Turn Off Ads?
Page 46 of 50 FirstFirst ... 36424344454647484950 LastLast

Thread: Tennis Thread

Re: Tennis Thread

Big upset on the women's side on the first day of Wimbledon. Yulia Putintseva has beat #2 Naomi Osaka in straight sets.
    Quote Originally Posted by Raisor View Post
    I was wrong
    Quote Originally Posted by Raisor View Post
    Chip is right

2. Turn Off Ads?

Just a general note: I love Wimbledon (the venue and tournament) so very, very much. Nice little town, too.

Zverev is really becoming a headcase with his difficulties at majors.
    “When I use a word,” Trumpty Dumpty said, in rather a scornful tone, “it means just what I choose it to mean—neither more nor less.” “The question is,” said Alice, “whether you can make words mean so many different things.” “The question is,” said Trumpty Dumpty, “which is to be master—that’s all.”

Some were picking Stefanos Tsitsipas as a dark horse. Pick again. He falls in 5 sets.

6. Likes:

M2 (07-01-2019)

Quote Originally Posted by Redsfaithful View Post
    Zverev is really becoming a headcase with his difficulties at majors.
    Makes no sense at all, other than some kind of mental block.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by texasdave View Post
    Some were picking Stefanos Tsitsipas as a dark horse. Pick again. He falls in 5 sets.
    That one is even more surprising than Zverev. I wonder if there isn't some lasting effect from the French loss to Wawrinka. Probably not, but him losing in the first round is crazy.
    Grape works as a soda. Sort of as a gum. I wonder why it doesn't work as a pie. Grape pie? There's no grape pie. - Larry David

Thiem out now. That's a lot of big guns out in the first round. Although, Querrey is a tough draw in the first round. A couple of his matches from last week were on and he actually looked pretty good. Looks like he's healthy again and that serve is going to be tough on the grass.
    Grape works as a soda. Sort of as a gum. I wonder why it doesn't work as a pie. Grape pie? There's no grape pie. - Larry David

My girl Katie Swan went down in round 1. Now I've got to find someone else to support. Perhaps the 15 year-old who knocked out Venus?

Fernando Verdasco has just broken the collective heart of England. From two sets to love down to beat Kyle Edmund on Centre Court.

I like this Kudla guy. No way he's beating Novak today, but he's really competing after falling behind 5-0 in the first set. Seems to be embracing this opportunity to play on Centre Court.
    Last edited by Boston Red; 07-03-2019 at 02:07 PM.

American, Reilly Opelka, knocked out Stan Wawrinka. Opelka is listed as 6'11'', 225. He is a former Junior Wimbledon champion.

6'11" Reilly Opelka beat 6'9" John Isner at the Australian Open.
    Last edited by texasdave; 07-03-2019 at 02:17 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by texasdave View Post
    American, Reilly Opelka, knocked out Stan Wawrinka. Opelka is listed as 6'11'', 225. He is a former Junior Wimbledon champion.

6'11" Reilly Opelka beat 6'9" John Isner at the Australian Open.
    And he plays Raonic next. Bombs away.
    Friends don't let friends fWAR.

Coddle thy pitchers.

With Madison Keys going down, it appears the 15 year old phenom Gauff has an excellent shot at making the Round of 16.

I have a Reilly Opelka story. My wife and I were in Paris the week of qualifying for 2017 Roland Garros. We watched one of his matches late in the week on a court where there couldn’t have been more than 200 people watching and we were in the front row right by one of the service lines. So we were within about 15 feet of Opelka regularly.

He would have full on conversations with himself about how awful he is at tennis. It was bizarre. I’ve never heard negative self talk like this. And it wasn’t noisy at all so we could hear every word he was saying almost like he was talking to us. I thought the guy was crazy. I’m guessing he’s gotten some help with that because he’s finally starting to look like he could have a career in tennis.

15. Likes:

M2 (07-04-2019),Redsfaithful (07-04-2019)

Some wins are more satisfying than others.
    "One problem with people who have no vices is that they're pretty sure to have some annoying virtues."

Rafa gave Kyrgios a lesson on how to be a professional today. You can’t rattle Rafa.

Kyrgios may be the biggest waste of talent in the sport’s history. There’s still some time for him to figure it out, but not much.

18. Likes:

Kingspoint (07-04-2019)

Kyrgios just turned 24, and isn't exactly flaming out of the sport.

I'd rather watch Krygios over Rafa any day, and I don't even dislike Rafa. Man, save me from watching "professionalism" in sports, gag.
    “When I use a word,” Trumpty Dumpty said, in rather a scornful tone, “it means just what I choose it to mean—neither more nor less.” “The question is,” said Alice, “whether you can make words mean so many different things.” “The question is,” said Trumpty Dumpty, “which is to be master—that’s all.”

20. Likes:

Fil3232 (07-04-2019)

Turn Off Ads?