Turn Off Ads?
Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst ... 2345678 LastLast

Thread: MLB considering instant replay for everything (except balls & strikes)

Re: MLB considering instant replay for everything (except balls & strikes)

Quote Originally Posted by Brutus View Post
    You do realize that the same technology you speak of that is "already to be proven far, far more accurate than the actual human umpires" grade the human umpires to be 95-96% accurate, right? LOL

That equates to a difference in only about four missed/mistaken called strikes a game max, even if you assume the technology is 99% accurate (which it's not, for all the reasons listed prior).

But hey, permission to carry on with your hyperbole. You've continually overstated things previously so I shouldn't expect any differently in this case. Bottom line is that the technology is really not yet far ahead enough to declare victory. It's still only a barely negligible upgrade.
    Your "accuracy percentages" are pure mumbo jumbo and not even worth discussing. You intentionally misrepresented my post again, which is a frequent event with you. As I mentioned repeatedly, when MLB does implement an automated ball/strike system it won't be the PITCHf/x system (which is extremely accurate) but rather an even more accurate system based on currently available technology.

You can try to pretend the technology isn't available but I think most reasonable people understand that it is available. You just don't want to see it and refuse to acknowledge the obvious. The game is moving forward with instant replay whether you like it or not.

Fans are sick and tired of arrogant, egotistical, incompetent umpires and MLB is finally doing something about it. Fans just want the correct calls to be made. Nothing is more infuriating than watching your team get screwed by an incorrect call, then watching the same umpire that screwed up throw a temper tantrum and eject the players and managers that he victimized with his error.

I am thrilled that baseball is adding extensive new steps to correct blown calls made by umpires. These new technologies are a major leap forward for the sport. The commissioner also said that further steps will be taken in subsequent seasons. LOVE IT!

Just get the dang calls right!

2. Turn Off Ads?

Quote Originally Posted by George Anderson View Post
    I don't get why you're allowed like one challenge before the sixth inning and then two challenges after the sixth inning. Are calls after the sixth more important than the ones before the sixth inning?
    Agreed. That doesn't really make much sense to me either.

Ideally there would not be challenges, just a panel that automatically reviews questionable calls on the fly.

Quote Originally Posted by AtomicDumpling View Post
    Your "accuracy percentages" are pure mumbo jumbo and not even worth discussing. You intentionally misrepresented my post again, which is a frequent event with you. As I mentioned repeatedly, when MLB does implement an automated ball/strike system it won't be the PITCHf/x system (which is extremely accurate) but rather an even more accurate system based on currently available technology.

You can try to pretend the technology isn't available but I think most reasonable people understand that it is available. You just don't want to see it and refuse to acknowledge the obvious. The game is moving forward with instant replay whether you like it or not.

Fans are sick and tired of arrogant, egotistical, incompetent umpires and MLB is finally doing something about it. Fans just want the correct calls to be made. Nothing is more infuriating than watching your team get screwed by an incorrect call, then watching the same umpire that screwed up throw a temper tantrum and eject the players and managers that he victimized with his error.

I am thrilled that baseball is adding extensive new steps to correct blown calls made by umpires. These new technologies are a major leap forward for the sport. The commissioner also said that further steps will be taken in subsequent seasons. LOVE IT!

Just get the dang calls right!
    It's mumbo jumbo because it directly contradicts your hyperbole. Basically you made a ridiculously hyperbolic statement, I countered it with facts, and now you're dismissing the facts because you have no other recourse.

I actually don't care whether a system is implemented. I take issue with the hardheaded fans that clearly have it in for umpires and don't have a clue what goes into umpiring a baseball game, and to rationalize their unfounded hatred of umpires, have to exaggerate ridiculous claims in order to make it sound like the job is worse than it really is.

The technology you love so much say the umpires you constantly rail against are 95-96% correct on average. Sorry but those are the facts. I'm sorry that you don't like that, but it's true.
    "No matter how good you are, you're going to lose one-third of your games. No matter how bad you are you're going to win one-third of your games. It's the other third that makes the difference." ~Tommy Lasorda

5. Likes:

Always Red (08-15-2013),George Anderson (08-15-2013),jimbo (08-15-2013),westofyou (08-15-2013)

Couple of things I found interesting that hasn't had much discussion yet:

- A lot of the articles/news seem to be talking about this as if it's a done deal, but apparently it still needs 75% approval of owners in November before it goes through. Given the way they're talking, they must be pretty confident that they're going to get that.

