Turn Off Ads?

Thread: Computer Guide

Computer Guide

Hey I've been babying the old one just trying to get it to last. But I need to go ahead and be thinking about replacing it. My family has had great luck with Dell's, not so much with Gateways. Thought I'd distract the board with another thread. Any suggestions on what to look at? I don't have a certain price range but at the same time I'm not spending 1000 bucks on a gaming computer that I don't intend to use.
    Quote Originally Posted by teamselig
    The pessimist complains about the wind; the optimist expects it to change, the realist adjusts the sails.

William Arthur Ward

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Computer Guide

Notebook or Desktop...either way you can find very good computers for very cheap these days, especially if you don't go with a bigger name like Dell. I've had very good luck with my Lenovo laptop which performs very well for all the basic stuff I need it to do and it was less than $400.

And this is a pretty good place for finding stuff on sale.

Sprinkles are for winners dougdirt's Avatar

I didn't know that Gateway made computers this millennium....

Never had a problem with a Dell. Currently using a Toshiba that has been fantastic for me and I use this thing often and am rather intensive with my usage.

My realistic answer though: If you aren't using it for anything that is graphic intensive, spending $500+ on just about anything is going to get you everything that you need from a computer.

I'm in my fourth year with an HP Presario that was less than $400 at the time. It's been no trouble at all.I think you can get a nice HP laptop for under $600 even now.

Quote Originally Posted by Slyder View Post
    Hey I've been babying the old one just trying to get it to last. But I need to go ahead and be thinking about replacing it. My family has had great luck with Dell's, not so much with Gateways. Thought I'd distract the board with another thread. Any suggestions on what to look at? I don't have a certain price range but at the same time I'm not spending 1000 bucks on a gaming computer that I don't intend to use.
    We've had great luck using the Dell Outlet. They frequently issue coupons of up to 25% off. Last two laptop purchases have come from there with no complaints.
    How do we know he's not Mel Torme?

If you're just looking for everyday computing go with Dell. If you check out their coupon page on their website you can usually work something together to get a very good deal.

Whether you go laptop or desktop, get a 3rd or 4th gen intel i3 or i5. They're in most budget PCs now and very affordable. You don't need to get an i7 or anything, but you want to have a decent processor that will hold up so you can make your PC last a while. For desktops the Inspiron 660s are very affordable, the XPS line is a little step up but I'm not sure what all you'd be using it for.

For laptops I'd still go with Dell as well, but since it's really hard to upgrade laptops except for their memory, be sure you're getting what you want.

Just a quick glance at Dell's website and I see the XPS 8700 for 599 with a coupon, and the Inspiron 660 for 499 on sale. For the hardware you're getting, especially in that XPS, that's not a bad deal at all. Decent laptop deals there as well, so depending on what you want, and your budget, I'd definitely start there.

Oh and one more thing I'll add, if you order a Dell over the phone you can haggle with the sales rep. If you let them know that whatever you're wanting went over your budget a little you can almost always get more discounts thrown at you.

I love my Samsung Series7. I'd always been a Mac user but have enjoyed my new computer, especially the touchscreen.

Albeit somewhat expensive, I'd recommend the Macbook Pro. Great and reliable product and top notch customer service.

Sprinkles are for winners dougdirt's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by JB12 View Post
    Albeit somewhat expensive, I'd recommend the Macbook Pro. Great and reliable product and top notch customer service.
    Booooooo!

(Have been recommending them to all of my friends so when something goes wrong, they no longer come to me to fix their computers and instead go wait for hours in Kenwood)

Quote Originally Posted by dougdirt View Post
    I didn't know that Gateway made computers this millennium....

Never had a problem with a Dell. Currently using a Toshiba that has been fantastic for me and I use this thing often and am rather intensive with my usage.

My realistic answer though: If you aren't using it for anything that is graphic intensive, spending $500+ on just about anything is going to get you everything that you need from a computer.
    My sister just got a Gateway computer. I didn't know they were still around either.
    Dell is the best. That's all I have had at home. Very good and reliable. Their support is very good too.
    Reds Fan Since 1971

I'm sure OP already found a computer, but I thought I'd post a few coupon codes I received in the mail in case anyone is looking for a Dell. These are valid in the Dell Outlet. Unfortunately, they're only good through tomorrow:

J48BBR1G5T0TM2 30% off any laptop, desktop, or tablet >$1,000;
    2QJ56N4HZV19F$ 25% off any laptop, desktop, or tablet up to $500-999;
    PCCJ$7$5G$4K28 20% off any laptop, desktop, or tablet $499 and under; and,
    34$JBXXHJ?9XCP off any refurbished monitor.
    How do we know he's not Mel Torme?

Turn Off Ads?