Turn Off Ads?
Page 63 of 67 FirstFirst ... 1353596061626364656667 LastLast

Thread: SEC Football discussion thread #2

Re: Ohio State Football 2013

Quote Originally Posted by *BaseClogger* View Post
    I'm hoping to hear that excuse again come January...
    Wait. I thought only SEC fans root for other teams inside their conference?!?!?!?

When all is said and done more is said than done.

2. Likes:

*BaseClogger* (12-11-2013),jojo (12-11-2013),New York Red (12-11-2013),WMR (12-11-2013)

3. Turn Off Ads?

I'm hoping to hear that excuse again come January...
    I'm glad the Big Ten homers have set this up ahead of time so no excuses can be made for the SEC having favorable matchups. If they outperform Vegas I expect you folks to give them props since you brought it up.

I'm a college football fan who happens to think that the SEC is tops. I enjoy watching the games on New Years Day. If the SEC has a down year, that's fine. It's out of my control. I'll be happy to come back in here and discuss what happened on the field. As you now know, I'm a big UT-Knoxville guy but that doesn't stop me from calling a spade a spade when they don't perform. I call it like I see it

Re: SEC Football discussion thread #2

Quote Originally Posted by Chip R View Post
    Mack Brown isn't exactly chopped liver as far as coaching goes. You have to figure they think Saban's in the bag if they are getting rid of Mack.
    Brown is over the hill. Only coach who has underachieved more than him the last several years is their basketball coach.

"So Fla Red"

Pac-12 and SEC need to create a couple of bowl matchups. Unfortunately neither conference will travel outside its territorial footprint for any scheduled tie-ins. The Pac-12 and SEC have played one bowl game in the BCS era (Auburn/Oregon) and the top teams never play each other in the regular season which is ludicrous since they are often the top two conferences in any given year.

Since some are seeking an argument on an Ohio State board against the knowledge of Vegas insiders favoring Wisconsin over #9 SC. The top 3 of the B1G are as good as any other conference's top 3 this season as validated by the Vegas lines and the SEC, while having many solid teams in the middle, isn't quite as strong beyond the top 1-2 as in years past.

Beyond the top three, the B1G is mediocre at best with three traditional national programs (Mich, PSU and Nebraska) all irrelevant once again. The conference isn't going to get any better, given the TV market over football relevance route Jim Delaney took with the last two conference adds, until two of those three programs get back to relevance. Nebraska isn't a gut check for anything except the ineptitude of Bo Pellini and the AD to upgrade the staff on a once proud football program.

I'll go for all B1G this year except Michigan, but not going to lose any sleep if Minnesota and the Fighting Pellini's can't eek out a win in respective third tier bowls.

The antiquated bowl system with half empty stadiums in 80% of the games is more and more a farce each year. There aren't but 3-4 compelling games on the entire slate this season and that's probably being generous. NC, Rose, Orange and maybe Wisconsin/SC. I'd expect the lowest ratings in years across the board.

7. Likes:

Sea Ray (12-11-2013)

"So Fla Red"

The Texas job for the top NCAA coaches is the equivalent of LA not having an NFL franchise. License to blackmail. So far Briles, Sumlin, Malzahn and Saban have cashed in and I'm probably missing a few.

Every NCAA coach would love the Texas job to remain unsettled for the next couple of years. These divas absolutely love having that carrot hanging over their ADs.

Odd that Saban hasn't issued an emphatic denial. I'd expect he signs a new Bama contract by the end of the week. Otherwise, he's probably gone.

Quote Originally Posted by oregonred View Post
    The Texas job for the top NCAA coaches is the equivalent of LA not having an NFL franchise. License to blackmail. So far Briles, Sumlin, Malzahn and Saban have cashed in and I'm probably missing a few.

Every NCAA coach would love the Texas job to remain unsettled for the next couple of years. These divas absolutely love having that carrot hanging over their ADs.