- The 2014 will be considered a sort of "trial run" and the system may be modified based on what they learn from next year.

- Next season's playoffs may feature some sort of "enhanced" version of the replay system, though exactly how enhanced isn't clear, perhaps based on that learning process.

nothing more than a fan Always Red's Avatar

Challenges? I don't think I'll like it. I'm against anything that increases the time of the games and makes baseball more like football. Red flags flying out of the dugout?

Francona has it right- extra ump upstairs, reviewing all calls, and immediately correcting them. The technology is there. College football does it now.

I don't know, maybe MLB wants to ratchet up the drama?
    sorry we're boring

8. Likes:

alwaysawarrior (08-16-2013),Brutus (08-15-2013)

Making sense of it all Matt700wlw's Avatar

I hope Dusty is better with challenges than Marvin Lewis

rest in power, king Wonderful Monds's Avatar

Not a fan of the challenge system. Just review the whole thing. This is silly.

So MLB going to allow coaches "in the booth signal" down to the dugout to challenge? Or is it going to be up to the manager to make a snap call?

And will they have a red beanbag?
    She used to wake me up with coffee ever morning

Making sense of it all Matt700wlw's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Roy Tucker View Post
    So MLB going to allow coaches "in the booth signal" down to the dugout to challenge? Or is it going to be up to the manager to make a snap call?

And will they have a red beanbag?
    On the pregame, Dusty said he hopes its a red flag lol.

He also wasn't completely sold on the idea at this point.
    Last edited by Matt700wlw; 08-15-2013 at 09:47 PM.

Just glad I got to see the greats -- Piniella, Weaver, Cox, Lasorda, Leyland, Martin, Rose -- argue with umps. I'm guessing this will pretty much kill your dirt-kicking, base-throwing, ump-shoving episodes.

Quote Originally Posted by Always Red View Post
    Challenges? I don't think I'll like it. I'm against anything that increases the time of the games and makes baseball more like football. Red flags flying out of the dugout?

Francona has it right- extra ump upstairs, reviewing all calls, and immediately correcting them. The technology is there. College football does it now.

I don't know, maybe MLB wants to ratchet up the drama?
    I agree. Imagine that this sytem was in place a few years ago but the Tigers had exhausted their challenges before the terrible call that robbed Armando Galarraga of a perfect fame. MLB needs a system to keep that from happening again.
    "Hey...Dad. Wanna Have A Catch?" Kevin Costner in "Field Of Dreams."

I think the challenge system will go away after a year or two of it. Managers will hate because that adds to their many decisions to a game. It will just seem awkward and cumbersome and they will go with how college football does. Every play will be reviewed by someone at the stadium or in a central location. When they have to look at a call closer they will just buzz the crew chief until the judgement is made.
    Reds Fan Since 1971

Add another tally to the "challenges are lame" column. Completely unnecessary. I'm afraid Always Red may be right about trying to add drama.
    Everything that can be counted does not necessarily count; everything that counts cannot necessarily be counted.

All the dishes rattle in the cupboards when the elephants arrive

Ehh, challenges are one way, but after hearing some of the comments, I've changed my mind. Yes, a system of automatic review would be better. Even an old goat can be persuaded to change his mind by you guys.

I can actually see a scenario where this will help speed up a game. With the limited number of challenges the manager will have at any given point in time. He won't be so quick to go out and argue calls on the field anymore. If I was an umpire and a manager came out and started arguing a call, I'd tell him to either challenge it or get off the field!

I think we will start to see a lot less grandstanding by managers now. They now have a mechanism to challenge the bad calls if they feel that strongly that they got hosed. However if they were just grandstanding to try and get more calls to go their way (Larussa was one of the masters of this), the umpires can now put them in their place quickly.
    "I have noticed even people who claim everything is predestined, and that we can do nothing to change it, look before they cross the road." Stephen Hawking

Turn Off Ads?