Turn Off Ads?
Page 29 of 67 FirstFirst ... 1925262728293031323339 ... LastLast

Thread: SEC Football discussion thread #2

Re: SEC Football discussion thread #2

Quote Originally Posted by jojo View Post
    Doyel calls it as he sees it.... The Iron Bowl is the greatest rivalry game in sports.

http://mweb.cbssports.com/general/wr...-tops-them-all
    One argument to make a distinction--same state. They're both good right now as a secondary argument. A little light on argumentation, but then its a subject a little light on objective distinctions.

For the record, Michigan fans are all over Ohio, not just Toledo, showing a little ignorance by the author. Easy pickings this year since the most well-known rivalries have one or both teams in down cycles.
    "Rounding 3rd and heading for home, good night everybody"

2. Turn Off Ads?

Quote Originally Posted by traderumor View Post
    One argument to make a distinction--same state. They're both good right now as a secondary argument. A little light on argumentation, but then its a subject a little light on objective distinctions.

For the record, Michigan fans are all over Ohio, not just Toledo, showing a little ignorance by the author. Easy pickings this year since the most well-known rivalries have one or both teams in down cycles.
    He didn't argue just this year though. He argued the game itself represents the biggest rivalry in sports regardless of year.
    "This isn’t stats vs scouts - this is stats and scouts working together, building an organization that blends the best of both worlds. This is the blueprint for how a baseball organization should be run. And, whether the baseball men of the 20th century like it or not, this is where baseball is going."---Dave Cameron, U.S.S. Mariner

"This isn’t stats vs scouts - this is stats and scouts working together, building an organization that blends the best of both worlds. This is the blueprint for how a baseball organization should be run. And, whether the baseball men of the 20th century like it or not, this is where baseball is going."---Dave Cameron, U.S.S. Mariner

Lose to Michigan and it sucks for Ohio State fans for a little while...
    Pffft.... This author is very mistaken. I haven't gotten over the 1969 loss to UM yet.

I think both Michigan and OSU fans will disagree with this article.
    She used to wake me up with coffee ever morning

6. Likes:

traderumor (11-29-2013)

He didn't argue just this year though. He argued the game itself represents the biggest rivalry in sports regardless of year.
    If you want to interpret "year in and year out" as the intent, now you're left with the "same state" solitary argument. No one can tell it like it is with a solitary argument.

If you want to interpret "year in and year out" as the intent, now you're left with the "same state" solitary argument. No one can tell it like it is with a solitary argument.
    I'm pretty sure that you didn't really read the article for content.

This is the biggest rivalry in college sports, and it's not particularly close, and not because the stakes this year are so incredibly high. It's the biggest rivalry in college sports because that's what it is year in, year out. The only thing that compares is in basketball -- and no, not Duke-Carolina, because Duke and Carolina have never met in the Final Four.

Kentucky and Louisville have. They met in the Final Four just 18 months ago, their coaches throw gas on the fire by taking shots at each other, and given that there's no professional sports in the state -- and no other Division I program of national relevance -- Kentucky-Louisville is a game that plays out 365 days a year.

And even that isn't as intense as Alabama-Auburn.

It's the late-season timing of the game, the us-or-them makeup of the state and the force of football, which for whatever reason is the most viscerally followed sport in America. Other countries convulse over their version of football. Here, we go nuts over ours in a way that trumps how we treat all other sports.

And nobody goes nuts for football like people in Alabama.

For one thing, they don't have anything else to distract them. No major professional franchises in the state, or even within 200 miles of Tuscaloosa, and no college basketball tradition to speak of. It's football year 'round there, whether it's spring practice or recruiting or the real thing, those four months in the fall when Alabama and Auburn do what they do with one eye on the task at hand and the other eye on that school 160 miles up the road.

I'm pretty sure that you didn't really read the article for content.
    Read every last word. Just didn't read them through the lens of a fan of one the programs like you did. You really need to tone down the insults. I'm pretty sick of it.
    Last edited by traderumor; 11-29-2013 at 08:49 PM.

Read every last word. Just didn't read them through the lens of a fan of one the programs like you did.
    Sure you did. But guess what? The "lens" you accuse was Doyel's. But I've experienced the Civil War, the Iron Bowl, and the Game. Doyel nailed a bullseye.

Crazy finish.

That was a great great game.

I imagine that Bama kicker's twitter mentions won't be pretty heh.

Quote Originally Posted by Stray View Post
    That was a great great game.

I imagine that Bama kicker's twitter mentions won't be pretty heh.
    I hope he has body guards because history suggests Bama fan doesn't deal well.

Quote Originally Posted by Roy Tucker View Post
    Pffft.... This author is very mistaken. I haven't gotten over the 1969 loss to UM yet.

I think both Michigan and OSU fans will disagree with this article.
    As someone who is impartial to all four schools, for me the Alabama/Auburn football game is easily a bigger deal than Ohio State/Michigan. Of course Ohio State and Michigan fans are going to disagree.

16. Likes:

Sea Ray (12-01-2013),Stray (11-30-2013),wolfboy (11-30-2013)

Personally as far as rivalries go, its not on my radar. I could not care less about these two or most college football rivalries. One of my best friends from high school works with Auburn, so I'm glad they won, but really it pales to me against a lot of other rivalries in which I have vested interest.

Championships for MY teams in my lifetime:
    Cincinnati Reds - 75, 76, 90
    Chicago Blackhawks - 10, 13, 15
    University of Kentucky - 78, 96, 98, 12
    Chicago Bulls - 91, 92, 93, 96, 97, 98

“Everything that happens before Death is what counts.”
    ― Ray Bradbury, Something Wicked This Way Comes

NL Central champs

Quote Originally Posted by VottoFan54 View Post
    I'm excited to play Auburn. They have so much hype and hope, but I still think we win by 20. It will likely be a 1 vs 4 matchup after Baylor loses tonight.
    Wow! I'm here to eat my words, I was wrong. Auburn is better than I thought and Bama isn't as good as I thought. Tough loss. We played horrible and got out-coached. That has to be one of the greatest college football games ever.

Turn Off Ads?