Turn Off Ads?
Page 6 of 67 FirstFirst ... 23456789101656 ... LastLast

Thread: SEC Football discussion thread #2

Re: SEC Football discussion thread #2

Quote Originally Posted by Todd Gack View Post
    They could care less.

SEC pride!
    Your bluster is uninformed.

For instance, there aren't many Auburn fans who were rooting for Bama in their recent title games.

But it is a little funny to hear fans of other conferences rag on SEC fans for taking pride in their team, conference and tradition-an inseparable blend that no college football fan can argue doesn't impact their program. OSU fans certainly can't claim their tradition isn't intricately woven into the history of their affiliated conference.

Further, a lot of SEC programs are the only game in town as no pro team is within their market. Busting on "SEC" fan really comes across as more inferiority complex than righteous indignation-especially given the righteous indignation is unwarranted and Big Ten fans such as OSU fans have a large corner on the market when it comes to a sense of entitlement. Why do Buckeye fans hate Michigan so much? Because more often than not, the Michigan game was really their only real roadblock to a rose bowl. That's some tradition that SEC fans are somehow denigrating!

It's actually kind of funny. Big Ten fans always seem fixated on the SEC even to the point where OSU has decided to try and become an SEC team. SEC fans? They don't seem nearly as fascinated by the goings on of the leaders and legends (leaders and legends-overcompensating a bit!?!?!?).
    Last edited by jojo; 09-08-2013 at 11:24 AM.
    "This isn’t stats vs scouts - this is stats and scouts working together, building an organization that blends the best of both worlds. This is the blueprint for how a baseball organization should be run. And, whether the baseball men of the 20th century like it or not, this is where baseball is going."---Dave Cameron, U.S.S. Mariner

2. Turn Off Ads?

Quote Originally Posted by Red Buckeye View Post
    Dude, OSU would easily beat Miami. That was not a good looking game, UF just looks awful.
    I dunno.... it was argued in the OSU thread that the BUckeyes need four warm up games in order to be sharp for their first real test.

I've watched both Buckeye games so far. They'd be 0-2 if they had Georgia's schedule.
    "This isn’t stats vs scouts - this is stats and scouts working together, building an organization that blends the best of both worlds. This is the blueprint for how a baseball organization should be run. And, whether the baseball men of the 20th century like it or not, this is where baseball is going."---Dave Cameron, U.S.S. Mariner

Quote Originally Posted by jojo View Post
    I dunno.... it was argued in the OSU thread that the BUckeyes need four warm up games in order to be sharp for their first real test.

I've watched both Buckeye games so far. They'd be 0-2 if they had Georgia's schedule.
    I thought we were talking about UF?

As to whether of not OSU would be 0-2 if they played UGA's schedule, I would have to disagree. OSU and South Carolina looked about the same when they both played UM last year, and Clemson always underperforms.

Clemson and OSU would be a good game and I can't say one way or another who would win but I think OSU would beat S.Carolina.
    Last edited by Red Buckeye; 09-08-2013 at 11:13 AM.
    There are no hunting accidents...It's called kharma.

I thought we were talking about UF?
    We're talking about OSU and UF and how UF fans might think Meyer would do with a typical SEC schedule given OSU fans wonder how they feel about losing to a team that probably would've beaten OSU yesterday.

We're talking about OSU and UF and how UF fans might think Meyer would do with a typical SEC schedule given OSU fans wonder how they feel about losing to a team that probably would've beaten OSU yesterday.
    So you honestly think Miami would have beat Ohio State yesterday?

So you honestly think Miami would have beat Ohio State yesterday?
    I see zero reason for you to argue that it would be a given that OSU would've beat Miami yesterday. On the other hand, it's not a stretch at all to suggest Miami could've beat OSU.

My take on the UF-Miami game? If the Gators take care of the ball, the might've won by 10 pts. But things happen when you play good teams in hostile environments.
    Last edited by jojo; 09-08-2013 at 11:32 AM.

I see zero reason for you to argue that it would be a given that OSU would've beat Miami yesterday. On the other hand, it's not a stretch at all to suggest Miami could've beat OSU.
    Umm, I watched both games yesterday. Miami didn't do anything that impressed me. Driscoll just looks like he sucks.

Miami would have a hard time stopping Braxton Miller.

Umm, I watched both games yesterday. Miami didn't do anything that impressed me. Driscoll just looks like he sucks.

Miami would have a hard time stopping Braxton Miller.
    Everybody would have a hard time stopping Braxton Miller. OSU is good-that's not the point.

UF fans have a legit reason to criticize Meyer and the state in which he left the Gator program. He got out when the getting was good and it's pretty tough to argue otherwise when considering all of the details.

Anyway, to answer your original question- Gators fans probably blame 5 turnovers more than Meyer for yesterday's loss. I will tell you this though. "SEC fans" find it funny that OSU fans like to rag on the SEC for being cheating thugs while continually criticizing the Gator program for "flaws" that were Meyer's doing despite all the while OSU seems to be modeling their road map to a championship on the Meyer and SEC model-this all after OSU's program was spanked for cheating. There are a lot of deficiencies associated with the culture of the South to be sure, but an appreciation for irony is not among them.
    Last edited by jojo; 09-08-2013 at 11:45 AM.

