Turn Off Ads?
Page 11 of 70 FirstFirst ... 7891011121314152161 ... LastLast

Thread: Tennis Thread

Re: Tennis Thread

So Rafa took the French Open. Not much of a shocker there. Wawrinka, Dimitrov and Nishikori went out in the first round. Federer also went out early, and immediately started preparing for Wimbledon. Given that there's only two weeks between the French Open and Wimbledon, it's possible that you've got to throw your chips down one one of the other.
    I'm not a system player. I am a system.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Murray and Rafa immediately dropped their first matches on grass yesterday, while Jocovich lost his first set.
    "One problem with people who have no vices is that they're pretty sure to have some annoying virtues."

I was disappointed in the French final. I just wanted to see a good match, but I also would have liked to have seen Nole get his career grand slam. The match was boring. Nadal didn't have his best game, but he won the game between the ears. Djokovic really disappointed me with how he handled the match. I looked to me like once Nadal took the lead in the 2nd set and started finding his game, Djokovic kind of checked out of the match mentally. He became very negative in his body language and demeanor and almost seemed already defeated.

At some point in the 3rd set, Nadal realized he didn't have to go all out every point and began to play conservatively and let Djokovic make mistakes. He then picked his spots to hit his devastating inside-out forehand for winners, but for the most part he just played smart and showed why he's got so many more slams than Novak. He made great adjustments while Djokovic didn't. This match was almost identical to the US Open final. Novak cruises early and Nadal keeps grinding until he finds his game and once momentum shifted just a bit, Djokovic starts making really bad unforced errors (and not even close ones at that) and seems to check out of the match mentally. They've played 4 times between these 2 slam finals and Novak won all of them.

I think this is where Nadal is better than anyone else I've watched. I can't remember him ever getting so frustrated in a match that his body language and demeanor goes to where Novak's went. Even when Nadal is not playing well and losing, he always stays calm and maintains his composure. This is Andy Murray's achilles heel as well. Nadal never checks out mentally. This is where Djokovic is lacking.

I think Nadal gets to 17 or maybe 18, but I don't think it will go higher than that. He's still getting wins, but is having to work harder for it and isn't dominating much anymore. If his body holds up, I think he wins at least one more French, maybe 2. He needs to find a way to get Wimbledon or the US Open this year. He just turned 28 last week so his clock is ticking. I don't Federer winning another and think this is likely his last year as a real contender.
    Grape works as a soda. Sort of as a gum. I wonder why it doesn't work as a pie. Grape pie? There's no grape pie. - Larry David

I think it has to be a real mental challenge going into a clay match against Rafa to begin with, knowing how much you're going to have to grind and hurt, and then once it starts going poorly ...

I am hoping Federer gets one of the next two, because I'd like to see him win one more, and I agree that this is probably it.
    Turning and turning in the widening gyre
    The falcon cannot hear the falconer;

And Wimbledon has begun....

Anyone here rooting for Federer to win it all (his last real chance to get another Major)?
    "One problem with people who have no vices is that they're pretty sure to have some annoying virtues."

I was happy to see Lindsay Davenport inducted into the Tennis Hall of fame in Newport, R.I. last weekend.

Rem
    "For Reds fans, by Reds fans" Learn it, love it, live it.

8. Likes:

Chip R (07-19-2014),Dom Heffner (07-27-2014),Hoosier Red (07-19-2014),Redsfaithful (07-19-2014)

Dang!

Rafa just got hurt. His wrist is in a cast.

He's going to miss Cincinnati and the next tournament, and may not be ready for the U.S. Open. He's defending Champion of the next three main tournaments. I feel really bad for people who have planned all year for Cincinnati, especially for those who came to see him. People were attending from all around the World to come to this tournament. What a blow!

He'll lose 2,000 points by not being able to defend his next two tournaments, so that basically hands the season title to DJokovich.

Sorry also for all the locals, but they get to see him every year. Some have planned trips there who would have seen Nadal for the first time in person.

This isn't on the scale of Hamas trying to wipe out your existence on the Earth, but it still hurts a lot of people.

10. Likes:

Dom Heffner (07-30-2014)

Anyone else going to the W&S Open? I'm going to try to get down 3 different days. One of the Qualie days, and then probably Wednesday/Friday or Thursday/Friday.

Thought there'd be some stories from Cincy.

I'm going tonight, will be sitting third row center. Get to see Fed and Wozniacki.

I went down Sunday for qualifiers, which I maintain is one of the best values in Cincinnati sports. $30 and you get to sit 10 feet from the action all day long.

Saw a great match between Monica Puig and Karin Knapp that went three sets and ended with a tiebreak (Knapp won.) Puig is only 20, if she ever broke through I could see her being a big star.

14. Likes:

Kingspoint (08-14-2014)

Again, nice seats. Hope all went well.

Big-time bump.

Australian Open is into the semi-finals. No Novak. No Federer.

The semis are Andy Murray vs. Tomas Berdych. Novak Djokovic vs. Stan Wawrinka.

Djokovic has reached the semis in 25 consecutive Grand Slam events.

I am looking for a Murray - Djokovic final. So, it will probably be Berdych - Wawrinka. LOL.

On the women's side, Serena overpowers Sharapova, IMO.

I love the late Saturday night (U.S. time) mens' final for the Australian Open.

18. Likes:

Dom Heffner (01-29-2015),texasdave (01-29-2015)

I think Djokovic wins assuming Wawrinka doesn't play like he did in the quarterfinal. No one can beat him playing like that. Novak and Wawrinka have had some epic 5 set matches the last 2 seasons at both the Aussie and US Open. If good Wawrinka shows up, that will be a great match. Wawrinka is the only guy to beat Djokovic in Australia since 2010.

I can't see Murray beating Novak in the final. Murray is playing better than he's played in a couple of years, but Novak is too good in Australia.
    Grape works as a soda. Sort of as a gum. I wonder why it doesn't work as a pie. Grape pie? There's no grape pie. - Larry David

I've been living on Australia time the last two weeks, love this tournament.

Madison Keys has been a lot of fun, I think she's going to be the next big thing in women's tennis. Massive serve and forehand, and seems to have a solid mental game. Serena needing 9 match points to put her away showed some grit I think.

I think Wawrinka wins again, but that might be the fan in me talking. Djokovic certainly is playing at a very high level.

As an aside, I watched more of Isner in this tournament than I have in awhile, and I'm not sure there's ever been a less exciting player to watch. His serve is one of the best ever and the rest of his game is like 4.5-5.0 NTRP. I'm exaggerating, but it's amazing.

Turn Off Ads?