Turn Off Ads?
Page 38 of 50 FirstFirst ... 2834353637383940414248 ... LastLast

Thread: Tennis Thread

Re: Tennis Thread

For Federer, I just think it's up to how hard he wants to keep going, and if he's happy to play 8-10 events a year. Agree that he's probably dropped off, but that's still a hell of a thing when we're talking about a 37 year old who won a major this year (and a couple of other titles).

He's still a huge threat in any tournament, and sometimes you get a soft path. But I think he (and Serena too, because I've been thinking about her in this respect) are threats to retire at any time now.
    “When I use a word,” Trumpty Dumpty said, in rather a scornful tone, “it means just what I choose it to mean—neither more nor less.” “The question is,” said Alice, “whether you can make words mean so many different things.” “The question is,” said Trumpty Dumpty, “which is to be master—that’s all.”

2. Turn Off Ads?

Halep lost in the first round at the US Open. That's a huge shocker.
    Grape works as a soda. Sort of as a gum. I wonder why it doesn't work as a pie. Grape pie? There's no grape pie. - Larry David

Gotta feel bad for Grigor Dmitrov having to play Wawrinka in the first round for a second straight grand slam. Those are some tough breaks.
    Grape works as a soda. Sort of as a gum. I wonder why it doesn't work as a pie. Grape pie? There's no grape pie. - Larry David

Quote Originally Posted by MWM View Post
    Halep lost in the first round at the US Open. That's a huge shocker.
    That was quick.
    "One problem with people who have no vices is that they're pretty sure to have some annoying virtues."

What in the world is Rafa wearing?
    Last edited by MWM; 08-28-2018 at 06:09 AM.

Frances Tiafoe takes out 29-seed Adrian Mannarino in 4 sets.

8. Likes:

Redsfaithful (08-28-2018)

I spent a week in New York in '75 in June where it was so hot and humid, it was worse than the most hot and humid days Hawaii can reach. It was so miserable that you would never actually go to sleep. You would lay down and sweat through a t-shirt in an hour and then change it fkr another to try to cool off. You'd walk around at 2:30 in the morning and play miniature golf until 4:00 because you couldn't sleep. Everyone was walking around like zombies at night. In the morning you'd be a little better because you had to, I guess. A lot of alcohol got consumed, as you'd just sweat it out and never get drunk.

Yet, this must be worse than that, as the men were dropping like flies on Tuesday, even with the institution of a break rule of 10 minutes after the 3rd set. How generous!

What was it? 7 retirements with 5 from the heat? Everyone was trying to hit winners because they didn't want any rallies. It was like watching a lot of Ilie Nastase's out there.
    "One problem with people who have no vices is that they're pretty sure to have some annoying virtues."

10. Likes:

M2 (08-30-2018)

Quote Originally Posted by Kingspoint View Post
    I spent a week in New York in '75 in June where it was so hot and humid, it was worse than the most hot and humid days Hawaii can reach. It was so miserable that you would never actually go to sleep. You would lay down and sweat through a t-shirt in an hour and then change it fkr another to try to cool off. You'd walk around at 2:30 in the morning and play miniature golf until 4:00 because you couldn't sleep. Everyone was walking around like zombies at night. In the morning you'd be a little better because you had to, I guess. A lot of alcohol got consumed, as you'd just sweat it out and never get drunk.

Yet, this must be worse than that, as the men were dropping like flies on Tuesday, even with the institution of a break rule of 10 minutes after the 3rd set. How generous!

What was it? 7 retirements with 5 from the heat? Everyone was trying to hit winners because they didn't want any rallies. It was like watching a lot of Ilie Nastase's out there.
    The whole northeast has been an oven the past few days. I miss the days before everyone had a/c and it was too hot to stay inside.
    Friends don't let friends fWAR.

Coddle thy pitchers.

12. Likes:

Kingspoint (08-31-2018)

Quote Originally Posted by M2 View Post
    The whole northeast has been an oven the past few days. I miss the days before everyone had a/c and it was too hot to stay inside.
    That's exactly what I was talking about. The streets were as crowded as 2:30 p.m., but it was 2:30 a.m.

14. Likes:

M2 (08-31-2018)

Serena vs Venus.

zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

John Millman knocks out Roger Federer in 4 sets. Congratulations, you get Novak Djokovic for your reward.

Quote Originally Posted by texasdave View Post
    John Millman knocks out Roger Federer in 4 sets. Congratulations, you get Novak Djokovic for your reward.
    I watched the start and it looked like Fed would win in a walk. So I changed the channel and missed it.
    Friends don't let friends fWAR.

Coddle thy pitchers.

It was a bizarre match. Fed looked like he was going to roll in a laugher. He was up 5-4 serving for the 2nd set and up 40-15 in the game. He kind of just crapped on himself the next few points, including hitting an easy overhead put-away shot into the net. It was a total choke job.

It was clear Fed wasn't feeling right and was trying to end points early to preserve energy. He was serving and volleying constantly and kept hitting these drop shots that weren't working....yet he kept hitting them and Millman kept returning them for winners. He kept coming to the net on poorly hit approach shots with Millman hitting easy passing shots. I lost count of how many routine forheand volleys he hit into the net or 3 feet long. Somewhere in the 3rd set, you could see Millman got a rush of confidence and started unloading on every shot and he wasn't missing much. I swear, that guy was like David Ferrer on steroids. He's about as scrappy as any player I've ever seen.

Even after losing the 2nd and 3rd, he broke to go up 4-3 in the 4th, then had 30-0 the next game and crapped on himself again. That may have been the game he lost on a double fault. I couldn't stay awake anymore, so that's the last game I watched. It was obvious he wasn't going to win. I've never seen Roger play a match the way he played that one. Just bizarre the tactics he was using.

One thing I'll say Federer has done on occasion throughout his career that I don't think Nadal has, is have these matches where he almost completely loses his game. It was rare in his prime, but it still happened, and it's happened more over the last 5 years. He's able to still find a way to win much of the time, but he loses matches sometimes where he looks like he's cruising and just loses it.

The 2016 Wimbledon semi against Raonic was an awful loss. His quarter final loss to Anderson this year was even worse. There's been a few more as well. I can't ever recall seeing Nadal lose his game mid-match and blow it like Fed does at times.

Fed has trouble with Millman for some reason, this wasn't the first time. I think for whatever reason it's a bad matchup for him.
    “When I use a word,” Trumpty Dumpty said, in rather a scornful tone, “it means just what I choose it to mean—neither more nor less.” “The question is,” said Alice, “whether you can make words mean so many different things.” “The question is,” said Trumpty Dumpty, “which is to be master—that’s all.”

Granted I don't watch a lot of tennis, but I swear if Rafael Nadal is pounding the ball and losing, his change of tactics is to simply hit the ball still harder.

Turn Off Ads?