Odd that Saban hasn't issued an emphatic denial. I'd expect he signs a new Bama contract by the end of the week. Otherwise, he's probably gone.
    He's had an extension sitting on his desk since last Friday that would supposedly bump him significantly higher in salary...
    "This isn’t stats vs scouts - this is stats and scouts working together, building an organization that blends the best of both worlds. This is the blueprint for how a baseball organization should be run. And, whether the baseball men of the 20th century like it or not, this is where baseball is going."---Dave Cameron, U.S.S. Mariner

These are probably my favorite non-BCS match-ups of bowl season, as they are a real gut-check for the SEC-B1G argument.

Nebraska has been without four-year starter Taylor Martinez for most of the season so there is no QB excuse in that game...
    I don't know if I agree with that. If Houston beats Vandy, is that a gut check for the SEC relative to the American? Not in my opinion. But if Ohio State had played Alabama or Auburn for example, that would have potential for a gut check. Royalty v. royalty is where the real statement is made.
    How do we know he's not Mel Torme?

Quote Originally Posted by Sea Ray View Post
    I'm glad the Big Ten homers have set this up ahead of time so no excuses can be made for the SEC having favorable matchups. If they outperform Vegas I expect you folks to give them props since you brought it up.
    The SEC *should* have favorable match-ups, shouldn't it? They have 14 teams and essentially get to play home games...

Quote Originally Posted by wolfboy View Post
    I don't know if I agree with that. If Houston beats Vandy, is that a gut check for the SEC relative to the American? Not in my opinion. But if Ohio State had played Alabama or Auburn for example, that would have potential for a gut check. Royalty v. royalty is where the real statement is made.
    Why is royalty vs. royalty the only statement? Do we judge conferences entirely by their top teams now?

The SEC *should* have favorable match-ups, shouldn't it? They have 14 teams and essentially get to play home games...
    It's 700 miles from Baton Rouge to Orlando.

Durham is much closer to ATL than College Station.

Nashville is pretty much equidistant from Oxford and Atlanta.

Ok. So what we have here is Jacksonville is closer to Athens than Lincoln, right?

Quote Originally Posted by dabvu2498 View Post

Ok. So what we have here is Jacksonville is closer to Athens than Lincoln, right?
    I've often thought of Pasadena as a suburb of Auburn.
    "This isn’t stats vs scouts - this is stats and scouts working together, building an organization that blends the best of both worlds. This is the blueprint for how a baseball organization should be run. And, whether the baseball men of the 20th century like it or not, this is where baseball is going."---Dave Cameron, U.S.S. Mariner

15. Likes:

New York Red (12-11-2013)

Quote Originally Posted by dabvu2498 View Post

You've got me there.

Is it normal for the SEC to be playing so many southern schools in bowl games this year?

You've got me there.

Is it normal for the SEC to be playing so many southern schools in bowl games this year?
    They play college football outside the South???

To answer your question, yes. You've got the Cotton, then 3 SEC-Big Ten games and then a bunch of SEC-ACC matchups. The only one that has varied much is the Liberty Bowl.

And I agree with oregon above... The SEC and Pac 10 should arrange at least one bowl meeting every year. I think the Sun Bowl would be a fine locale for that kind of game.

Quote Originally Posted by jojo View Post
    He's had an extension sitting on his desk since last Friday that would supposedly bump him significantly higher in salary...
    I'm sure at this point it's not about money. He can pick where he wants to be and fill in the blanks on a new contract wherever he chooses

Why is royalty vs. royalty the only statement? Do we judge conferences entirely by their top teams now?
    No. Lesser matchups are part of the equation. Nonetheless, I'd hardly place mid-tier bowl matchups in the "gut check" category. Let's be honest: the SEC enjoys its current prestige because of its solid monopoly on the BCS championship - that doesn't change if Georgia beats Nebraska, or Vandy beats Houston. That's why I think an Ohio State v. 'Bama game would have been so compelling. It would have tested the throne. Likewise, if Florida State stomps Auburn, that will be a legitimate gut-check. But it's not gonna happen if Nebraska beats Georgia.
    How do we know he's not Mel Torme?

Turn Off Ads?