Turn Off Ads?
Page 44 of 50 FirstFirst ... 34404142434445464748 ... LastLast

Thread: Tennis Thread

Re: Tennis Thread

I'm more of a casual tennis fan but looks to me like Naomi Osaka might be the real deal. Australian Open champ and a world #1 ranking (first Asian player to do so) She should have won in straight sets against Kvitová but let herself get distracted or something before she rallied and took the third set. She keeps herself focused in a match, she's going to be good for a long time. First player since Capriati to follow up a first grand slam victory with another. French is going to be interesting on the ladies side - she's had early round success there.
    If evolution is outlawed, only outlaws will evolve!

2. Turn Off Ads?

Thought we were finally going to see a good hard court match between Federer and Nadal.

I don't think it will ever happen again.
    "One problem with people who have no vices is that they're pretty sure to have some annoying virtues."

Federer really choked away that 3rd set. Thiem played well but roger had the break then blew it then was broken ugly. Not sure he’s going to have any better chances to get another masters win.
    Grape works as a soda. Sort of as a gum. I wonder why it doesn't work as a pie. Grape pie? There's no grape pie. - Larry David

I keep thinking/hoping that Venus is going to be able to rally all the way to the end for one more big tournament win, but it's looking like that's not going to happen. She looked totally gassed yesterday. But her continuing to advance in tournaments when she's almost 39 years old, and with the health issues she's had, is pretty amazing.

I think Venus gets overlooked because of the accomplishments of Serena, but she's one of the best ever and has had to overcome more than most players. She was the one that first came into the public spotlight and had to deal with all the craziness that came with them coming onto the tennis scene. Serena wound up becoming the bigger name, but in the beginning the spotlight was mostly on Venus and I think Serena probably benefited from that. Would be cool to see her win one last time.
    Grape works as a soda. Sort of as a gum. I wonder why it doesn't work as a pie. Grape pie? There's no grape pie. - Larry David

6. Likes:

Patrick Bateman (03-26-2019),Redsfaithful (03-26-2019),texasdave (03-26-2019)

Tiafoe looked as good as I've ever seen him last night against Goffin. I think he could be ready for a big breakthrough.

Quote Originally Posted by MWM View Post
    Tiafoe looked as good as I've ever seen him last night against Goffin. I think he could be ready for a big breakthrough.
    Yes, this is the year. Top 10 by end of hard court season.
    “When I use a word,” Trumpty Dumpty said, in rather a scornful tone, “it means just what I choose it to mean—neither more nor less.” “The question is,” said Alice, “whether you can make words mean so many different things.” “The question is,” said Trumpty Dumpty, “which is to be master—that’s all.”

Epic match yesterday from Wawrinka and Tsitsipas. One of the better I've watched in a while. I really like Tistsipas. I think of all the guys who have come up over the last 5 years, he's the one who looks most ready to be a consistent winner. He doesn't seem to have any big point nerves that so many of the younger guys have had.

Also, he's 20 years old and posted this on Facebook yesterday after the match. What 20 year old could write this? Impressive.

Today I felt something that I can’t really explain. Today was the first time in my entire life, in my twenty years of existence that I felt that “aura”, the real definition of the word, competition. Not any kind of competition though, it felt different than any other time, any other battle, any other moment on the tennis court.

There is something about today that I won’t be able to explain. It’s a feeling that makes me appreciate the sport that I chose to pursue in my life as a career. The bitter taste of that loss is something unexplainable.

Stan Wawrinka makes our sport real and pragmatic. It’s something that’s rare to find in the world that we are at. It’s something unique. There is loads of charm and charisma to it. We both struggled, we both went beyond our limits, we both experienced luck and our destiny was drawn on that Parisian court after five hours of physical and mental suffering.

I really don’t know if what I feel right now is positive or negative. There is no bipolar effect to it. Today I learned something that no school, no classroom, no teacher would be able to teach. It’s called, living life!

10. Likes:

Kingspoint (06-03-2019),M2 (06-03-2019),Redsfaithful (06-03-2019)

I assume Tsitsipas is still kicking himself for letting that last point sail rather than hitting a cross-court winner.
    Friends don't let friends fWAR.

Coddle thy pitchers.

Epic match yesterday from Wawrinka and Tsitsipas. One of the better I've watched in a while. I really like Tistsipas. I think of all the guys who have come up over the last 5 years, he's the one who looks most ready to be a consistent winner. He doesn't seem to have any big point nerves that so many of the younger guys have had.

Also, he's 20 years old and posted this on Facebook yesterday after the match. What 20 year old could write this? Impressive.
    Being challenged in Life, fighting through it, giving it your best is about the greatest joy you can get in Life. I put it right there with comforting someone who needs it AND deserves it and right behind finding deep, passionate Love with another human being (what most movies have always tried and mostly failed to achieve).

It will be interesting to see how he responds to this emotional milestone in his Life.
    "One problem with people who have no vices is that they're pretty sure to have some annoying virtues."

Quote Originally Posted by M2 View Post
    I assume Tsitsipas is still kicking himself for letting that last point sail rather than hitting a cross-court winner.
    It looked like it was going out, but yeah, he could have returned it. Slices will generally curve the other direction. It had some crazy movement on it.

I was rewatching the first set last night and I think one of the biggest points in the match was when Tsitsipas had set point up 6-5 in the tiebreaker. He hit a forehand down the ad side corner and came to the net and Wawrinka hit a ridiculous backhand passing shot pretty much on the run. If that first set goes the other way, chances are the match does as well. Wawrinka won the next 2 points after that and the first set.

14. Likes:

M2 (06-03-2019)

It looked like it was going out, but yeah, he could have returned it. Slices will generally curve the other direction. It had some crazy movement on it.
    It was one of those plays where a more veteran player probably trusts himself to put it away. I assume that play gets filed in Tsitsipas' permanent storage - count on yourself, not on the line. I'm looking forward to him at Wimbledon. He should be a beast there.

Coddle thy pitchers.

I wonder if Wawrinka isn't half glad he lost today and avoided the inevitable humiliation of getting pummeled by Nadal in the semi. Roger will be able to deal with that better than Stan. I have a hard time seeing him being competitive with Rafa on clay.

How awesome, though, that we get Federer vs. Nadal one last time at Roland Garros? That's got to be one of the toughest tickets in the history of tennis. I will certainly try to find a way to watch it.

18. Likes:

M2 (06-04-2019)

It's definitely cool for them to be playing in a major semi at this point in their careers. But they've played 5 times at Roland Garros and Federer has won 3 sets.

I'm trying to think of an equivalent in sports to trying to beat Nadal on clay in a 5 set match. Secretariat comes to mind, but not much else.

And 2015-2016 doesn't count. I know Djokovic beat him at Roland Garros in 2016, but Nadal's career looked pretty much over at that point. In 10 straight majors, he made it to the quarters twice, but never further than that. He wasn't Rafa. His lone loss when he was himself was 2009. Hard to see him losing this year.

Djokovic is looking at some potentially stiff competition in Zverev and Thiem.

Very excited to see Rafa and Roger again, but I can't help but notice how Roger's been given the opening match on every day he's played before the heat kicks in.

Coddle thy pitchers.

21. Likes:

Kingspoint (06-04-2019)

Turn Off Ads?