Turn Off Ads?
Page 22 of 67 FirstFirst ... 1218192021222324252632 ... LastLast

Thread: SEC Football discussion thread #2

Re: SEC Football discussion thread #2

The Iron Bowl is shaping up to be a pretty big game. Can Auburn beat Alabama?
    Hugs, smiling, and interactive Twitter accounts, don't mean winning baseball. Until this community understands that we are cursed to relive the madness.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Quote Originally Posted by LoganBuck View Post
    The Iron Bowl is shaping up to be a pretty big game. Can Auburn beat Alabama?
    All bets are generally off in the Iron Bowl but Bama might come in as at least 7 pt favorites.

Auburn is having a great season and there aren't many teams with better running games or special teams. The Tigers are going to score points and that includes through the air. But Auburn has an Achilles heal that Bama should be able to exploit. Auburn's linebackers are below average as a whole and due to attrition in the offseason and injuries during the season, they have depth issues in the secondary. Auburn's defense has struggled against traditional running attacks because the gap coverage has exposed their LBers. It's a good matchup for Bama's offense. Bama has a freshman tight end that is simply a beast. He might have his coming out party in Jordan-Hare.

While Bama will slow Auburn's run game, theyll get hurt by it and it's a mistake to assume that Auburn can't throw the ball just because they've jammed the same three running plays down their last few opponent's throats.

But let's see how the Georgia game goes first. Then the Tigers get two weeks to prepare for Bama. But I generally think Auburn needs turnovers and the magic wand that causes crazy ****e to happen in the Iron Bowl to be waving for the upset to happen.
    "This isn’t stats vs scouts - this is stats and scouts working together, building an organization that blends the best of both worlds. This is the blueprint for how a baseball organization should be run. And, whether the baseball men of the 20th century like it or not, this is where baseball is going."---Dave Cameron, U.S.S. Mariner

Quote Originally Posted by jojo View Post
    Vandy is knocking the snot out of the Gators and the Vols have simply been emasculated by Auburn. I think the epicenter of college football in Tennessee is in Nashville.
    I think I'd be generous if I called the Vols defense yesterday "high school" level. It was piss-poor. I understand Auburn's top 10 and all but they let Auburn run right through them with simple runs around left tackle where the UT players were so out of position, all Auburn had to do was execute one block. Auburn is to be congratulated on their swift turnaround. To be back in the top 10 so quickly after being as bad as Tennessee very recently, is to be envied.

As to where the epicenter of Tennessee football is, we'll find out in two weeks. This will be decided on the field in Knoxville. I sure hope UT uses the off week to coach some defense

Quote Originally Posted by Sea Ray View Post
    I think I'd be generous if I called the Vols defense yesterday "high school" level. It was piss-poor. I understand Auburn's top 10 and all but they let Auburn run right through them with simple runs around left tackle where the UT players were so out of position, all Auburn had to do was execute one block. Auburn is to be congratulated on their swift turnaround. To be back in the top 10 so quickly after being as bad as Tennessee very recently, is to be envied.

As to where the epicenter of Tennessee football is, we'll find out in two weeks. This will be decided on the field in Knoxville. I sure hope UT uses the off week to coach some defense
    It's pretty tough to coach up a lack of speed. The Vols defense can't defend sideline to sideline. I've never see so much space open up so quickly on the outside.
    "This isn’t stats vs scouts - this is stats and scouts working together, building an organization that blends the best of both worlds. This is the blueprint for how a baseball organization should be run. And, whether the baseball men of the 20th century like it or not, this is where baseball is going."---Dave Cameron, U.S.S. Mariner

It's pretty tough to coach up a lack of speed. The Vols defense can't defend sideline to sideline. I've never see so much space open up so quickly on the outside.
    Tennessee clearly has a talent problem. Hopefully the outstanding 2014 recruiting class Butch Jones is working on comes to fruition, but I also saw a ton of blown assignments on the defensive side for Tenn. It's simple for them now. Either beat bot Vandy and Ky or go home. If youcan't beat those two teams then you're not good enough for a Bowl anyway

Looks like Saban beat out Michigan and Florida to get the #1 recruit in the country to come to Bama.

http://footballrecruiting.rivals.com...80&CID=1575076
    Quote Originally Posted by Raisor View Post
    I was wrong
    Quote Originally Posted by Raisor View Post
    Chip is right

Quote Originally Posted by Chip R View Post
    Looks like Saban beat out Michigan and Florida to get the #1 recruit in the country to come to Bama.

http://footballrecruiting.rivals.com...80&CID=1575076
    Doesn't he always? Same old, same old

I'll take your trolling as a resounding "YES, it does count, jojo".

But if it will somehow lessen the inner turmoil that you're struggling with, you can again add me to the large list of those that have you on ignore.

