Turn Off Ads?
Page 9 of 67 FirstFirst ... 56789101112131959 ... LastLast

Thread: SEC Football discussion thread #2

Charlie Brown All-Star IslandRed's Avatar

Re: SEC Football discussion thread #2

Quote Originally Posted by dabvu2498 View Post
    Sounds like an argument Boise St. fans make.
    Or James Franklin.

(That's not a slam, by the way. I have great respect for the "who cares what happened before, we're going to make our own history" attitude.)
    Reading comprehension is not just an ability, it's a choice

2. Turn Off Ads?

Quote Originally Posted by IslandRed View Post
    Or James Franklin.

(That's not a slam, by the way. I have great respect for the "who cares what happened before, we're going to make our own history" attitude.)
    Oh no. I agree. And Franklin is trying to use it to his advantage... "Come make your own history or go somewhere else and just be the next guy in line."

But if I had history like Tennessee, Michigan, ND, OSU, etc, I'd run it out there every chance I got. Because, at most of those type places, history=support (money, facilities, exposure, etc.).
    When all is said and done more is said than done.

Roh, roh...

This could potentially impact the 2012 National Championship and hurt the attempts of MSU and UT to right their ships.

http://sports.yahoo.com/news/ncaaf--...202513237.html

Five Southeastern Conference football stars violated NCAA rules by receiving extra benefits prior to completing their collegiate careers, a Yahoo Sports investigation has found. The benefits – which in some cases came from multiple individuals – were conveyed to University of Alabama offensive tackle D.J. Fluker, University of Tennessee quarterback Tyler Bray, Tennessee defensive end Maurice Couch, Mississippi State University defensive tackle Fletcher Cox and Mississippi State wideout Chad Bumphis.
    This story begins with a paper trail and looks like it might have well-sourced legs.
    Last edited by jojo; 09-11-2013 at 06:21 PM.
    "This isn’t stats vs scouts - this is stats and scouts working together, building an organization that blends the best of both worlds. This is the blueprint for how a baseball organization should be run. And, whether the baseball men of the 20th century like it or not, this is where baseball is going."---Dave Cameron, U.S.S. Mariner

Am just going to assume that every Division I player gets money from some other party with bigger interests.

What is Alabama suppose to do in this case ? They couldnt sit Fluker because they had no knowledge of it.
    http://diamondvisits.blogspot.com/ My Minor League stadium review site.

Oh no. I agree. And Franklin is trying to use it to his advantage... "Come make your own history or go somewhere else and just be the next guy in line."

But if I had history like Tennessee, Michigan, ND, OSU, etc, I'd run it out there every chance I got. Because, at most of those type places, history=support (money, facilities, exposure, etc.).
    Great, use it for recruiting or whatever. But fans arguing about history or spring game attendances is dumb. It's kinda like arguing that Cam Newton was never paid in college.

7. Likes:

jimbo (09-12-2013)

Quote Originally Posted by Todd Gack View Post
    Great, use it for recruiting or whatever. But fans arguing about history or spring game attendances is dumb. It's kinda like arguing that Cam Newton was never paid in college.
    Well, they were arguing about the prestige of the programs. So what should they use in their arguments?

Well, they were arguing about the prestige of the programs. So what should they use in their arguments?
    You weren't arguing about prestige, so what argument are you trying to make hotshot?

And as far as prestige, it's like arguing over recruiting championships. My point is no one really cares about winning percentages or spring game attendances of universities except when they're arguing about something as dumb as prestige. Notre Dame football, IU basketball, Kentucky basketball, etc. . . .it's impossible debate. You may as well as be arguing about religion or abortion.
    Last edited by Todd Gack; 09-11-2013 at 09:04 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by jojo View Post
    Roh, roh...

This could potentially impact the 2012 National Championship and hurt the attempts of MSU and UT to right their ships.

This story begins with a paper trail and looks like it might have well-sourced legs.
    No it won't. It involves an SEC team or two. THey'll just wait until the offseason because they 'won't have time to investigate it right away.'

11. Likes:

jimbo (09-12-2013)

Quote Originally Posted by jojo View Post
    Roh, roh...

