Turn Off Ads?
Page 27 of 67 FirstFirst ... 1723242526272829303137 ... LastLast

Thread: SEC Football discussion thread #2

Re: SEC Football discussion thread #2

Quote Originally Posted by jojo View Post
    I think this one will be like typical iron bowls. It very well could go down to the final minutes of the game and the winner will know that they've been through something and will be glad to have it in their rear-view mirror.
    I'm looking forward to it. This sort of game has been in short supply this season. It seems like there have been a lot of blowouts.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Quote Originally Posted by traderumor View Post
    How I make myself look is my problem, don't you think? But I do appreciate the unsolicited advice. And you understand nothing about my motivations.

I was not aware there were performance standards in conferences. Are these available in a Word document or in pdf format somewhere? I Googled, didn't find anything. Conferences have pathetic programs, once proud ones that hit down cycles and so forth. I guess this is just another area the SEC is ahead of the curve, eh? That is the "elitist" nature I was shamefully referring to in the original poster's comment.
    I think your argument is divorced from any reasonable standard of acceptable standard and certainly you're trying to play semantics with the term "elitist" in a way that clearly isn't kosher.

Do you know how many programs in the SEC have went 3 consecutive years without a bowl appearance since the modern reorganization of the SEC (i.e. early '90's)? Vanderbilt, Kentucky, Ole Miss, MSU. Yep, that's right, Tennesee is about to join the ranks of traditional perenial dregs that have not been competitive in the SEC-the easy wins everyone circles on their SEC grid for the upcoming season.

There is no way you can credibly argue that the Vol program has been performing up to SEC standards in recent years. To do so continually is simply being argumentative and again, it says more about you than it does about "elitism".
    "This isn’t stats vs scouts - this is stats and scouts working together, building an organization that blends the best of both worlds. This is the blueprint for how a baseball organization should be run. And, whether the baseball men of the 20th century like it or not, this is where baseball is going."---Dave Cameron, U.S.S. Mariner

Quote Originally Posted by Sea Ray View Post
    I'm looking forward to it. This sort of game has been in short supply this season. It seems like there have been a lot of blowouts.
    Auburn hasn't held up it's end of the bargaind uring the last two seasons. The tradition has definately deserved a better showing. Hopefully things have been corrected in that regard.
    "This isn’t stats vs scouts - this is stats and scouts working together, building an organization that blends the best of both worlds. This is the blueprint for how a baseball organization should be run. And, whether the baseball men of the 20th century like it or not, this is where baseball is going."---Dave Cameron, U.S.S. Mariner

Auburn hasn't held up it's end of the bargaind uring the last two seasons. The tradition has definately deserved a better showing. Hopefully things have been corrected in that regard.
    So you stopped short of answering my question. Does a one loss Auburn team deserve to jump an undefeated team if they beat Bama?

So you stopped short of answering my question. Does a one loss Auburn team deserve to jump an undefeated team if they beat Bama?
    Yes, a 1 loss Auburn team probably jumps Bama. A 1 loss Auburn team gets to play in the SEC championship game while a 1 loss Bama team sits at home and waits for a bowl invitation. BTW, I didn't realize you had asked that specific question.
    Last edited by jojo; 11-25-2013 at 02:31 PM.

Yes, a 1 loss Auburn team probably jumps Bama. A 1 loss Auburn team gets to play in the SEC championship game while a 1 loss Bama team sits at home and waits for a bowl invitation. BTW, I didn't realize you had asked that specific question.
    If Auburn wins then Bama's no longer an undefeated team now are they? So jumping Bama isn't my point. Do they get to jump OSU or FSU? If you don't want to answer just say so and don't play games

If Auburn wins then Bama's no longer an undefeated team now are they? So jumping Bama isn't my point. Do they get to jump OSU or FSU? If you don't want to answer just say so and don't play games
    First, quit being a turd.

Second, if Auburn beats Bama then goes on to win the SEC championship, they have a great case for playing in the BCS championship game.

Second, if Auburn beats Bama then goes on to win the SEC championship, they have a great case for playing in the BCS championship game.
    They have a case, most BCS number crunchers don't think it can happen, unless the Harris and Coaches Polls' voters both demote Ohio State to 4 to do it.
    Hugs, smiling, and interactive Twitter accounts, don't mean winning baseball. Until this community understands that we are cursed to relive the madness.

