Turn Off Ads?
Page 53 of 70 FirstFirst ... 34349505152535455565763 ... LastLast

Thread: Tennis Thread

Re: Tennis Thread

Congrats on #19.
    "One problem with people who have no vices is that they're pretty sure to have some annoying virtues."

2. Turn Off Ads?

I feel like every year after the U.S. Open, the McEnroes get asked if the new generation is ready to take over and they say maybe next year. One of these years they'll be right, but I'm not sure 2020 is going to be that year.
    I'm not a system player. I am a system.

Epic match. You gotta give Medvedev credit for not folding like most players would have. He has some real talent and is a tough guy to dispose of in points, games, and sets. Rafa had more gas in the tank in the 5th, or the result may have been different. He's probably going to win a few of these real soon.

I'm glad Medvedev didn't win, but he redeemed himself a little in his post-match comments. I honestly didn't care much about his interactions with the NY fans. But for the love of god, don't be mean to the ball people. They're volunteers and they do a great job in every tournament. At least it wasn't a kid, which doesn't seem to matter to a couple of players. Just leave the people who are there voluntarily from their normal lives alone. I used to love watching David Ferrer play, but he was notoriously awful to the people working the tournaments, even the kids. Just no excuse for that.
    Last edited by MWM; 09-09-2019 at 02:00 PM.
    Grape works as a soda. Sort of as a gum. I wonder why it doesn't work as a pie. Grape pie? There's no grape pie. - Larry David

5. Likes:

M2 (09-09-2019)

Quote Originally Posted by M2 View Post
    I feel like every year after the U.S. Open, the McEnroes get asked if the new generation is ready to take over and they say maybe next year. One of these years they'll be right, but I'm not sure 2020 is going to be that year.
    It might be down to a big 2 now, though. I'm afraid this year was probably Federer's last real hurrah.

Quote Originally Posted by Boston Red View Post
    It might be down to a big 2 now, though. I'm afraid this year was probably Federer's last real hurrah.
    I'll believe he's dead when I see his dead body interred in the ground. He almost won Wimbledon this year.

Does anyone care about the Laver Cup at all? In theory, it's a pretty good idea. But when I like at one side and see Federer, Nadal, Thiem, Zverev, and Tsitsipas and the best player on the other side is John Isner or Nick Kyrgios, I'm not sure why it's a compelling competition. Tennis is not like Golf in that there's very little that separates the top players.

It was really cool to see Fed and Nadal play doubles together 2 years ago, but other than that, I've not had much interest in watching.
    Grape works as a soda. Sort of as a gum. I wonder why it doesn't work as a pie. Grape pie? There's no grape pie. - Larry David

Quote Originally Posted by MWM View Post
    Does anyone care about the Laver Cup at all? In theory, it's a pretty good idea. But when I like at one side and see Federer, Nadal, Thiem, Zverev, and Tsitsipas and the best player on the other side is John Isner or Nick Kyrgios, I'm not sure why it's a compelling competition. Tennis is not like Golf in that there's very little that separates the top players.

It was really cool to see Fed and Nadal play doubles together 2 years ago, but other than that, I've not had much interest in watching.
    That's like the Warriors playing against a local high school.
    "One problem with people who have no vices is that they're pretty sure to have some annoying virtues."

Coco Gauff is the now the youngest player in 15 years to make a final, and she did so by beating 2 top 10 players. Sky is the limit for her. I'm a big fan.

11. Likes:

Redsfaithful (10-14-2019)

Gauff won the tournament. Here's a little side note: She failed to qualify for the tournament, but got in when another player suffered an injury. And then she ends up winning it all.

13. Likes:

M2 (10-13-2019)

Congratulations to Rafa for once again becoming the oldest player to be World's #1 at the end of a season.

His latest triumph:

https://ca.reuters.com/article/sport...BN1XU05B-OCASP

All right, who are people picking for the Aussie title? Rafa/Djoker/Fed or the field?

Djokovic, though I hope Nadal wins.

Really going out on a limb here, I know.
    Last edited by Kingspoint; 01-23-2020 at 08:49 AM.

Novak/Serena

Second choices Fed/Osaka

Mostly chalk picks I know, but feels like Australia usually is. Other than Wawrinka (and that wasn't a massive surprise) I don't think there's been a surprising men's winner there since 2002.
    Turning and turning in the widening gyre
    The falcon cannot hear the falconer;

If Nadal takes the title, he ties Federer for most Grand Slam wins at 20. If Djokovic wins, he moves a step closer at 17. Of the last 59 GS titles, Federer (16), Nadal (19) and Djokovic (16) have combined for 51 of them. The others belong to Andy Murray (3), Stan Wawrinka (3), Marin Cilic (1) and Juan Martin del Potro (1).

Roger is 38.
    Rafa is 33.
    Djoker is 32.

Federer, for as great as he has been, may well end up third on the all-time list. Astonishing.

19. Likes:

M2 (01-23-2020)

Quote Originally Posted by texasdave View Post
    If Nadal takes the title, he ties Federer for most Grand Slam wins at 20. If Djokovic wins, he moves a step closer at 17. Of the last 59 GS titles, Federer (16), Nadal (19) and Djokovic (16) have combined for 51 of them. The others belong to Andy Murray (3), Stan Wawrinka (3), Marin Cilic (1) and Juan Martin del Potro (1).

Roger is 38.
    Rafa is 33.
    Djoker is 32.

Federer, for as great as he has been, may well end up third on the all-time list. Astonishing.
    If Rafa wins, he also joins Rod Laver as the only player with two of each. On the women's side, Serena could tie Margaret Court for the most slams of all time.

21. Likes:

texasdave (01-23-2020)

Turn Off Ads?