Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 70 123451151 ... LastLast

Thread: Tennis Thread

Tennis Thread

There's a thread about every other sport, so I thought I'd start one about tennis as this is the week of the big event in Cincy. I can't be the only tennis fan on this forum.

Feel free to discuss the professional game or your own game. I've really been bitten by the tennis bug this year. Living in FL lets me play year year 'round outdoors and I'm lucky enough to live in a community that has a great tennis facility with really nice clay courts.

Anyone watch Djokovic and Nadal in Canada last weekend? 3rd set was pretty amazing tennis.
    Grape works as a soda. Sort of as a gum. I wonder why it doesn't work as a pie. Grape pie? There's no grape pie. - Larry David

2. Likes:

BoxingRed (08-16-2013),Patrick Bateman (08-15-2013)

3. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Tennis Thread

Used to play alot during my younger days but interfered with my cricket too much. I wouldn't call myself a massive fan but i go to the Aussie open each year and will be going to the Us Open in a couple of weeks. Mainly follow the Aussie players, Davis Cup and the majors.
    Melbourne to Cincinnati - September 1st - 12th 2013

Played varsity in high school and socially through college. Health problems drove me away from the court but I still enjoy watching from time to time.

I've become a big fan of watching, even went to the US open last year.

My favourite player is Jo Wily Tsonga. I always like the underdog. One thing I dislike about tennis is that the same people win the majors all the time. It was nice to see Murray breakthrough even though I'm not a big fan. I'm still holding out hope that Tsonga can get healthy and contend for the US Open this year as he's perfectly capable of getting to a semi, but has never been able to beat 3 of the big players in a row (few can). I fear Wimbledon was his best chance with the way he had been playing leading up to it, but with the injury halting his momentum, and already being 28, he might not have any chance of breaking through at this point. The main reason I went to watch the US Open last year was to watch Jo pay, but he had his worst tourny of the year and was bounced in the second round, before I even arrived in NYC. It was too bad, as he's normally a lock to get to the round of 16, and more often than not quarters. I think if he can get back to full health, he can contend. Federer seems to have finally declined to the level that he can be beaten routinely with a great performance, Djokovik has been beatable, Murray maybe doesn't have as much motiviation, and Nadal is not the player he once was and I think can be beaten on surfaces that aren't clay. I think someone besides the big 4 are going to breakthrough in the next year in a major. If Tsonga is healthy, it could be possible, but same could be said for Berdych, Del Potro, and perhaps even Janowicz. With that said all of Djok, Nadal, and Murray are still easily the favourites at this point.

The Canadian tournament was fun, especially for us in Canada that finally saw Raonic beat some high level players, and Pospisil having his coming out party, jumping to the top 40 in rankings and making a semi. Not to mention 3 other Canadians won matches, it was really quite a historic event for Canadian tennis and it really seems like it is going to keep getting better.

I'm hoping next year when I have my annual Reds trip that I can plan it around the Ciny Open... watch high level tennis during the day, and Reds games at night. Would be a lot of fun.

Charlie Brown All-Star IslandRed's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by reds1869 View Post
    Played varsity in high school and socially through college. Health problems drove me away from the court but I still enjoy watching from time to time.
    Same here, except replace "health problems" with "laziness."
    Reading comprehension is not just an ability, it's a choice

I got tickets for myself and my daughter for the women's semifinals this Saturday at the Western and Southern Open. We are really looking forward to it!
    "Why are those Dodger pitchers in the Reds bullpen?"-GAC August 28, 2009

Quote Originally Posted by Patrick Bateman View Post
    One thing I dislike about tennis is that the same people win the majors all the time.
    I used to dislike this as well, but it's become apparent to me that the big 3 (Murray has had a nice 12 months, but he does warrant inclusion with this group, IMO) are just that good. This could be the golden age of tennis as it's possible that Federer, Nadal, and Djokovic are 3 of the top 4-5 players of all time and they are playing at the relatively the same time (Federer is 5 years older than the other 2).

The quality of tennis when any of those 2 meet is unrivaled and we've been treated to a really high percentage of the best matches of all time. The 2008 Wimbledon final was as good as it gets. The 2012 Aussie Open final is right there with it as the 2 best matches I've ever seen. The french open semi this year with Nadal and Nole was another epic match. The list is long of just unbelievable matches with these 3.

