Turn Off Ads?
Page 26 of 67 FirstFirst ... 1622232425262728293036 ... LastLast

Thread: SEC Football discussion thread #2

Re: SEC Football discussion thread #2

Quote Originally Posted by jojo View Post
    It's not being a debbie downer or deconstructing a signing class to point out that the Vols current list of commitments isn't actually representative of the second best in the nation-at has as much to do with bodies as it has to due with quality and by arguing it's the second best in america, you're comparing it to programs that clearly have better average quality but 16 fewer current commitments.

The point is that it's misleading.
    It's a very good class at this point. If you want to argue that it's a top ten class but not a #2 class, go right ahead. Fact is we need bodies so I'm glad we've got numbers. I am wondering how many scholarships UT has to give out in 2014.

2. Turn Off Ads?

The real question is how many of them will be able to early enroll in January and be counted against their 2013 numbers.
    When all is said and done more is said than done.

4. Likes:

jojo (11-25-2013)

Quote Originally Posted by Sea Ray View Post
    It's a very good class at this point. If you want to argue that it's a top ten class but not a #2 class, go right ahead. Fact is we need bodies so I'm glad we've got numbers. I am wondering how many scholarships UT has to give out in 2014.
    I'm arguing that perspective is pretty important concerning building something brick by brick.... At the close of signing day, when everyone else catches up and comparisons are between signing classes that are actually full, the Vols might end up with th 8th best class.......in the SEC.

And that is the point-context makes a huge difference when talking about turnarounds.
    "This isn’t stats vs scouts - this is stats and scouts working together, building an organization that blends the best of both worlds. This is the blueprint for how a baseball organization should be run. And, whether the baseball men of the 20th century like it or not, this is where baseball is going."---Dave Cameron, U.S.S. Mariner

I'm arguing that perspective is pretty important concerning building something brick by brick.... At the close of signing day, when everyone else catches up and comparisons are between signing classes that are actually full, the Vols might end up with th 8th best class.......in the SEC.

And that is the point-context makes a huge difference when talking about turnarounds.
    They might end up with the #8 class or it might be #1. We'll have to wait and see. I do know that their recruit ranking looks a heck of a lot better now than it did during any November of Derek Dooley's reign

Quote Originally Posted by dabvu2498 View Post
    Georgia Southern!!!
    hahahahahaha, I was told the SEC is light years ahead of everyone else in college football.

8. Likes:

jimbo (11-25-2013)

Wow buckeye fan lecturing anyone on elitist attitudes.

Fact is that Tennessee hasn't been competitive by SEC standards for half a decade. That's inarguable.

The Vols won't make a bowl appearance for the third straight season. That's not even competitive by lowly Big 10 standards.
    Yea, except I don't think you will be able to demonstrate that attitude in my posts, so please do not include me in your broad, sweeping generalizations about a fan base. I don't think you appreciate guilt by association anymore than I do.
    "Rounding 3rd and heading for home, good night everybody"

I don't apologize for that where the SEC is concerned.
    Pride comes before a fall.

Quote Originally Posted by traderumor View Post
    Pride comes before a fall.
    We know from Sir Isaac Newton that what goes up must come down but it's difficult to overstate what the SEC has accomplished on the field in their run of national titles. I doubt we'll see another conference match this in our lifetimes and most of those championship games have been blowouts

They might end up with the #8 class or it might be #1. We'll have to wait and see. I do know that their recruit ranking looks a heck of a lot better now than it did during any November of Derek Dooley's reign
    There is no way it will be the #1 recruiting class-they've maxed out their offers and there is only one way to go----down in the rankings.
    "This isn’t stats vs scouts - this is stats and scouts working together, building an organization that blends the best of both worlds. This is the blueprint for how a baseball organization should be run. And, whether the baseball men of the 20th century like it or not, this is where baseball is going."---Dave Cameron, U.S.S. Mariner

Yea, except I don't think you will be able to demonstrate that attitude in my posts, so please do not include me in your broad, sweeping generalizations about a fan base. I don't think you appreciate guilt by association anymore than I do.
    Your argument was demonstratably wrong.

There is no way it will be the #1 recruiting class-they've maxed out their offers and there is only one way to go----down in the rankings.
    Probably not but they could drop some of their lesser recruits if more talented ones commit. Being a fan of the SEC, I'm sure you've seen that happen before. Also Auburn (or another program) could plunk more recruits off of Alabama's list. So anything can happen at this point.

Let's get back to the here and now. I think the Iron Bowl this year favors Alabama due to the lack of a passing game for your Tigers. But if Auburn can pull off the upset and win the SEC championship game a week later, do you think a one loss Auburn team should be in the BCS Championship game?

Probably not but they could drop some of their lesser recruits if more talented ones commit. Being a fan of the SEC, I'm sure you've seen that happen before. Also Auburn (or another program) could plunk more recruits off of Alabama's list. So anything can happen at this point.
    Actually that would be a very, very bad thing for the Vols staff to do and it would kill their recruiting.

