Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: FIFA Officials Arrested on Corruption Charges

FIFA Officials Arrested on Corruption Charges

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: FIFA Officials Arrested on Corruption Charges

Not that anyone will feel sorry for these FIFA guys, but this will expose a whole new group of folks who normally would not think about such matters to the broad overreach of the U.S. government when it comes to criminal prosecutions. It will be familiar to anyone who has followed the U.S.'s prosecutions/investigations/extortions under the FCPA.

If any of the crimes happened on American soil or in American banks, it's all fair game imo. These guys sound more like the mafia than they do a sports organization.

“The indictment alleges corruption that is rampant, systemic, and deep-rooted both abroad and here in the United States,” Attorney General Loretta Lynch said in a DOJ statement. “It spans at least two generations of soccer officials who, as alleged, have abused their positions of trust to acquire millions of dollars in bribes and kickbacks. And it has profoundly harmed a multitude of victims, from the youth leagues and developing countries that should benefit from the revenue generated by the commercial rights these organizations hold, to the fans at home and throughout the world whose support for the game makes those rights valuable.”
    http://abcnews.go.com/Sports/fifa-of...ry?id=31326400

Quote Originally Posted by Boston Red View Post
    Not that anyone will feel sorry for these FIFA guys, but this will expose a whole new group of folks who normally would not think about such matters to the broad overreach of the U.S. government when it comes to criminal prosecutions. It will be familiar to anyone who has followed the U.S.'s prosecutions/investigations/extortions under the FCPA.
    I was curious as to how the US was able to charge these members. From what I gathered from a few reports it was the use of US regulated banks for bribes. I understand how the CONCAF guy could get charged as he oversaw the US in FIFA, but the others its a little murkier. What I found ironic is the Swiss were doing an investigation as well and freely extradited the FIFA members to the US.

It is my understand that most of the powerful soccer nations want Blatter gone but he continues to hold on due to the equal vote given to every nation in FIFA. While Blatter probably will still get elected later this week, he may get in trouble by the arrested FIFA members spilling their beans in regards to Blatter.

So the attorney general, director of the FBI and the IRS were all at that press conference. I'd hate to be a corrupt FIFA official at the moment.

Quote Originally Posted by Stray View Post
    I'd hate to be a corrupt FIFA official at the moment.
    Yes, but I'd love to be one of their attorneys. Those guys will be getting $1,000+ per hour for a long, long time.

8. Likes:

Stray (05-27-2015)

This was petty inevitable the minute Qatar landed the 2022 WC. I hope they figure out a way to get Blatter.

10. Likes:

757690 (05-28-2015),Slyder (05-27-2015),ukredleg (05-27-2015)

They can spare the lot of them if it means Sepp Blatter's head ends up on a figurative (erm...) platter. Except for Jack Warner. I want his head right beside Sepp's. If anything, he was even more corrupt than Sepp but didn't have as large of an empire.
    Last edited by paintmered; 05-27-2015 at 05:58 PM.
    What if this wasn't a rhetorical question?

All models are wrong. Some of them are useful.

The allegations also extend to an unnamed "U.S. sporting goods company" who bribed their way to be the official supplier for the Brazilian national team in 2011.

Name:  53054.jpg
Views: 138
Size:  122.2 KB
    What if this wasn't a rhetorical question?

All models are wrong. Some of them are useful.

It's about time this whole thing came crashing down on these officials. It's always been known but never been able to be proven that FIFA is rife with corruption on this scale and I think the majority of football fans had resigned themselves to the fact FIFA were going to keep getting away with it for a very long time.

As for the upcoming election, how can this still go ahead knowing that the 2011 election that Blatter won is now under investigation? Even if Blatter is completely innocent in all this (which I highly doubt), this happened under his watch and he could not take up another term knowing that. Whatever, he's a dinosaur and needs to be gone anyway.

FIFA is corrupt? I'm shocked.

Teach tolerance.

15. Likes:

Assembly Hall (05-28-2015)

Quote Originally Posted by Roy Tucker View Post
    FIFA is corrupt? I'm shocked.
    Here's your winnings, Mr. Tucker.
    The Rally Onion wants 150 fans before Opening Day.

http://www.facebook.com/pages/Rally-...24872650873160

17. Likes:

IslandRed (05-28-2015)

Quote Originally Posted by paintmered View Post
    The allegations also extend to an unnamed "U.S. sporting goods company" who bribed their way to be the official supplier for the Brazilian national team in 2011.

Name:  53054.jpg
Views: 138
Size:  122.2 KB
    Actually, it reads that, "X" were to give $40M to an unnamed party, in addition to the $120M for 10 years to outfit Brazil, where that unnamed source then gave $20M to someone as a bribe. So, there was a middleman. Eventually, they will get Nike. FIFA has no integrity.
    "One problem with people who have no vices is that they're pretty sure to have some annoying virtues."

Correct me if I am wrong, but bribes per say are not illegal. Its the reporting of the bribes as income where legalities get breached. I am sure Nike will pay some kind of fine but am also pretty sure that Nike went about this in a way that massive fallout would not come back on them.

Quote Originally Posted by bucksfan2 View Post
    Correct me if I am wrong, but bribes per say are not illegal.
    It depends. Bribing a foreign government official will put you in the FCPA crosshairs. And that ain't pretty. And a "bribe" can be just about anything of value, and foreign government official is a pretty broadly interpreted term as well.

Turn Off Ads?