I think think they are just that much better than everyone else.
    Grape works as a soda. Sort of as a gum. I wonder why it doesn't work as a pie. Grape pie? There's no grape pie. - Larry David

Kinda fun to see the tennis pros at local restaurants and grocery stores.
    She used to wake me up with coffee ever morning

Quote Originally Posted by MWM View Post
    I used to dislike this as well, but it's become apparent to me that the big 3 (Murray has had a nice 12 months, but he does warrant inclusion with this group, IMO) are just that good. This could be the golden age of tennis as it's possible that Federer, Nadal, and Djokovic are 3 of the top 4-5 players of all time and they are playing at the relatively the same time (Federer is 5 years older than the other 2).

The quality of tennis when any of those 2 meet is unrivaled and we've been treated to a really high percentage of the best matches of all time. The 2008 Wimbledon final was as good as it gets. The 2012 Aussie Open final is right there with it as the 2 best matches I've ever seen. The french open semi this year with Nadal and Nole was another epic match. The list is long of just unbelievable matches with these 3.

So, who are the one, maybe two players in the history of the sport that can crack this triumvirate?

Quote Originally Posted by texasdave View Post
    So, who are the one, maybe two players in the history of the sport that can crack this triumvirate?
    Laver and maybe Borg and/or Sampras. I think Federer is the greatest ever, but I never saw Laver play obviously. It's one of those two. Nadal is unbeatable on clay and still great on the other surfaces, but probably not in the top of all time. Djokovic is good across surfaces but needs to sustain his place on the top for a while longer.

I really like all 3 of the current guys. They're so great in such different ways. Federer is like an artist with a tennis racquet; Nadal is pure power; and Nole is so athletic. Such great players to all come along at the same time. If Nadal comes along a few years later, there's little doubt Federer wins all slams in the same year more than once. It's just a joy to watch.

Quote Originally Posted by MWM View Post

No question about it. Even the semis normally have some epic matches, like Federer and Djok in the 2011 US Open. They just all have so many qualities that make it impossible to win points consistently without having to make numerous high quality shots. It's certainly a more satisfying game of tennis than watching pure serve guys like Raonic or Isner, or guys who don't have the physicality and athleticism to make creative and elite shots.

At the same time, there are going to be some really fine players that never win a major in this era. Del Potro was lucky he already got his, because he's always a walking injury waiting to happen as good a player as he is. I'm really looking forward to the US Open this year... will be interesting to see if some of the second tier guys can find a way to break through and get to a final.

Quote Originally Posted by Patrick Bateman View Post
    No question about it. Even the semis normally have some epic matches, like Federer and Djok in the 2011 US Open. They just all have so many qualities that make it impossible to win points consistently without having to make numerous high quality shots. It's certainly a more satisfying game of tennis than watching pure serve guys like Raonic or Isner, or guys who don't have the physicality and athleticism to make creative and elite shots.

At the same time, there are going to be some really fine players that never win a major in this era. Del Potro was lucky he already got his, because he's always a walking injury waiting to happen as good a player as he is. I'm really looking forward to the US Open this year... will be interesting to see if some of the second tier guys can find a way to break through and get to a final.
    Actually since Djokavic (and Murray to a slightly lesser extent) joined the other two on top, it seems like the best match is whichever semi has two of those 4 guys in it. By the time the winner of the semifinal gets through, he seems to be primed to be beaten in the final.
    Quote Originally Posted by BuckeyeRed27 View Post
    Honest I can't say it any better than Hoosier Red did in his post, he sums it up basically perfectly.

Quote Originally Posted by Hoosier Red View Post
    Actually since Djokavic (and Murray to a slightly lesser extent) joined the other two on top, it seems like the best match is whichever semi has two of those 4 guys in it. By the time the winner of the semifinal gets through, he seems to be primed to be beaten in the final.
    Sometimes for sure. There's no doubt that Djokovic was spent after his epic semi against Del Potro at Wimbledon. He clearly had not recovered from that. That was one of the best matches I've seen and made me a Delpo fan. And even better my two daughters sat and watched that entire match with me. The older one is now a huge Del Potro and fan and the younger one Djokovic. They can't seem to get enough tennis now.

I would rank the top four of all-time like this:

1)Laver
    2)Borg
    3)Federer
    4)Sampras

I understand that is completely subjective. And I wouldn't really argue too vehemently if someone changed the order around.

Isner giving Djokovic all he can handle.

Turn Off Ads?