Your comparison would be like a big 10 fan comparing the gameday experience of Michigan with Kentucky.
    As a UT alum, I'm flattered to be compared with Mich but honestly we're not worthy. Mich is one of the top 2 Big Ten teams. If you were to ask people who the top two SEC programs are, you'd rarely hear UT

Quote Originally Posted by Sea Ray View Post
    As a UT alum, I'm flattered to be compared with Mich but honestly we're not worthy. Mich is one of the top 2 Big Ten teams. If you were to ask people who the top two SEC programs are, you'd rarely hear UT
    I guess I won't try to educate you on the history of your program but the Vols have to be considered a traditional powerhouse even if their administration seemingly bungled the Vols into recent hard times since Fullmer.

Everybody would have a hard time stopping Braxton Miller. OSU is good-that's not the point.

UF fans have a legit reason to criticize Meyer and the state in which he left the Gator program. He got out when the getting was good and it's pretty tough to argue otherwise when considering all of the details.

Anyway, to answer your original question- Gators fans probably blame 5 turnovers more than Meyer for yesterday's loss. I will tell you this though. "SEC fans" find it funny that OSU fans like to rag on the SEC for being cheating thugs while continually criticizing the Gator program for "flaws" that were Meyer's doing despite all the while OSU seems to be modeling their road map to a championship on the Meyer and SEC model-this all after OSU's program was spanked for cheating. There are a lot of deficiencies associated with the culture of the South to be sure, but an appreciation for irony is not among them.
    Meyer gave UF outstanding recruiting classes every year he was there. UF fans blaming their current problems on a guy that gave them top players every year is absurd.

I think OSU fans just don't like the fact that SEC teams get away with much worse offenses than that committed by Tressel yet they don't get punished for them. Double standards are frustrating, but when the NCAA president is a good ole SEC guy it's understandable why programs in the SEC can get away with anything.
    It also might be the blatant oversigning that goes on at certain programs down south, UF actually NOT being one of them.

Meyer gave UF outstanding recruiting classes every year he was there. UF fans blaming their current problems on a guy that gave them top players every year is absurd.

I think OSU fans just don't like the fact that SEC teams get away with much worse offenses than that committed by Tressel yet they don't get punished for them. Double standards are frustrating, but when the NCAA president is a good ole SEC guy it's understandable why programs in the SEC can get away with anything.
    It also might be the blatant oversigning that goes on at certain programs down south, UF actually NOT being one of them.
    Concerning the good 'Ole SEC getting away with it narrative-ask Bama about that. It took a university being penalized for institutionalized child rape for Bama to no longer be the school with the most vacated wins in NCAA history. I dunno, I'd be more PO'd about the NCAA response to Oregon's blatant cheating than some fuzzy notion that the SEC is getting away with stuff because that narrative when actually deconstructed by examining facts is largely vague and made up. Besides, during the Tressel ordeal, i've heard plenty of OSU fans argue that all major programs cheat and if the NCAA starts looking at phone records, emails, texts and bank accounts, NO program would emerge unscathed.

SEC teams can't sign more than 25 scholarship athletes in a given cycle (unless they signed less then 25 the previous cycle in which under certain circumstances they can make up the difference).

The over signing criticism really isn't a valid one. But it's a little silly for OSU fans to couch Meyer as being above the fray while he was in the SEC. That's a popular narrative among some in Ohio-i.e. something along the lines of "Meyer couldn't tolerate the SEC culture so he came to the noble environment of Columbus" narrative. That simply is not a sustainable argument. He created a culture in Gainsville that was about to implode and he high-tailed it before the skunk spray got on his clothes.

If anything Meyer ran to an environment where he'd have it easier from a recruiting standpoint. A place where his institution has the state locked up regardless of whether Jesus or the Devil is the head coach and rival coaches think it's unfair to continue to recruit a player after he his verbally committed to another school.
    Last edited by jojo; 09-08-2013 at 12:31 PM.

What about my post steered you in a wrong direction? The Vols were +6 in turnover differential at half and were only up by 14. They got lucky that WKU imploded for roughly 5 minutes otherwise, the Vols had a fight on their hands.
    Ahhh, the ifs and buts game. And what if UT hadn't allowed a punt to be blocked? Turnovers are a normal part of American football. Your argument would hold more water if a freak injury had occurred or an egregious call. As a student of college football, you should have foreseen WKU having problems with the big crowd and being outmanned from a talent standpoint--a point you just made yourself at halftime.

I found it hard to believe that Tenn would lose a home game on a beautiful Sept day to a little guy school.

The SEC OCs will watch this tape and salivate.
    Perhaps but actually I was pleasantly surprised by the defense. They held the WKU Petrino -led O to one TD/2FGs plus the 8 yd drive at the end of the 2nd qtr. But this isn't about how UT will fare vs SEC competition. It's about how they blew out their opponent yesterday

My take on the UF-Miami game? If the Gators take care of the ball, the might've won by 10 pts. But things happen when you play good teams in hostile environments.
    Back to the coulda game...Your record so far is that Va Tech could have beaten Bama and WKU could have beaten Tenn. How'd those two games turn out?

I guess I won't try to educate you on the history of your program but the Vols have to be considered a traditional powerhouse even if their administration seemingly bungled the Vols into recent hard times since Fullmer.
    My guess is if you were to rank "programs" in the SEC, Tenn would not be in the top two and would even be ranked below Auburn. Am I right?

Turn Off Ads?