the wall? How is that fair? You lose a game because you have no more challenges.
    the homerun check gets grandfathered in, if you have no challenges left they will automatically look at it

It's officially going to be implemented for 2014. Just saw it on the crawl on MLB Network. Up to 3 challenges per game.

Quote Originally Posted by Joesh View Post
    the homerun check gets grandfathered in, if you have no challenges left they will automatically look at it
    That's good. That article didn't say that.
    Reds Fan Since 1971

Quote Originally Posted by cumberlandreds View Post
    That's good. That article didn't say that.
    yea, i read it in this one

http://www.usatoday.com/story/sports...-hold/2659555/

Flash the leather! _Sir_Charles_'s Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by powersackers View Post
    Even with replay, 3 MLB umpires got this one wrong. (see Chris Young video)

http://mlb.mlb.com/news/article.jsp?...s_mlb&c_id=mlb
    Disagree. It was foul and didn't hit the pole IMO. Ball was curving even further foul.

Flash the leather! _Sir_Charles_'s Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by 757690 View Post
    Tennis uses automated line calls and it has been nearly perfect.

The technology is there. We see it work everywhere. It just may not be PitchFx.
    Much, MUCH simpler format to deal with. The lines never move & they're 2 dimensional. Baseball, it changes from batter to batter, it's a 3 dimensional rectangle...it's MUCH more complicated.

I guess I'll give it a fair shot, but I'm not happy they are going to go with a challenge system. Furthermore, I'm against it because LaDoubleday was one of the 3 who presented the proposal; if he's for it, I'm against it.

I like the challenge system. Just think 3 each is too many. Make it two per team. Or - add a penalty for calling for a challenge and getting overruled. I'd hate to see a system with no limit on the replays. Games are long enough as is.

I also can't wait to see teams try to quick-pitch right after a controversial call in order to try and avoid replay.

I wonder if there are penalties for an upheld challenge?
    Quote Originally Posted by Raisor View Post
    I was wrong
    Quote Originally Posted by Raisor View Post
    Chip is right

Quote Originally Posted by Chip R View Post
    I wonder if there are penalties for an upheld challenge?
    The USA Today story says:

If a manager is successful with his replay challenge, he will not be charged with a review.

If a manager exhausts his three challenges, and umpire crew can make a review of its own only to determine home-run calls, a rule that will be grandfathered in with the new regulations.
    That sounds like you can have unlimited challenges if the umpires rule in your favor.

I have to admit that 3 challenges to each side seem kind of excessive. From attending NFL games nothing is worse than sitting around waiting on a challenge when the temperature is dropping in the 4th quarter.

I like Terry Francona's idea better of adding 1 umpire to each crew. He could sit upstairs and review all the plays and communicate with the crew chief. It would be faster than challenge reviews. This way if a guy sucked at calling balls and strikes at least the video guy could tell him he sucks. Also, it would be less likely that if you showed up an ump by challenging several calls that he would have pay back time when he went behind the plate.
    Last edited by Eric from NC; 08-15-2013 at 04:26 PM.

15. Likes:

Always Red (08-15-2013)

I don't get why you're allowed like one challenge before the sixth inning and then two challenges after the sixth inning. Are calls after the sixth more important than the ones before the sixth inning?
    "Boys, I'm one of those umpires that misses 'em every once in a while so if it's close, you'd better hit it." Cal Hubbard

Quote Originally Posted by George Anderson View Post
    I don't get why you're allowed like one challenge before the sixth inning and then two challenges after the sixth inning. Are calls after the sixth more important than the ones before the sixth inning?
    One thing to consider is I don't believe you get any extra challenges for extra innings, so maybe you hoard one for that scenario.

Turn Off Ads?