Turn Off Ads?
Page 39 of 67 FirstFirst ... 2935363738394041424349 ... LastLast

Thread: SEC Football discussion thread #2

Re: SEC Football discussion thread #2

Quote Originally Posted by Redsfaithful View Post
    College football discussions would be less irritating if people were just fans of their alma maters or local team or whatever.

The love for an entire conference is so bizarre. There's nothing like it in any other sport. I realize the south doesn't have much ...

So glad for the coming playoffs that will render much of these conference discussions irrelevant. Settle it on the field.
    Judging from my own experiences, ACC Basketball fans, particularly those on Tobacco Road, say

And yes, the fact that for many years there were very few Pro teams in any sport in either ACC or SEC country -- before all of this mega-conference realigning -- has to factor into it, but there no pro teams in Iowa or Nebraska, either.
    "I have just been more than a little suspect of all the trades since the Willy (Scott Williamson) cash grab. That one left such a bad taste in my mouth that even a 1985 Dom Pťrignon couldn't cleanse it." -- Creek14

2. Turn Off Ads?
    Yay!

Quote Originally Posted by Sea Ray View Post
    There is something to be said for that and it did make that game much more exciting. It is unfair that Bama had a "playoff game" yesterday while OSU and FSU did not
    Sure they did. If they had lost Saturday, they'd be out.
    When all is said and done more is said than done.

4. Likes:

Gizmo (12-02-2013)

College football discussions would be less irritating if people were just fans of their alma maters or local team or whatever.

The love for an entire conference is so bizarre. There's nothing like it in any other sport. I realize the south doesn't have much ...

So glad for the coming playoffs that will render much of these conference discussions irrelevant. Settle it on the field.
    This x1000

Yay!

Quote Originally Posted by Brutus View Post
    Most of the SEC hasn't faced a ranked out of conference opponent in several years.
    I hope you realize what a load of crap this is.

Auburn: 2012 (Clemson)
    Alabama: 2012 (Michigan)
    LSU: 2013 (TCU) -- If that one doesn't suit you, 2011 (Oregon) -- And I'd say LSU has scheduled as aggressively as anyone in the country.
    A/M: 2011 (Arkansas -- before it was a conference game)
    MS St.: 2013 (Okie St.)
    Ole Miss: 2012 (Texas -- Also played Texas this year while they were unranked)
    Arkansas: 2011 (A/M -- before it was a conference game)

Mizzou -- Yeah, it's been a few years
    South Carolina: 2013 (Clemson)
    UGa: 2013 (Clemson -- plus annual home and home game with Ga Tech)
    Vanderbilt: 2009 (Ga Tech) A few years also, but have had home and home series with both Northwestern and Wake Forest
    Florida: 2013 (Florida St and Miami)
    Tennessee: 2013 (Oregon)
    Kentucky: 2013 (Louisville)
    When all is said and done more is said than done.

Quote Originally Posted by dabvu2498 View Post
    yep, and Auburn and OSU have "playoff" games this Saturday as well, while Bama could still sneak back into the picture despite sitting out of the "playoffs" this week.
    Is it "next season" yet?

I hope you realize what a load of crap this is.

Auburn: 2012 (Clemson)
    Alabama: 2012 (Michigan)
    LSU: 2013 (TCU) -- If that one doesn't suit you, 2011 (Oregon) -- And I'd say LSU has scheduled as aggressively as anyone in the country.
    A/M: 2011 (Arkansas -- before it was a conference game)
    MS St.: 2013 (Okie St.)
    Ole Miss: 2012 (Texas -- Also played Texas this year while they were unranked)
    Arkansas: 2011 (A/M -- before it was a conference game)

Mizzou -- Yeah, it's been a few years
    South Carolina: 2013 (Clemson)
    UGa: 2013 (Clemson -- plus annual home and home game with Ga Tech)
    Vanderbilt: 2009 (Ga Tech) A few years also, but have had home and home series with both Northwestern and Wake Forest
    Florida: 2013 (Florida St and Miami)
    Tennessee: 2013 (Oregon)
    Kentucky: 2013 (Louisville)
    He knows it's a load of crap. He also knows that the two teams playing for the SEC championship will have played a total of 9 teams ranked in the BCS top 25while the two teams playing the Big Tem championship game will have played exactly 3 with two of them being each other-in the Big ten championship game.

