Turn Off Ads?
Page 7 of 67 FirstFirst ... 345678910111757 ... LastLast

Thread: SEC Football discussion thread #2

Re: SEC Football discussion thread #2

Quote Originally Posted by Sea Ray View Post
    Ahhh, the ifs and buts game. And what if UT hadn't allowed a punt to be blocked? Turnovers are a normal part of American football. Your argument would hold more water if a freak injury had occurred or an egregious call. As a student of college football, you should have foreseen WKU having problems with the big crowd and being outmanned from a talent standpoint--a point you just made yourself at halftime.

I found it hard to believe that Tenn would lose a home game on a beautiful Sept day to a little guy school.

Perhaps but actually I was pleasantly surprised by the defense. They held the WKU Petrino -led O to one TD/2FGs plus the 8 yd drive at the end of the 2nd qtr. But this isn't about how UT will fare vs SEC competition. It's about how they blew out their opponent yesterday
    Look at the box score. That little guy school played the Vols even or better statistically. The Vols are lucky that the WK had a historically bad time with turnovers-a facet of the game that Vols fans can't expect to be a repeatable thing.
    "This isn’t stats vs scouts - this is stats and scouts working together, building an organization that blends the best of both worlds. This is the blueprint for how a baseball organization should be run. And, whether the baseball men of the 20th century like it or not, this is where baseball is going."---Dave Cameron, U.S.S. Mariner

2. Turn Off Ads?

My guess is if you were to rank "programs" in the SEC, Tenn would not be in the top two and would even be ranked below Auburn. Am I right?
    Alabama is the only SEC team to currently sport a better overall winning percentage than the Vols and that margin closes significantly if one corrects WP for Bama's vacated wins.
    "This isn’t stats vs scouts - this is stats and scouts working together, building an organization that blends the best of both worlds. This is the blueprint for how a baseball organization should be run. And, whether the baseball men of the 20th century like it or not, this is where baseball is going."---Dave Cameron, U.S.S. Mariner

Back to the coulda game...Your record so far is that Va Tech could have beaten Bama and WKU could have beaten Tenn. How'd those two games turn out?
    No one will ever accuse you of being too granular.

And Big 10 Fan says all SEC Fans get along.
    When all is said and done more is said than done.

Quote Originally Posted by dabvu2498 View Post
    And Big 10 Fan says all SEC Fans get along.
    To be fair, any Vols fan who asks an Auburn fan about how the all time records of the two programs compare either knows and deserves to be served the steak that fell on the ground or he doesn't know and deserves to be served the steak that fell on the ground.

The beer will be cold either way, but the grass might get stuck between his teeth anyway.

Quote Originally Posted by jojo View Post
    To be fair, any Vols fan who asks an Auburn fan about how the all time records of the two programs compare either knows and deserves to be served the steak that fell on the ground or he doesn't know and deserves to be served the steak that fell on the ground.

The beer will be cold either way, but the grass might get stuck between his teeth anyway.
    Teeth? In the SEC???!!!???

Well... I do know one school...
    When all is said and done more is said than done.

8. Likes:

jojo (09-08-2013)

Funny to see an osu and Auburn fan argue about what Florida fans think, how many do you guys know?
    Go Gators!

Quote Originally Posted by KronoRed View Post
    Funny to see an osu and Auburn fan argue about what Florida fans think, how many do you guys know?
    Unfortunately I know too many. And please don't take that as bragging-I'm not proud of it.

Alabama is the only SEC team to currently sport a better overall winning percentage than the Vols and that margin closes significantly if one corrects WP for Bama's vacated wins.
    Sounds like an argument Notre Dame fans make.

I know that the final score yesterday was 52-20, but WKU got the ball on the opening kickoff, drove right down the field and kicked a FG. The stopped Tennessee on the next possession and already had one first down on their second possession. WKU had everything going exactly the way they wanted it. Then the QB threw a perfect pass that hit his receiver in the face, bounced up in the air, was intercepted and returned for a TD. Western just collapsed after that. I don't think WKU was winning that game no matter what, but if the receiver catches that pass instead of a making a completely unforced error that gave UT a giftwrapped TD, I think it would have been a very different game. WKU just couldn't afford to make that kind of mistake, and they were completely deflated.

It's a funny game sometimes.

Quote Originally Posted by Todd Gack View Post
    Sounds like an argument Notre Dame fans make.
    If all one cares about is today, then I have no idea why one is a college sports fan.

Look at the box score. That little guy school played the Vols even or better statistically. The Vols are lucky that the WK had a historically bad time with turnovers-a facet of the game that Vols fans can't expect to be a repeatable thing.
    I did better than looking at the box score. I watched the game. Only losers evaluate football by looking at a box score. Here's another fact for you: The Vols don't have to repeat anything vs WKU. They only play once this year.

If all one cares about is today, then I have no idea why one is a college sports fan.
    No one really cares about winning percentages except for this current season. I'm a baseball fan because I love the tradition of the game, but I could care less where teams rank in terms of winning percentage. It's asinine.

It's even worse to argue about attendance for ________________. No one cares that 90k showed up to OSU or Auburn's spring game.

I did better than looking at the box score. I watched the game. Only losers evaluate football by looking at a box score. Here's another fact for you: The Vols don't have to repeat anything vs WKU. They only play once this year.
    You know who else looks at box scores? People who want context to interpret what they see.

If the Vols want to win despite being statistically beaten, then they DO need to repeat a positive turnover differential and it's a safe bet they won't be +6 in a game again any time oon if ever again.

Obfuscation really isn't a compelling argument.

Quote Originally Posted by Todd Gack View Post
    No one really cares about winning percentages except for this current season. I'm a baseball fan because I love the tradition of the game, but I could care less where teams rank in terms of winning percentage. It's asinine.

It's even worse to argue about attendance for ________________. No one cares that 90k showed up to OSU or Auburn's spring game.
    The comment was made in the context of the Vols historical place relative to SEC teams. It's your comment that's either puzzlingly disconnected from the discussion or asinine on its face.

Turn Off Ads?