Turn Off Ads?
Page 44 of 44 FirstFirst ... 344041424344

Thread: Tennis Thread

Re: Tennis Thread

I'm more of a casual tennis fan but looks to me like Naomi Osaka might be the real deal. Australian Open champ and a world #1 ranking (first Asian player to do so) She should have won in straight sets against Kvitová but let herself get distracted or something before she rallied and took the third set. She keeps herself focused in a match, she's going to be good for a long time. First player since Capriati to follow up a first grand slam victory with another. French is going to be interesting on the ladies side - she's had early round success there.
    If evolution is outlawed, only outlaws will evolve!

2. Turn Off Ads?

Thought we were finally going to see a good hard court match between Federer and Nadal.

I don't think it will ever happen again.
    "One problem with people who have no vices is that they're pretty sure to have some annoying virtues."

Federer really choked away that 3rd set. Thiem played well but roger had the break then blew it then was broken ugly. Not sure he’s going to have any better chances to get another masters win.
    Grape works as a soda. Sort of as a gum. I wonder why it doesn't work as a pie. Grape pie? There's no grape pie. - Larry David

I keep thinking/hoping that Venus is going to be able to rally all the way to the end for one more big tournament win, but it's looking like that's not going to happen. She looked totally gassed yesterday. But her continuing to advance in tournaments when she's almost 39 years old, and with the health issues she's had, is pretty amazing.

I think Venus gets overlooked because of the accomplishments of Serena, but she's one of the best ever and has had to overcome more than most players. She was the one that first came into the public spotlight and had to deal with all the craziness that came with them coming onto the tennis scene. Serena wound up becoming the bigger name, but in the beginning the spotlight was mostly on Venus and I think Serena probably benefited from that. Would be cool to see her win one last time.
    Grape works as a soda. Sort of as a gum. I wonder why it doesn't work as a pie. Grape pie? There's no grape pie. - Larry David

6. Likes:

Patrick Bateman (03-26-2019),Redsfaithful (03-26-2019),texasdave (03-26-2019)

Tiafoe looked as good as I've ever seen him last night against Goffin. I think he could be ready for a big breakthrough.

Quote Originally Posted by MWM View Post
    Tiafoe looked as good as I've ever seen him last night against Goffin. I think he could be ready for a big breakthrough.
    Yes, this is the year. Top 10 by end of hard court season.
    “When I use a word,” Trumpty Dumpty said, in rather a scornful tone, “it means just what I choose it to mean—neither more nor less.” “The question is,” said Alice, “whether you can make words mean so many different things.” “The question is,” said Trumpty Dumpty, “which is to be master—that’s all.”

Turn Off Ads?