It's a flaccid argument by Big Ten fan. No one cares who OSU scheduled 4 years ago. We're talking about this season. Flaccid.

He also knows that the narrative of 23 straight wins deserves a huge asterisk because due to sanctions, OSU avoided playing two jeopardy games at the end of last season. So even that part of their resume isn't as impressive as Buckeye fan wants others to assume.
    Last edited by jojo; 12-02-2013 at 08:42 AM.
    "This isnít stats vs scouts - this is stats and scouts working together, building an organization that blends the best of both worlds. This is the blueprint for how a baseball organization should be run. And, whether the baseball men of the 20th century like it or not, this is where baseball is going."---Dave Cameron, U.S.S. Mariner

9. Likes:

Sea Ray (12-02-2013)

Just wait until the SEC championship game ends in a close game and knocks one of their teams out of the top 4. We will have this same discussion about how the (insert other conferences here) aren't as good as the SEC team that lost in the SEC championship game and deserves to be in over (insert other conference winner here).

Oh, baloney.

Thinking beating a 7-4 rival like Michigan isn't a playoff game is ignorance at its worst. Beating a 7-4 Michigan team is absolutely no easy task in Ann Arbor no matter how much you suggest otherwise. In college football, rivalry games can be worth several points alone. Nonetheless, Auburn was praised for winning on a miracle against a 4-loss Georgia team at home, so it's fascinating how differently people treat barely beating Michigan on the road.

I also love how the SEC tends to move the goalposts in these discussions. No one in the SEC was saying how "unfair" it was that Michigan had to play a playoff in 2006 in Columbus against the No. 1 team in the country (Ohio State). In fact, the SEC whined and complained that if you didn't win your conference, you had no business playing in the national championship. So what happened? Everyone voted Florida into the game instead of Michigan getting a rematch.

But like I said, they moved the goalposts in 2011 and when Alabama lost at home to LSU, they still put in Alabama over Oklahoma State & Stanford despite not winning their division and losing at home. In 2006 they complained that Michigan had no business being in the championship game in a rematch. In 2011 they lobbied for it.

It's amazing to me at how the logic of "fair" keeps moving.
    Beating Mich in Ann Arbor is no easy task but it's much, much easier than beating Auburn at their home in a rivalry game. Do you dispute that?

I don't think this year's Florida team would be playoff material in any format

This is largely a huge canard. Vandy fan doesn't root for the Vols in a national championship game and Auburn fan doesn't root for Bama in a national championship game.

Would both fan bases root for LSU or Florida? Probably. It is true that for alot of the Southeast, college football is the penultimate hobby and it's not really diluted by other passtimes. That's a source of valid criticism? Ya, right. Is there a sense of pride in the SEC winning 7 in a row and 9 out of the 14 BCS championship games that haven't been vacated? Explain again why such a pride isn't legitimate and is somehow different than how fanbases in any other conference would react.

But you can't tell me that Buckeye fans wouldn't root for Penn State. And lets call this rooting for a conference meme for what it is.... the Big Ten named their divisions the leaders and the legends. Pretty clearly big ten fans don't have a problem with honoring the history of their traditions. They just don't like losing to the SEC. Why? Because they can't claim that their conference is the best.