Yah, for you!
    It's seriously not worth getting this upset over the fact that you're not Alabama.

My own inner turmoil is doing just fine at the moment, although it's certainly kind of you to attempt such a thinly veiled personal attack.

Your feelings of self-importance that led you to so haughtily inform me that I was being placed on ignore is the same grandiosity that leads you to fight so many people on this board over such petty, small matters.

Carry on!
    Last edited by WMR; 11-15-2013 at 10:27 PM.

Do you actually watch Vandy games?
    wow...

Sorry I'm just now reading back on this thread.

Is someone going to reel jojo in? This used to be a nice thread.

I'm stoked for today's game between Auburn and Georgia.

First it's an intense rivalry that dates back to 1890 (18 flipping 90!) and there have been too many memorable games that have impacted the fortunes of either program-and indeed the national landscape- to even begin listing them. Today's game is no exception-it's an important one for both teams.

Second, it's been crazy how much jawing the two fan bases have been doing back and forth this weekend. Auburn is back. How do we know? Dawg fans are foaming at the mouth and they are nervous. It's on this afternoon baby!

Third, I don't have a clue who will win and that is exactly why we watch college football. Auburn is good enough to beat Georgia. Georgia is good enough to beat Auburn. I don't think either team is good enough to blow the other out absent the usual caveats about injuries or turnovers. I'm kind of expecting another Texas A&M type game with the final score in the range of 45 to 41. I'm hoping Auburn has the ball last.

Fourth, the likely strategic decisions create some really juicy story lines. Auburn has feasted on the zone read to the point that they haven't even bothered to pass the ball in like a month. Georgia's defensive strength lies with their D-line and especially with their athletic linebackers. I look for Georgia to try and attack the zone read by attempting to blow up the point of attack before a read can be made, much like Bama tried to do in the 2010 Iron Bowl versus Cam. Georgia has the horses to make some hay if they adopt this aggressive but risky approach. Auburn will likely counter with a similar strategy as what they employed with Texas A&M, i.e. get more receivers on the field and force Georgia to adjust as Auburn attacks Georgia's aggression. Auburn has great speed at the skill positions but it's also coupled with tremendous physicality. If Auburn can attack Georgia's secondary at will, they will crush Georgia's over matched personnel. In other words, this game may end up looking like there was no defense but the reality of it may be that we get to see some of the most aggressive slobberknocking mano to mano of this afternoon's slate of games.

On defense, the Tigers also have an interesting choice. Will Johnson choose to allow Georgia to be balanced or willl he try to force them to be one dimensional, and if the latter-does he chose being cut on the ground or through the air. I'm guessing he'll force Georgia to throw it. Auburn's D line has progressively gotten better at pressuring the QB and their secondary has done a great job in coverage. I think Johnson would love to see Georgia throw the ball 50 times if for no other reason than Gus would love to see Auburn run 90 plays.

Anyway, it'll be fun watching the chess match between the sidelines and the test on the field. I'd love to see Auburn win because this is a true rivalry game (and that's the great thing about the SEC-you get several of these every year-not just one). But also it would set up an insane next couple of weeks as Auburn would go into the Iron Bowl 10-1 to face what in all likelihood would be an undefeated Bama.

Auburn is going to run the ball but Marshall will need to make Georgia pay through the air. Murray is going to pass but the question is whether Georgia will be able to dictate things on the ground.

It will be a violent game and Auburn's running attack is both ferocious in its power and scary in its explosiveness. I tend to think the fourth quarter will belong to the Tigers as they wear the Georgia D down. But that assumes that Auburn will be able to move the ball during the first three quarters.

It generally doesn't get any better than this time of year as Auburn heads into Amen corner (Georgia, Bama, SEC championship game) because tilts between these traditional powerhouses have generally decided the fate of the nation. Not only is the normal buzz back this year but the air on the Plains is absolutely electric.

Quote Originally Posted by dabvu2498 View Post
    No Vanderbilt football player has ever played in 2 bowl games. Ever.

My prediction: that will be untrue by the time this year's freshmen graduate. And I'm a pessimist.
    Those freshmen will be playing in their THIRD straight bowl game now as juniors.
    When all is said and done more is said than done.

Those freshmen will be playing in their THIRD straight bowl game now as juniors.
    Impressive taking care of business game today.

Oh my gosh! WAR EAGLE!

Comparing the Bowl experiences of today's college football players is like comparing post season baseball records of today's MLB players. Today there are so many more Bowl games, ditto for post season in MLB. Only until very recently could a college football team earn a Bowl bid with a 6-6 record, thus it means very little to say that a team has gone to a Bowl 3 yrs in a row now vs teams in the past where only a 9-2 record would have earned them Bowl status

Oh my gosh! WAR EAGLE!
    Or is it Tiger? I don't know what the folks in Auburn are calling themselves these days

Turn Off Ads?