Turn Off Ads?
Page 4 of 70 FirstFirst 123456781454 ... LastLast

Thread: Tennis Thread

Re: Tennis Thread

Quote Originally Posted by M2 View Post
    Just the other day she mentioned that winning in Cincinnati is on her career bucket list. They might like her better now.
    Maybe. they're reasoning is that they think she's faked injuries there multiple times in the early rounds because she really doesn't want to play there. I have no idea if it's true or not, but that's what they believe. Apparently, the sponsors have been very vocal in their irritation.

I liked the williams sisters quite a bit when they first started dominating women's tennis. A lot of people didn't care for them, but I liked seeing some diversity in the game, not just in race but in their style and their personalities. Somewhere along they became celebrities and started acting like it. Serena seemed to evolve into a diva of sorts. But to be fair, this hasn't been uncommon of women's tennis players recently. Sharapova is the same way. I wish Justine Henin would have stuck around longer. Now she could play. I loved her style....very athletic and one of the few who could match Serena when she was at her best.

On the men's side, Nadal is playing some of the best tennis of his life. His defense is as good as ever and he's punishing the ball.
    Nadal looks as unbeatable as anyone I've seen in a long time.....maybe even as much as Federer when he was 26-27 (same age as Nadal is now). Gasquet actually was competitive with him, but I just don't see how anyone can beat him 3 sets the way he's playing now. Djokovic is the only one who has any chance, but I don't even see him being able to.
    Last edited by MWM; 09-08-2013 at 09:51 PM.
    Grape works as a soda. Sort of as a gum. I wonder why it doesn't work as a pie. Grape pie? There's no grape pie. - Larry David

2. Turn Off Ads?

While we're on the subject of women's tennis, I really like the looks of Sloane Stephens. She could really be good if she keeps progressing over the next couple of years. She's got some game.
    Grape works as a soda. Sort of as a gum. I wonder why it doesn't work as a pie. Grape pie? There's no grape pie. - Larry David

Quote Originally Posted by MWM View Post
    I really want to like Serena Williams. I try really hard to, but I just can't. she acts too much like a spoiled brat when she plays.
    I can't stand her. I root for her opponent every time she plays, including in the Olympics. Venus is much more likable.

I don't go so far as rooting against Serena, usually - she's an American and I generally pull for American tennis. I do wish she'd have a little less of a chip on her shoulder, but it might be part of what makes her great.

She can be disrespectful to opponents and umpires for no real reason - I don't mind seeing personality (there's not enough in tennis anymore) but there needs to be a cause.

I think it might bother me because she's do dominant that she's normally on cruise control. Why have an attitude when you're killing someone?
    Turning and turning in the widening gyre
    The falcon cannot hear the falconer;

Nadal looks as unbeatable as anyone I've seen in a long time.....maybe even as much as Federer when he was 26-27 (same age as Nadal is now). Gasquet actually was competitive with him, but I just don't see how anyone can beat him 3 sets the way he's playing now. Djokovic is the only one who has any chance, but I don't even see him being able to.
    Weird match today. Rafa dominated early, then Djokovic took command, then Rafa stole the third set and won the fourth on cruise control. The ability of both guys to make adjustments and raise their level of play during the match was cool to watch.
    I'm not a system player. I am a system.

Weird match today. Rafa dominated early, then Djokovic took command, then Rafa stole the third set and won the fourth on cruise control. The ability of both guys to make adjustments and raise their level of play during the match was cool to watch.
    That was my reaction during the match, too. I missed most of the first 2 sets, but Nole was cruising in the 3rd, dictating the play, and looked like he had control of the match. The all of a sudden he starts hitting inexplicable errors.....bad ones. This wasn't Rafa forcing him to make errors, but routine shots were going into the net or flying 3 feet long. It's almost like he choked.

The Rafa started playing his game in the 4th set and it was over. I was disappointed, not because I was pulling for Nole over Nadal, but because it seemed like he was handing the match to Nadal as opposed to making him earn it. Nadal doesn't need help. But Nadal wasn't doing all that much during that stretch of about 6 games where the match turned and was decided. It went from a classic match with the highest quality tennis to sloppy and lopsided.

I wonder if the marathon semi for Nole against Wawrinka didn't come back to haunt him. He may have ran out of gas.

That was my reaction during the match, too. I missed most of the first 2 sets, but Nole was cruising in the 3rd, dictating the play, and looked like he had control of the match. The all of a sudden he starts hitting inexplicable errors.....bad ones. This wasn't Rafa forcing him to make errors, but routine shots were going into the net or flying 3 feet long. It's almost like he choked.