Let's get back to the here and now. I think the Iron Bowl this year favors Alabama due to the lack of a passing game for your Tigers. But if Auburn can pull off the upset and win the SEC championship game a week later, do you think a one loss Auburn team should be in the BCS Championship game?
    Bama is the best defense that Auburn will face. However, Auburn's run game is easily the best that Bama's defense will face. Auburn is going to move the ball and get their yards.

If Auburn wins, it'll be an upset as Auburn is clearly the underdog but not because of the reasons talking heads are giving.

For instance, Auburn can pass the ball effectively. Auburn is gaining 180 yds/game through the air. When your running attack is the best in the nation, 180/yds per game through the air is more than enough. The notion that Auburn can't effectively throw the ball simply isn't accurate. Outside of one set of downs in the 4th quarter against Georgia, Auburn threw the ball effectively whenever it wanted to throw it. If it comes down to it, Auburn can win this game by throwing. Now things are clearly going Bama's way if Auburn has to throw it 40 times but I'd expect a more balanced attack than talking heads are assuming.

Also, Auburn's offense isn't some gimmicky thing that wilts when punched in the mouth. Auburn's offense is extremely physical and frankly pretty straightforward. They just have so many weapons the defense has to defend against three options on any given play. If people are expecting big bad Bama to come into Jordan-Hare and bully Auburn, it isn't going to happen. In terms of physicality, this one is going to be like the 2010 IB, a very physical, hard hitting slobber knocker.

Assuming that usual caveats that both teams execute and don't have turnovers (which is probably a good assumption since both coaching staffs are extremely anal about attention to detail and neither team is going to come in unprepared), the difference in this game will likely come down to 1) linebackers and depth on defense-Alabama has great linebackers and is at least two deep everywhere while Auburn's linebackers are a weakness and because of injury and attrition, the secondary is thin and 2) outcomes in the redszone.

But really, if Auburn's Oline can control Bama's front, keeping Bama from blowing up the zone read at the point of attack and Auburn can get pressure on McCarron, all bets are off. If not, alot of Buckeye fans will be dissapointed.

I think this one will be like typical iron bowls. It very well could go down to the final minutes of the game and the winner will know that they've been through something and will be glad to have it in their rear-view mirror.

Your argument was demonstratably wrong.
    I assume you mean "demonstrably." From "you are one to talk, Buckeye fan" to "you are very, very wrong." Such insight certainly does not meet SEC standards.
    Last edited by traderumor; 11-25-2013 at 12:27 PM.

I assume you mean "demonstrably." From "you are one to talk, Buckeye fan" to "you are very, very wrong." Such insight certainly does not meet SEC standards.
    You're seriously hurting your credibility by your puzzling stance on this.

The Vols are 5-25 in their last 30 SEC games, have had just one winning season in the last six posting a 32-41 record over that span and this season marks their third in a row in which they won't go to a bowl game. They've had 4 head coaches in 6 seasons.

And you're arguing that it's "elitist" to suggest such performance is not only not up to Tennesee's traditional standards, its not up to SEC standards?

Newsflash, not being competitive, especially against conference opponents is the very definition of not being up to a conference's standards.

It's no small wonder that on this issue all you have are throw away comments and nods to autocorrect.

I get your whole motivation was to drop into an SEC thread and somehow paint fans of SEC programs as being out of touch and snobbish. But seriously this is reflecting very poorly on you and it really begs the question concerning how out of touch one would have to be in order to suggest the Vols recent performance is up to SEC standards. There is zero about the Vols' last half decade that is up to standards-and this would be true even if the Vols played in the Big Ten.

You're seriously hurting your credibility by your puzzling stance on this.

The Vols are 5-25 in their last 30 SEC games, have had just one winning season in the last six posting a 32-41 record over that span and this season marks their third in a row in which they won't go to a bowl game. They've had 4 head coaches in 6 seasons.

And you're arguing that it's "elitist" to suggest such performance is not only not up to Tennesee's traditional standards, its not up to SEC standards?

Newsflash, not being competitive, especially against conference opponents is the very definition of not being up to a conference's standards.

It's no small wonder that on this issue all you have are throw away comments and nods to autocorrect.

I get your whole motivation was to drop into an SEC thread and somehow paint fans of SEC programs as being out of touch and snobbish. But seriously this is reflecting very poorly on you and it really begs the question concerning how out of touch one would have to be in order to suggest the Vols recent performance is up to SEC standards. There is zero about the Vols' last half decade that is up to standards-and this would be true even if the Vols played in the Big Ten.
    How I make myself look is my problem, don't you think? But I do appreciate the unsolicited advice. And you understand nothing about my motivations.

I was not aware there were performance standards in conferences. Are these available in a Word document or in pdf format somewhere? I Googled, didn't find anything. Conferences have pathetic programs, once proud ones that hit down cycles and so forth. I guess this is just another area the SEC is ahead of the curve, eh? That is the "elitist" nature I was shamefully referring to in the original poster's comment.

Turn Off Ads?