I catch myself sometimes criticizing these players for having such poor character. But it's only poor because the NCAA and its member schools have created a set of rules that deems it so and make it easy for this underworld of dirty agents to flourish. If a book publisher offered an outstanding college student money to write a book, everyone would applaud him. NCAA student-athletes are the only population where it would be seen as shady.

Rules are rules and if they have been broken, the student-athletes should be punished. But it's way past time to eliminate this "amateurism" ideal. All it has done is created a system where student-athletes are forced to put their trust in agent runners.
    "In our sundown perambulations of late, through the outer parts of Brooklyn, we have observed several parties of youngsters playing 'base', a certain game of ball. Let us go forth awhile, and get better air in our lungs. Let us leave our close rooms, the game of ball is glorious"
    -Walt Whitman

13. Likes:

Todd Gack (09-11-2013),VottoFan54 (09-12-2013)

The words of a fictional Bama fan seem apropos....stupid is as stupid does.

But riddle us this batman...how do smart people compare the historical performance of programs if smart people don't consider history?

Speaking of history, having the NCAA issue a statement that it couldn't go further in good conscience due to a lack of evidence after it dug into phone and bank records, texts, and conducted numerous interviews seems rather historical in nature. I don't know what happened at Florida or other places in conferences like the Big Ten.
    "This isn’t stats vs scouts - this is stats and scouts working together, building an organization that blends the best of both worlds. This is the blueprint for how a baseball organization should be run. And, whether the baseball men of the 20th century like it or not, this is where baseball is going."---Dave Cameron, U.S.S. Mariner

Quote Originally Posted by Reds Freak View Post
    I catch myself sometimes criticizing these players for having such poor character. But it's only poor because the NCAA and its member schools have created a set of rules that deems it so and make it easy for this underworld of dirty agents to flourish. If a book publisher offered an outstanding college student money to write a book, everyone would applaud him. NCAA student-athletes are the only population where it would be seen as shady.

Rules are rules and if they have been broken, the student-athletes should be punished. But it's way past time to eliminate this "amateurism" ideal. All it has done is created a system where student-athletes are forced to put their trust in agent runners.
    This Dan Wetzel piece captures my thoughts much better than my blabbering post above. Essentially, the "Amateurism" bylaw needs to hit the chopping block.

http://sports.yahoo.com/news/ncaaf--...210822795.html
    "In our sundown perambulations of late, through the outer parts of Brooklyn, we have observed several parties of youngsters playing 'base', a certain game of ball. Let us go forth awhile, and get better air in our lungs. Let us leave our close rooms, the game of ball is glorious"
    -Walt Whitman

Quote Originally Posted by 19braves77 View Post
    Am just going to assume that every Division I player gets money from some other party with bigger interests.

What is Alabama suppose to do in this case ? They couldnt sit Fluker because they had no knowledge of it.
    If the NCAA decides Phillips or Davis are boosters, it doesn't matter if they could've sat him.

You weren't arguing about prestige, so what argument are you trying to make hotshot?

And as far as prestige, it's like arguing over recruiting championships. My point is no one really cares about winning percentages or spring game attendances of universities except when they're arguing about something as dumb as prestige. Notre Dame football, IU basketball, Kentucky basketball, etc. . . .it's impossible debate. You may as well as be arguing about religion or abortion.
    1. I wasn't arguing anything. Re-read the thread.

2. What do you care what other people are arguing about in a thread about a conference you allegedly hate?

Couple of interesting SEC games:

Oregon over Tennessee
    Alabama over Texas AM ( like 24-21)
    Ole Miss over Texas
    Mississippi State over Auburn

I am worried the offense is not going to show up for Alabama and its going to be up to the Bama defense to seal a 17-16 like win......
    http://diamondvisits.blogspot.com/ My Minor League stadium review site.

Quote Originally Posted by 19braves77 View Post
    Couple of interesting SEC games:

Oregon over Tennessee
    Alabama over Texas AM ( like 24-21)
    Ole Miss over Texas
    Mississippi State over Auburn

I am worried the offense is not going to show up for Alabama and its going to be up to the Bama defense to seal a 17-16 like win......
    If Yeldon doesn't run for 200 yards against A&M, Bama fans really need to start contemplating the possibility of losing at least two games this year.

Turn Off Ads?