Turn Off Ads?
Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst ... 345678 LastLast

Thread: MLB considering instant replay for everything (except balls & strikes)

Re: MLB considering instant replay for everything (except balls & strikes)

Quote Originally Posted by Chip R View Post
    It appears they are going with a challenge system much like the NFL and there will be a crew at MLB HQ in NYC reviewing the call much like the NHL.

http://espn.go.com/mlb/story/_/id/95...deo-challenges
    Now it appears they really don't know how this is going to work quite yet.

http://espn.go.com/mlb/blog/_/name/s...ded-replay-mlb
    Quote Originally Posted by Raisor View Post
    I was wrong
    Chip is right

2. Turn Off Ads?

http://www.cincinnati.com/story/blog...eplay/6231401/

The Reds' Sunday game against the Angels is the first of five games this spring to feature the new replay rule, and manager Bryan Price is anxious to use it.

The first questionable call in the game Price sees, he'll use his metaphorical challenge flag.

"You may not get another opportunity to go out there and challenge a call," Price said. "If there's something that happens in the first or second inning, just to get acclimated with the process, you have to challenge early, that's how I feel."
    Price said he's done some "re-boning up" on the rule, and it is his understanding that even without a challenge, he can meet with the umpires and try to influence them into using replay.

That could play into how you see managers approach umpires, as it may behoove them to tone down any Lou Piniella-like tirades.

"I don't know if that's going to work," Price said with a laugh. "The passion will be there if you're adamant about the need to go out there and review that play hell or high water, and you're going to be held hostage if you've already used your challenge, you're kind of held hostage to making that ultimate decision because you've lost your influence. You try to influence, but in the end they hold all the cards. You probably have to decide on diplomacy first and rant-and-rave second."

Besides, he noted, he's not sure he has quite the right form for base throwing.

"I'd probably throw my back out -- and go on the DL," Price said.

Love the idea of using replays for everything. Get it right. But give teams 2 challenges a game. If they're correct, they keep it..if they're wrong they lose it.

Quote Originally Posted by Always Red View Post
    Challenges? I don't think I'll like it. I'm against anything that increases the time of the games and makes baseball more like football. Red flags flying out of the dugout?

Francona has it right- extra ump upstairs, reviewing all calls, and immediately correcting them. The technology is there. College football does it now.

I don't know, maybe MLB wants to ratchet up the drama?

YES...this is the best idea. Ump upstairs...reviewing all calls.

this is great news for the circus, I love the clown car, like $15

I don't want to grow up Red Raindog's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by faffy42 View Post
    YES...this is the best idea. Ump upstairs...reviewing all calls.
    sounds good and all - but they blew the call today

The older I get - the better I was

and yes - I hate the Cardinals (Reds fan since 1958)

I miss Raisor

Quote Originally Posted by Red Raindog View Post
    sounds good and all - but they blew the call today

Here's part of their excuse:

ctrent ‏@ctrent 1h
    MLB's Randy Marsh said the umps got the replay wrong. Many factors will be up on blog later. Called it 'an umpire's nightmare'
    ctrent ‏@ctrent 55m
    b/c it's spring training, replay officials only had 4 views — none of them the one seen on TV. They'll have all instantly in regular season

http://www.cincinnati.com/story/blog...stake/6239755/

The replay official, Gerry Davis, had just four replay angels to choose from, none of them were the one showed on TV.
    While Davis was on site in a TV truck, during the regular season, the replays will be reviewed at a central office in New York, where a dedicated umpiring crew will watch all of the day's games. On Sunday, the five umpires working the game rotated, with each getting a turn handling the replays.
    Price immediately came out to challenge the call, claiming Santiago tagged Conger before he got to the bag, while Reynolds said Santiago didn't tag him.

After conferring, the umpires on the field sent it to Davis in the truck to review the play. Davis was working with four different camera angles, -- all from static cameras and none with zooming capabilities -- and after a delay of two minutes and 15 seconds, ruled there wasn't conclusive evidence to overturn the call. Only after that was made official, did Davis get the fifth angle, the one that was shown on TV.