The Rafa started playing his game in the 4th set and it was over. I was disappointed, not because I was pulling for Nole over Nadal, but because it seemed like he was handing the match to Nadal as opposed to making him earn it. Nadal doesn't need help. But Nadal wasn't doing all that much during that stretch of about 6 games where the match turned and was decided. It went from a classic match with the highest quality tennis to sloppy and lopsided.

I wonder if the marathon semi for Nole against Wawrinka didn't come back to haunt him. He may have ran out of gas.
    He probably ran out of gas a bit. That's an extra large problem against Nadal, not only because you need to hit extra winners but because Rafa's crazy topspin makes it so easy to mi**** a ball. The kick on Rafa's shots is ridiculous. Mostly I think the difference was Rafa was able to maintain a generally superhuman level of play while Djokovic was only intermittently superhuman.

These guys are so good that the moment you slip even a little bit, you start to lose badly.
    I'm not a system player. I am a system.

He probably ran out of gas a bit. That's an extra large problem against Nadal, not only because you need to hit extra winners but because Rafa's crazy topspin makes it so easy to mi**** a ball. The kick on Rafa's shots is ridiculous. Mostly I think the difference was Rafa was able to maintain a generally superhuman level of play while Djokovic was only intermittently superhuman.

These guys are so good that the moment you slip even a little bit, you start to lose badly.
    I will say this for Nadal, I can't ever remember him going through a stretch like Djokovic did in the final. Pretty much all players go through stretches in matches where they make multiple mistakes and get sloppy for a bit. Even Fed did from time to time. Nadal never seems to beat himself. It's just almost impossible to beat that guy 3 sets. I watch him sometimes and wonder how he ever loses.

Nadal has to play the best defense in tennis history. So often you think a point is over, and not only does he get to the ball he hits a ridiculous offensive shot from a weak position.

I wanted to take a moment to pass on some info that I've found helpful over the years and some others here may as well. For about 5-6 years I've been a subscriber to a blog that's called 'Web Tennis'. It's run by a guy named Brent Abel who is Nationally ranked in a number of age groups and even ranked #1 in the U.S. in several. There is no charge for this blog but about once /week for the last 5-6 years he has sent me an instructional video free via the internet. There is nothing 'earth shattering ' but he does touch on various phases of the game and I've found them helpful to remind me of basic strokes, stratagey, nutrition, etc. Brent does sell various products, video lessons, etc. but it's a very 'soft-sell' aproach. He even tells you that most people that buy things over sites like this never end up using them, so be sure that you will use it if you buy it. In all of the time that I've been subscribed with him I've bought exactly ONE product from him---a video on the serve that helped me a lot with my toss and solved a problem I was having at the time. So, this morning, I've forwarding a video that I got from him for you to take a look at. There are three follow-up videos and I just watched the first one. It was something that I knew but interesting and remindfull of the situation (all three videos pertain to the serve). I'm looking forward to the next two 'lessons'! After the instructional video he offers a comentary column, where you can ask questions or offer your own comments. He answers almost every comment. Often the questions and comments fill out what you just watched in the video.

So, if you're interested, give it a look!

http://1stservemastery.webtennis.com...ve-video-tips/

Rem
    "For Reds fans, by Reds fans" Learn it, love it, live it.

12. Likes:

Redsfaithful (09-17-2013)

Nice Rem, I definitely will check it out.

I joined a World Team Tennis team, and realize I might be 4.0- (ish) in singles, but I'm 3.5 at best in doubles. The speed of what's going at the net at 4.0 doubles is just too much.

I'm 2-0 in my 4.0 winter indoor league (playing pro sets - 1 hour block every week.) Huge hitters both weeks, I'm having to adjust to the pace, it's a faster game.

Last week I went up 6-0, but only won when the clock ran out up 7-5. I'll take it though. If I could get close to .500 in this league I'd consider it a huge success.

14. Likes:

remdog (09-17-2013)

RF: If you are playing a lot of 'big hitters', consider 'slicing' or 'chipping' the ball. As we've noted we are both 5'8" and a guy with a big serve can get that ball in on me quite rapidly and get a bounce often in the shoulder height on me. That's a tough ball to get a good swing on to be hitting it with topspin. About 20 years ago, I went to a tennis camp in Palm Springs and the instructor drilled me for what seemed like 'forever' on hitting a 'slice' or 'chip'. Actually, once I got it down it made a big change in my game! That big serve became easier to hit because it was coming up about shoulder high and instead of taking a big swing, I simply stood in there and chipped it much like a shoulder high volley. The result was more balls in play, the ball stayed down and skidded, not setting up for them to take a big swing at. Big hitters are often bigger guys and they are having to carry a lot more weight around than we do and that makes them take another big swing (as well as move to the ball and bend their knees in order to get down to the ball). Over the course of the match, this can take a toll on them. It also creates some geometry problems for then if they are trying to hit a passing shot. Their ball generally comes back higher and in a more definitive/predictable area (for you to hit). In terms of doubles, this could help slowdown the pace for your team since it's a little slower shot, it gives you more time to move in and claim the net and it forces your opponents to hit up on the ball, often resulting in some (sometimes many) easy volleys for you and your partner.