So ya, this is a tired meme that Big Ten fan has made a mantra.
    "This isnít stats vs scouts - this is stats and scouts working together, building an organization that blends the best of both worlds. This is the blueprint for how a baseball organization should be run. And, whether the baseball men of the 20th century like it or not, this is where baseball is going."---Dave Cameron, U.S.S. Mariner

If you really think they're a better team, yes. Of course they should. But even then, in a down year like it is now, the Big Ten is still significantly better than the MAC or AAC, etc. So it's not exactly an apples to apples comparison (i.e. a Big Ten team winning in a down Big Ten isn't the same as NIU running the table in the MAC).

That aside, anyone criticizing Ohio State's scheduling is flat out ignorant of football.

Here is who Ohio State will have played over a 20-year period from 2004-2023:

Texas (4x)
    USC (2)
    Miami (2)
    Oklahoma (2)
    Oregon (2)
    Virginia Tech (2)
    North Carolina (2)
    California (2)
    Boston College (2)
    TCU (2)
    Colorado
    Washington
    NC State
    Cincinnati (3)
    vs. Navy in Baltimore
    San Diego State
    Northern Illinois

.. plus their 20 games against Michigan and Penn State, and more than a dozen battles with Wisconsin, Michigan State, etc.

I defy you to find anyone in the country that can match that, especially anyone from the SEC.

Florida hasn't left the state for a non-conference game in several decades. Most of the SEC hasn't faced a ranked out of conference opponent in several years.
    Yes, I agree totally. The Big Ten is better than those conferences just like the SEC is better than the weak Big Ten so why wouldn't the same principle hold true? Why should OSU get by Akabama when Bama had to play the #4 team in the country whereas OSU hasn't beaten anyone in the top 25?

You don't have to be an SEC homer to give them their props. In fact you'd have to have quite a bias not to...

16. Likes:

jojo (12-02-2013)

Quote Originally Posted by Sea Ray View Post
    Beating Mich in Ann Arbor is no easy task but it's much, much easier than beating Auburn at their home in a rivalry game. Do you dispute that?
    OSU and Michigan played a game that had national championship implications, ended in a 42 to 41 score, and turned on a last minute two point conversion try in what is the best rivalry in the Big Ten conference.

The country is talking about the Iron Bowl.

Quote Originally Posted by jojo View Post
    This is largely a huge canard. Vandy fan doesn't root for the Vols in a national championship game and Auburn fan doesn't root for Bama in a national championship game.

Would both fan bases root for LSU or Florida? Probably. It is true that for alot of the Southeast, college football is the penultimate hobby and it's not really diluted by other passtimes. That's a source of valid criticism? Ya, right. Is there a sense of pride in the SEC winning 7 in a row and 9 out of the 14 BCS championship games that haven't been vacated? Explain again why such a pride isn't legitimate and is somehow different than how fanbases in any other conference would react.

But you can't tell me that Buckeye fans wouldn't root for Penn State. And lets call this rooting for a conference meme for what it is.... the Big Ten named their divisions the leaders and the legends. Pretty clearly big ten fans don't have a problem with honoring the history of their traditions. They just don't like losing to the SEC. Why? Because they can't claim that their conference is the best.

So ya, this is a tired meme that Big Ten fan has made a mantra.
    You would root for Ohio State over Alabama? That is surprising.

An SEC fan at work awhile back (I live and work in Charlotte, NC) told me he looks at Northerners/Yankees with the following mindset: If myself (I am from Toledo, OH) and a southerner were to fall of a cliff and he could save only one of us he would let me fall to my death and save the unnamed southerner simply because I am from the north. He went on to explain that this is the same mindset he looks at sports teams. He will root for the Southern team over a Northern team no matter the situation or who is playing. If it is Vermont vs Arkansas St in Women's tennis he will root for Arkansas St.

Quote Originally Posted by RedTeamGo! View Post
    You would root for Ohio State over Alabama? That is surprising.

If you think it's surprising that an Auburn guy would root against Alabama then you don't understand the SEC. You need to widen your horizons beyond the midwest

Turn Off Ads?