Turn Off Ads?
Page 31 of 37 FirstFirst ... 21272829303132333435 ... LastLast

Thread: Tennis Thread

Re: Tennis Thread

Quote Originally Posted by M2 View Post
    If you could have predicted beforehand that Rafa and Roger would be splitting the majors this year, you'd be pretty rich right now.
    Speaking of remarkable, Martina Hingis won both doubles titles exactly 20 years after winning her only US Open singles title.
    Last edited by nmculbreth; 09-11-2017 at 12:41 AM.

2. Likes:

Kingspoint (09-11-2017)

3. Turn Off Ads?

The year of Federer - Nadal continues with another final in Shanghai. It's been kind of surreal. I'm not surprised Federer won the match, but I'm a little surprised at how easily he won. That's 3 straight finals on hard courts that Fed has had little trouble in beating Nadal.

Roger is 44-4 on the season and Rafa is 65-10. That's remarkable for a couple of guys in their 30s.

Would be great if it continues into next year, but the odds are it won't. I just want to enjoy the rest of this year and hope we see another final with these 2 in London.
    Grape works as a soda. Sort of as a gum. I wonder why it doesn't work as a pie. Grape pie? There's no grape pie. - Larry David

Crazy that Rafa has played 75 matches and stayed healthy.
    "For every complex problem there is an answer that is clear, simple, and wrong." - H. L. Mencken

Quote Originally Posted by Redsfaithful View Post
    Had played. His knee was injured before this Final....gave it a go in the first set, then tried to end it quickly in the 2nd.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by MWM View Post
    The year of Federer - Nadal continues with another final in Shanghai. It's been kind of surreal. I'm not surprised Federer won the match, but I'm a little surprised at how easily he won. That's 3 straight finals on hard courts that Fed has had little trouble in beating Nadal.

Roger is 44-4 on the season and Rafa is 65-10. That's remarkable for a couple of guys in their 30s.

Would be great if it continues into next year, but the odds are it won't. I just want to enjoy the rest of this year and hope we see another final with these 2 in London.
    Nadal was badly injured.
    "One problem with people who have no vices is that they're pretty sure to have some annoying virtues."

I just don't see how he can continue to play this schedule and play well with how physical a game he plays. His interview was interesting when he was talking about Roger playing such a limited schedule but still playing well. He was very complimentary of Roger because he had to be, but you could tell he was really skeptical of the idea. It's hard to know exactly what he meant to say, but he implied that while it worked out well for Roger it could have just as easily not worked out and then there would have been big questions as to how smart it was to have so many long layoffs before big events.

I can't find a link to it, but I read it yesterday and was a but surprised by it. He wasn't being critical of Roger, but I took it as him being afraid he would lose sharpness and confidence from not playing regularly.

Next year is going to be a really interesting one. It wouldn't surprise me if Djokovic came back with a vengeance. It's hard to doubt Roger, but I just can't see him having another year like this one. Rafa is 5 years younger, so it's more likely he'll remain at or near the top. But I'm also really curious to see if someone like Zverev or Shapovalov takes that next step and starts beating these guys with consistency.
    Grape works as a soda. Sort of as a gum. I wonder why it doesn't work as a pie. Grape pie? There's no grape pie. - Larry David

8. Likes:

Redsfaithful (10-16-2017)

Roger is such a talent that I would not be surprised if he could play 3 majors a year, and a handful of other tournaments sprinkled in and stay a top player into his early 40's.

Sounds crazy, I know, but I just can't doubt him.

Rafa I would not say that about, even though he's one of the greatest of all time.

There's so much talent sitting injured right now, that I have no doubt next year will get tougher. Wawrinka, Murray, Novak, all will be back. I think Zverev took a huge step this year, and Shapovalov is obviously going to be a top 5 guy, just a matter of time. And then I figure Kyrgios will get it all together at some point. He's a #1 talent if he can fix the mental side and want it - and I think he will at some point, if only for a year or two.
    "For every complex problem there is an answer that is clear, simple, and wrong." - H. L. Mencken

Nadal pulled out of Paris today with a knee issue. I certainly hope this isn't something that lingers. Nadal has played A LOT this year. Federer already pulled out before the event.

I love the ATP Tour finals, so I'd be super bummed if it winds up being without Roger and Rafa. No Roger, Rafa, Djokovic, or Wawrinka would make it almost not worth watching (unless Del Potro gets in).

11. Likes:

Kingspoint (11-04-2017)

It's the first tennis major of 2018 and the appropriately-named Tennys Sandgren is into the quarters. Sandgren, a qualifier, has bounced Stan Wawrinka and Dominic Thiem on his way into the final eight. He faces unseeded Hyeon Chung next. If Sandgren moves on into the semis, he will likely meet up with some guy named Federer. Good luck!
    Last edited by texasdave; 01-22-2018 at 01:25 PM.

This thing is falling into place nicely for the senior citizen Federer.

Federer won in straights set in the 4th round, but he didn't looked especially great. He's going to have to play better than that if he's going to beat Nadal, who looks as good as ever this tournament.

Berdych has randomly been super dominant. He always gets rolled by Federer, will be interesting to see if that stays the same this time.

Berdych has randomly been super dominant. He always gets rolled by Federer, will be interesting to see if that stays the same this time.
    I had the exact same thought watching him against Fognini. I haven't seen Berdych play much the last year or so, but he looked like a different guy in the round of 16. He's always had the arsenal, but he had a confidence about him I don't remember him having.

Quote Originally Posted by MWM View Post
    I had the exact same thought watching him against Fognini. I haven't seen Berdych play much the last year or so, but he looked like a different guy in the round of 16. He's always had the arsenal, but he had a confidence about him I don't remember him having.
    I haven't seen Berdych this tournament, but he makes a habit of flattering to deceive.
    Wait until the year after next year.

Quote Originally Posted by M2 View Post
    I haven't seen Berdych this tournament, but he makes a habit of flattering to deceive.
    That’s a true statement. The most likely scenario is that he’ll shrink in the big moment like he always does. But I’ve been watching him a long time. Yesterday may have been the best I’ve ever seen him play.

Anyone watch the Kerber - Hsieh match last night? That was of the funnest matches I’ve ever watched. Hsieh was awesome and very unconventional. Kerber had no answer for her for almost 2 sets until she ran out of gas. But for about 90 minutes, she looked like the best player in the world.

Turn Off Ads?