Turn Off Ads?

Thread: Parakeet advice

Parakeet advice

I have had a pair of parakeets for about 6 or 7 years. Recently, I decided that I wanted to have more parakeets. A new cage that is about three times as big as the old one was purchased. I thought it might be best to put my two parakeets into the new cage for a short time to let them get used to it. And then buy two more parakeets and introduce them. So the switch was made on Tuesday. Herein lies the problem. They were not eating or drinking out of the new food and water containers. I still had the old cage so I put the old food and water containers into the new cage. But there was no way to stabilize them in the new cage. So, when the parakeets went to use them, they knocked them over and the food and water spilled out.

My question is this: the birds would eventually start using the new food and water containers, right? They wouldn't starve themselves to death, would they?
    I honestly did not anticpate any sort of problem switching the birds from one cage to another. Is there some sort of trick that I am missing. The old cage would actually easily fit inside the new cage. Should I try doing that?

Has anyone had any experience with this? I need help. I don't want to lose my two birds. And, if push comes to shove, I will just scratch the idea and go back to the way things were.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Parakeet advice

I am guessing we have no parakeet experts among us, Dave. I had a parakeet in college but that was 35 years ago. How have things turned out with the new cage?
    "I am your child from the future. I'm sorry I didn't tell you this earlier." - Dylan Easton

We have had parakeets in the past but never experienced a problem like this. Whe we changed cages it didn't seem to bother them a bit. You may want to find a vet who specializes in birds and ask them for advice.
    Reds Fan Since 1971

Haven't read the op, but might I suggest slow-cooked on a rotisserie?

Sorry if I have offended Budgie People. Reminds me of a true story of a couple who kept parrots, and who only realized they were getting old when their birds started making grunting noises when they went from a sitting to a standing position.
    It is on the whole probable that we continually dream, but that consciousness makes such a noise that we do not hear it. Carl Jung.

Got a PM from RedRead (I hope I spelled that correctly) offering some advice. Basically, the birds just eventually got used to their new surroundings. And all is well in parakeet-land. Thanks.

Turn Off Ads?