Your first sentence is uncalled for thus I won't comment further.

I tend to agree with you on your more thoughtful part but I've never known a one loss team to jump undefeated teams. This is why we need some sort of playoff and next year's 4 team format will be a start.

Quote Originally Posted by LoganBuck View Post
    They have a case, most BCS number crunchers don't think it can happen, unless the Harris and Coaches Polls' voters both demote Ohio State to 4 to do it.
    The more likely scenario is if they demote FSU if JW gets suspended

I think your argument is divorced from any reasonable standard of acceptable standard and certainly you're trying to play semantics with the term "elitist" in a way that clearly isn't kosher.

Do you know how many programs in the SEC have went 3 consecutive years without a bowl appearance since the modern reorganization of the SEC (i.e. early '90's)? Vanderbilt, Kentucky, Ole Miss, MSU. Yep, that's right, Tennesee is about to join the ranks of traditional perenial dregs that have not been competitive in the SEC-the easy wins everyone circles on their SEC grid for the upcoming season.

There is no way you can credibly argue that the Vol program has been performing up to SEC standards in recent years. To do so continually is simply being argumentative and again, it says more about you than it does about "elitism".
    What SEC "standards"? That's the whole laughable point here that has nothing to do with semantics (the most over used red herring rebuttal on discussion boards, btw). If you don't see the original poster's message as "they just don't deserve to be in the SEC," spoken over cigars and Scotch by two fat, old white men on the front porch, then so be it. But it certainly came off that way to me.
    "Rounding 3rd and heading for home, good night everybody"

If you don't see the original poster's message as "they just don't deserve to be in the SEC," spoken over cigars and Scotch by two fat, old white men on the front porch, then so be it. But it certainly came off that way to me.
    I thought this was the statement in question:

I'm not suggesting anyone get kicked out. The SEC has high standards for its football and UT and UK haven't met them
    Where did you get the idea that I was saying that they deserve to be kicked out when I clearly said that that's not what I was saying?

In the south it's not so much scotch but bourbon. Your vision need not include fat or old either. Just picture two guys in jeans/t-shirt drinking a boutbon and coke on a front porch...

What SEC "standards"? That's the whole laughable point here that has nothing to do with semantics (the most over used red herring rebuttal on discussion boards, btw). If you don't see the original poster's message as "they just don't deserve to be in the SEC," spoken over cigars and Scotch by two fat, old white men on the front porch, then so be it. But it certainly came off that way to me.
    And coming full circle, it's ironic that a Buckeye fan feels the need to chastise an SEC fan about elitism, especially when the SEC fan was lamenting the lack of competitiveness in recent years of his own team.

If you dont see the absurdity in THAT, then so be it.

I thought this was the statement in question:

Where did you get the idea that I was saying that they deserve to be kicked out when I clearly said that that's not what I was saying?

In the south it's not so much scotch but bourbon. Your vision need not include fat or old either. Just picture two guys in jeans/t-shirt drinking a boutbon and coke on a front porch...
    I assumed you could understand that I was speaking to what you were implying and not that I literally thought you wanted them kicked out. Sometimes you have to give folks the benefit of the doubt that they're not stupid.

And coming full circle, it's ironic that a Buckeye fan feels the need to chastise an SEC fan about elitism, especially when the SEC fan was lamenting the lack of competitiveness in recent years of his own team.

If you dont see the absurdity in THAT, then so be it.
    Again with the "Buckeye fan" thing. When in doubt....
    BTW, everything ends up full circle in your discussions because you never say anything except that the other person is wrong in 250 words or less.
    Last edited by traderumor; 11-25-2013 at 04:51 PM.
    "Rounding 3rd and heading for home, good night everybody"

Again with the "Buckeye fan" thing. When in doubt.... BTW, everything ends up full circle in your discussions because you never say anything except that the other person is wrong in 250 words or less.
    You just argued that a fan who chastised his team for being on a 5-25 run through it's conference schedule is being elitist.

Just on the face of your argument, I don't need 250 words. Only two are required-youre wrong.

But the number of keystrokes isn't the interesting thing. One wonders why a member of a fanbase notorious for it's elitist attitudes and whose cherished team plays in a league that felt the need to name it's divisions "leaders" and "legends" feels the need to keep lecturing others on elitism. One can only guess that it must be because they feel like an authority.

Turn Off Ads?