Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Lack of premier talent in MLB

Lack of premier talent in MLB

Every game i watch seems to be 3-0 linescores. I see a lot of grinders and not much premier talent anymore. Frankly I can't remember seeing so many teams with literally zero exciting offensive players. I havemt researched, but it seems like offense is way down. Is this because pitching is so much better than before? Has the cutter and change up been that important? Is this just post steroid performance levels we should expect?

I tend to think there just isn't anywhere near the last level of talent in the league. The best athletes in America are mainly going the NBA/NFL route. I see guys like Trout, McCutchen, and Puig starring and they all are young. Maybe other kids will notice this and see that possibility within baseball.
    This is the time. The real Reds organization is back.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Lack of premier talent in MLB

Almost the entire Braves lineup is OPSing over .800.
    Attended 1976 World Series in my Mother's Womb. Attended 1990 World Series Game 2 as a 13 year old. Want to take my son to a a World Series Game in Cincinnati in my lifetime.

Pitching is better. Defense is better. Makes a big difference.

Guys are throwing harder than ever. Homer Bailey throws a slider at 90 MPH. 25 years ago that was an above-average fastball velocity.

5. Likes:

*BaseClogger* (08-15-2013), Always Red (08-15-2013), alwaysawarrior (08-15-2013), AtomicDumpling (08-16-2013), RANDY IN INDY (08-15-2013), Tommyjohn25 (08-15-2013)

Quote Originally Posted by dougdirt View Post

Guys are throwing harder than ever. Homer Bailey throws a slider at 90 MPH. 25 years ago that was an above-average fastball velocity.
    Steroids are under attack! Positioning on defense is much better, thru the use of stats. I think that plays a huge part. I see so many athletic plays, every night. They make it look easy, and it really isn't.
    Last edited by RANDY IN INDY; 08-15-2013 at 01:14 PM.
    Talent is God Given: be humble.
    Fame is man given: be thankful.
    Conceit is self given: be careful.

John Wooden

7. Likes:

*BaseClogger* (08-15-2013), dougdirt (08-15-2013)

The game changes and what one expects from the game tends to not change as fast. The game is full of amazing talent, look at this:

http://hardballtalk.nbcsports.com/20...young/related/

9. Likes:

reds1869 (08-15-2013), redsmetz (08-15-2013)

Positioning is better, Pitch F/X can nail a hitters liabilities like never before making scouting much more accurate, pitching is better - not at the premiere star level but guys that are 11th and 12th guys on staffs are throwing 94-95, around the field defenders are bigger, quicker and more talented than ever before. There have always been super glovemen like Roy McMillan or Tris Speaker to name a couple older wizards but today guys are considered liabilities defensively that would have been more than adequate a score of years ago. Guys who can't field well but can hit are often platooned or languish in AAA. I think there are more amazing offensive players than ever - but pitching and defense have gotten quite a bit better as concerns the average player.

It will be interesting to see if this makes a marked difference in the trade and FA market.
    Are impact hitters going to be percieved as rare as good pitching used to be?

The change has not happened yet on a big scale, but I wonder if it will.
    As an example, this season Cleveland invested quite a bit in revamping position players, and it paid dividends. They might not make the playoffs, but it improved the team.
    You see Oakland give quite a bit of money to Coco Crisp and Cespedes as part of their long term strategy, while recently trading off pitching.
    Thank you Walt and Bob for going for it in 2010-2014!

Nov. 13, 2007: One of the greatest days in Reds history: John Allen gets the boot!

Unsolicited Opinions traderumor's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Cedric View Post
    Every game i watch seems to be 3-0 linescores. I see a lot of grinders and not much premier talent anymore. Frankly I can't remember seeing so many teams with literally zero exciting offensive players. I havemt researched, but it seems like offense is way down. Is this because pitching is so much better than before? Has the cutter and change up been that important? Is this just post steroid performance levels we should expect?

I tend to think there just isn't anywhere near the last level of talent in the league. The best athletes in America are mainly going the NBA/NFL route. I see guys like Trout, McCutchen, and Puig starring and they all are young. Maybe other kids will notice this and see that possibility within baseball.
    The "premier talent" is all over the place---on the mound. Its the cycle of MLB, we have went from a hitting era, where "premier talent" had a dubious genesis, and now has tilted to the pitching side, and I think that technology and "new" pitches and increased velocity league wide are most of what has given pitching the current advantage. Power hitting ruling has shifted to power pitching ruling. Except I think the pitching advantage has generally been obtained within the rules, both to the letter and the spirit of the rules.
    Can't win with 'em

Can't win without 'em

13. Likes:

Tom Servo (08-15-2013)

IMHO, I think there are five main reasons for the offensive downgrade.

1. PEDS. Yes, hitters aren't able to get away with as much as they were 10 years ago. It does matter; not just in strength (power) but in durability and being 'sharp' on a daily basis rather than having 0-for-4's more often because of fatigue.

2. Pitchers are better. More guys throwing higher velocity these days.

3. Better scouting through software analysis

4. Bigger strike zone, or rather, the rule book strike zone being enforced. I mentioned this in another thread, but 10 years ago, the "high strike" was non-existent. However, because of the computer systems put into place since 2006, umpires now have their strike zones graded and it's caused them to call their zones more 'by the book.' I think the increased zones, at least comparatively speaking, has correlated somewhat with the number of strikeouts.

5. I also think the "work the count" approach has contributed. More guys are watching strikes go by early in the count and it's putting a lot more mediocre hitters in 2-strike situations that, frankly, are not good enough to consistently get hits.
    "No matter how good you are, you're going to lose one-third of your games. No matter how bad you are you're going to win one-third of your games. It's the other third that makes the difference." ~Tommy Lasorda

15. Likes:

Cedric (08-15-2013), REDREAD (08-15-2013)

Quote Originally Posted by dougdirt View Post

Sure, but it seems like the superior athletic players like Trout, McCutchen, Cabrera, and Puig are destroying pitching.

I just don't see the spread of those types of players. My theory was MLB has basically lost a large source of their premier talent by losing the black athlete. I think it's apart along with the defense shifts and pitching improvement.

Sure, but it seems like the superior athletic players like Trout, McCutchen, Cabrera, and Puig are destroying pitching.

I just don't see the spread of those types of players. My theory was MLB has basically lost a large source of their premier talent by losing the black athlete. I think it's apart along with the defense shifts and pitching improvement.
    That happened a long time ago, however.

Quote Originally Posted by Norm Chortleton View Post
    That happened a long time ago, however.
    I think steroids hid the problem. That's if you even consider this a problem.

What are you measuring this theory with?

Because without some sort of baseline of what is "premier" is this just becomes barroom talk or even worse a Bleacherreport article.

You ever watch Don Wert bat?

Or stomach the 1977 Padres?

How fun was that 1979 A's team?

Stat Wanker Hodiernus RedsManRick's Avatar

It's a zero-sum game; maybe the balance of talent has simply swung to pitching.
    Games are won on run differential -- scoring more than your opponent. Runs are runs, scored or prevented they all count the same. Worry about scoring more and allowing fewer, not which positions contribute to which side of the equation or how "consistent" you are at your current level of performance.

21. Likes:

mdccclxix (08-15-2013)

Start the Reactor! *BaseClogger*'s Avatar

"Black" players or African-Americans?
    "On-base percentage is great if you can score runs and do something with that on-base percentage," Baker said. "Clogging up the bases isn't that great to me."

Turn Off Ads?