Turn Off Ads?
Page 12 of 67 FirstFirst ... 289101112131415162262 ... LastLast

Thread: SEC Football discussion thread #2

Re: SEC Football discussion thread #2

I have no idea why the rest of the country hates SEC fans...

http://deadspin.com/lsu-frat-makes-f...-ca-1321099840
    "This isn’t stats vs scouts - this is stats and scouts working together, building an organization that blends the best of both worlds. This is the blueprint for how a baseball organization should be run. And, whether the baseball men of the 20th century like it or not, this is where baseball is going."---Dave Cameron, U.S.S. Mariner

2. Turn Off Ads?

Quote Originally Posted by Sea Ray View Post
    How can Auburn's wins be better than Bama's?
    Theyve beaten teams thus far that have a higher SOS etc plus Bama has played one less game. Also an elephant is an incredibly stupid mascot especially for a team located in Alabama.
    "This isn’t stats vs scouts - this is stats and scouts working together, building an organization that blends the best of both worlds. This is the blueprint for how a baseball organization should be run. And, whether the baseball men of the 20th century like it or not, this is where baseball is going."---Dave Cameron, U.S.S. Mariner

Quote Originally Posted by jojo View Post
    Sounds like Auburn envy to me.
    I'm not much interested in the cesspool that is big-time college athletics, so I am hardly envious. I do like statistics however. By the end of the season these rankings could be interesting - right now they are meaningless.

Theyve beaten teams thus far that have a higher SOS etc plus Bama has played one less game. Also an elephant is an incredibly stupid mascot especially for a team located in Alabama.
    I completely agree.

Texas regent talked to Nick Saban's agent about a possible opening at UT

http://espn.go.com/college-football/...ach-nick-saban
    Quote Originally Posted by Raisor View Post
    I was wrong
    Chip is right

Quote Originally Posted by Chip R View Post
    Texas regent talked to Nick Saban's agent about a possible opening at UT

http://espn.go.com/college-football/...ach-nick-saban
    Roh, Roh.....tide!

Roh, Roh.....tide!
    Yeah, better enjoy your third title in four years this year, because after that....okay, there's really not much smack worthy of even trying on Bama right now.

Quote Originally Posted by Boston Red View Post
    Yeah, better enjoy your third title in four years this year, because after that....okay, there's really not much smack worthy of even trying on Bama right now.
    I'm sure having the Texas regents contact Saban's agent was just a Fluker!

Nick Saban would never break a contract to coach another team...oh, wait.
    I was wrong
    Chip is right

11. Likes:

jojo (09-20-2013),Revering4Blue (09-20-2013),Tom Servo (09-20-2013)

Arian Foster... "I was getting money on the side."

http://www.cbssports.com/collegefoot...e-at-tennessee

On a personal note: I'm in favor of athletes having access to free market compensation (though regulated). That said, while I sympathize with the rationale, any athlete that complains about being unable to pay bills simply does a terrible job managing money, especially if they have roommate(s). With the room & board payments for cost of on-campus living and meal plan that is paid for, there's no excuse for not having enough money to put food on the table.
    "No matter how good you are, you're going to lose one-third of your games. No matter how bad you are you're going to win one-third of your games. It's the other third that makes the difference." ~Tommy Lasorda

13. Likes:

Tom Servo (09-21-2013)

This happened during his senior year, he really only has himself to blame here, he could have gone pro.
    Go Gators!

Any major college athlete claiming he or she is claiming they had to choose between "paying rent" or "eating food" is outright lying. Especially a football player. Dorms are provided free of charge, and the football players at least are given meal plans where they receive a pretty specific diet. Even if you choose to live off campus, they still get a portion of rent. They also get a small insurance plan that pays for health, vision, and dental.
    http://diamondvisits.blogspot.com/ My Minor League stadium review site.

16. Likes:

jimbo (09-21-2013)

Tennessee has some real problems and they are going to get spanked.

Quote Originally Posted by 19braves77 View Post
    Any major college athlete claiming he or she is claiming they had to choose between "paying rent" or "eating food" is outright lying. Especially a football player. Dorms are provided free of charge, and the football players at least are given meal plans where they receive a pretty specific diet. Even if you choose to live off campus, they still get a portion of rent. They also get a small insurance plan that pays for health, vision, and dental.
    Just a minor technicality, but it's not free, per se. It's a covered cost.

If living on-campus, their scholarship check is paid to the university for the amount of tuition and room/board. If they live off campus (which most upperclassmen do), the university cuts them a check for rent in the amount of the highest on-campus living arrangement the university has. So if on-campus room & board is $1,000 a month and two football players live in an apartment off-campus, both would receive checks for $1,000 (which means if rent is $800, they both pocket $600).

The meal plan isn't really diet specific, it's just the university meal plan covered in their attendance costs. However, it's for three meals a day and the players are able to cash out the value of those meals if they choose.
    "No matter how good you are, you're going to lose one-third of your games. No matter how bad you are you're going to win one-third of your games. It's the other third that makes the difference." ~Tommy Lasorda

I'm actually enjoying this UGA/NT game today.

Turn Off Ads?