"It was an umpire's nightmare," said Randy Marsh, MLB's Director of Major League Umpires and a Northern Kentucky resident. "With that view, they would have flipped the call, but they didn't get it until it was over."
    During the regular season, all replays will be handled at a central office in New York, where umpires will have at least 12 different camera angles, all with zooming capabilities, for every game.

Price was not too terribly upset that the call didn't go the Reds way, since replay records, like the rest of spring training records, don't count.

"I'm aware of what happened, but (still happy) as far as how the protocols go, and engaging and the do's and don't's," Price said. "One thing that was terrific was that they converged first to make sure you don't unnecessarily use a challenge if one of the umpires had a better vantage point, a clearer vantage point and can overturn the call before using the challenge. That puts the onus on the other manager if he wants to challenge and then turn around that call. Pretty interesting stuff. It was good to have an opportunity to utilize it."

I don't want to grow up Red Raindog's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by PepperJack View Post
    Here's part of their excuse:
    OK -- I'll buy that -- of course it shows they weren't really prepared
    The older I get - the better I was

and yes - I hate the Cardinals (Reds fan since 1958)

I miss Raisor

Quote Originally Posted by Red Raindog View Post
    OK -- I'll buy that -- of course it shows they weren't really prepared
    It makes me wonder what's going to happen for those weekday day games where the game isn't televised. Of course there will be some cameras there but not to the extent of a regularly televised game.
    I was wrong
    Chip is right

I am wondering who are the ones in NYC that will be doing the review of plays? Are they retired umpires or current ones on a rotation to do that? Or someone else? I can see umpires really covering for their buddies on the field. Unless a play is totally botched I can see them using the old "inconclusive" excuse quite a bit.
    Reds Fan Since 1971

Quote Originally Posted by Chip R View Post
    It makes me wonder what's going to happen for those weekday day games where the game isn't televised. Of course there will be some cameras there but not to the extent of a regularly televised game.
    If it isn't covered by the Reds TV it will be on the other teams RSN. Every regular season game is on tv somewhere now. Regular season camera angles should not be an issue.

I am wondering who are the ones in NYC that will be doing the review of plays? Are they retired umpires or current ones on a rotation to do that? Or someone else? I can see umpires really covering for their buddies on the field. Unless a play is totally botched I can see them using the old "inconclusive" excuse quite a bit.
    I believe it is current umpires making a rotation through NYC. I don't see why upholding a wrong call would be helping his friend out, umpires want it to be right and not be a goat.
    Last edited by RadfordVA; 03-10-2014 at 09:40 AM.

Putting on my project manager hat. ....

There is a big difference between a guy "going out to the truck" and hooking in a major remote video center in NYC. If I have a system going live in 3 weeks and I have yet to have a live pilot of it, I'd be plenty worried. Just ask the healthcare.gov people how that works.
    She used to wake me up with coffee ever morning

Sprinkles are for winners dougdirt's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Roy Tucker View Post
    Putting on my project manager hat. ....

There is a big difference between a guy "going out to the truck" and hooking in a major remote video center in NYC. If I have a system going live in 3 weeks and I have yet to have a live pilot of it, I'd be plenty worried. Just ask the healthcare.gov people how that works.
    MLB has the best technology in the world. I don't doubt that they can get it right. Other companies, big huge ones, come to MLBAM to figure out how to make things work or even just pay them to make it work for them (NCAA College Basketball for example). There will be zero issues from a technology standpoint when this goes live.

Quote Originally Posted by dougdirt View Post
    MLB has the best technology in the world. I don't doubt that they can get it right. Other companies, big huge ones, come to MLBAM to figure out how to make things work or even just pay them to make it work for them (NCAA College Basketball for example). There will be zero issues from a technology standpoint when this goes live.
    Yeah, you're probably right. They do a lot of propeller-head things very well. This incident made me wonder though. It struck me as curious. Probably unnecessary concern on my part.
    She used to wake me up with coffee ever morning

Turn Off Ads?