Brent Abel has a video on this shot. I think it was his sales video from a couple of years ago. I'm not saying to buy it, in fact, I'm not sure if it's even still available but you might want to take a look at it to see if this shot is something that would help your game. If you are working with a coach or tennis pro in the Columbus area, ask them what they think of the idea. Brents' video is at http://www.webtennis.com/tennis-less...pproach-shots/. Keep hittin 'em.

Rem
    Last edited by remdog; 09-17-2013 at 12:06 PM.
    "For Reds fans, by Reds fans" Learn it, love it, live it.

Been playing a lot lately and had been on a tear, winning 5 straight matches and playing the best I've played to date in my 3.5 league. Then I played a skilled pusher and I just can't seem to beat these guys. I've read that the first time you beat a good pusher is a big day in your development as a player, and once you beat that first one you'll never lose to one again.

There are a couple in this league and they eat my lunch every time. I fall into all the traps.... I get frustrated, start asking myself how I could be losing to this person, etc.... I don't know how they have any fun playing tennis and I don't respect them as players, yet I can't beat them.

Anyone else struggle against this style? And how did you overcome it?

I played 3.5 over the summer in a league that I eventually won, and I had to beat a guy twice (once in regular season and again in playoffs) that was the biggest pusher I've ever seen.

Such a big pusher that I'd try to pull him into the net intentionally giving him short balls and he would run in, hit them, and run back to the baseline.

I actually dropped a set to him in our first meeting, because I was getting frustrated, trying to crush the ball from the baseline, approaching the net on weak approach shots, etc. He wasn't completely unskilled, he hit a nice passing shot when I was at the net, but mostly just pushed the ball back.

After that first set I decided the entire thing was ridiculous, I was a more skilled player, and if he wanted to push then I'd push too. I'm capable of returning pushed shots all day if someone wants to do that.

So from then on I:

- Only hit safe shots
    - Did not try to force my way to the net. If he gave me a short ball I didn't worry too much about hitting a winner because he chased down nearly everything. With short balls, I just hit deep, hard (but safe/high percentage) shots to his backhand. Usually this produced a return that I could put away at the net. And if he hit a lob I went back and got it and reset the point. In the first set this frustrated me, but I let it go.

We had rallies that had to have been over 20 shots. It was exhausting, and it was 95+ degrees that day which added to the misery. But after dropping that set I won the next two 6-3, 6-1 and then later beat him in the playoff 6-2, 6-2.

So I guess my biggest takeaway is to stay calm, respect what they can do, completely cut down on your unforced errors, and be patient. When you play these guys you are in for the long haul.

I've played pushers before, but never one like the last one I played. Some pushers do it because they aren't very skilled and have no choice. Some do it because they are really good at executing the pushing strategy. This guy is very good at playing the pushing strategy. I get frustrated sometimes playing against pushers, but I don't think I've ever been as frustrated as I was this time......which is playing right into their hands.

What's funny is I was so frustrated that when I was down 4-0 in the second set (lost the first one 6-3), I finally said I was going to prove a point so I started pushing it back. For 2 games it was literally 2 guys sitting there just hitting it back and forth hardly moving. Every point was like 20 shots and the games took forever. I won 2 games in a row. I was simply trying to show him that I could sit and do this all day long if he wanted to. But I wasn't interested in playing any more like that so I stopped and lost the set. Tennis would be no fun playing that way for me.

I did some reading today on a tennis forum and all the conventional wisdom from teachers is that trying to push back against a skilled pusher is a losing strategy. It may work for some, but not for most. Most of what I read talked about focusing on placement without trying to drill winners every shot right down the line. You can't try to hit balls no pace really hard. You have to hit at like 75-80%. There's really no way around not playing longer points than usual unless you're hitting your ground strokes with great confidence. I have a hard time hitting with much power on shots that have no pace..... at least not yet, but I've only been playing for close to a year now. Serve and volley is supposed to be a good way to beat pushers too, but I'm just not good enough yet to do this. And the clay courts I play on are pretty slow, which would make it even harder.

I also read that as soon as I start beating 3.5 pushers with consistency, I'd still get beaten badly by 4.0 pushers, so it's part of the game at all levels I guess. To me, it's just not tennis. I don't see the point. But the development of my mental game is definitely lagging my physical game.
    Last edited by MWM; 12-05-2013 at 11:17 PM.

Turn Off Ads?