Turn Off Ads?
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Why Is Dusty At the Park Already?

Re: Why Is Dusty At the Park Already?

Quote Originally Posted by Matt700wlw View Post
    For 6 months out of the year, this is his life. His ONLY life.
    I don't think that's true. Baker has always struck me as a very well rounded individual. For one thing, he is a serious musicologist- has an encyclopedic knowledge of Van Morrison lyrics.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Quote Originally Posted by Edskin View Post
    OK, random, light thread alert.....

The lineup for the game tonight at Miller Park was just posted on FB. This happens every game. And every time I think to myself: "Does Dusty not realize the game doesn't start for five hours?"

I am making an assumption he is doing this from the park. Perhaps I have that wrong. But if I'm right, what in the world does he do for 5/6 hours at the park before every game? I can understand a football team getting there early because it is 1 of 16 an there is a more complicated warm-up/uniform situation. But doing that 162 times a year seems a little silly to me.

If I was a member of an MLB team I'd think two hours prior to gametime would be reasonable enough time to get ready.
    Most players get there around 11-12 for a 7 o'clock game.

I mean, playing, managing or GMing at baseball is hard. Everyone gets that right? Because between this and the thread about Jocketty being lazy for not calling up the pitcher with the lowest ERA, I'm starting to think that some people think that running a major league baseball team worth hundreds of millions of dollars that is required to compete against that best players on earth is as easy as posting on a message board or playing fantasy baseball. It isn't--and it requires a lot of work.

And I say this as someone who has always been very critical of Baker and Jocketty.

(Not aiming this at the OP--I get that this thread was humorous.)

Quote Originally Posted by Edskin View Post
    I'd be there early too, but let's be honest, it is completely unnecessary

I watched our bullpen guys go through warm-ups in Texas...they were burning about as many calories "warming up" as I was watching them.
    The bullpen guys could probably get there at gametime, and it would make no difference. They could get their running in on a treadmill at home, and once or twice a week they might need to come in for some extra throwing. Other than that, they really have no reason for being there as early as the other guys. Some of the starting pitchers could probably run, take BP and go back to the hotel and it wouldn't really matter. I'm convinced that college pitchers run so much at practice because the coaches don't really have anything else for them to do. They can only throw so many pitches.

Worth The Wait

Quote Originally Posted by Boston Red View Post
    The bullpen guys could probably get there at gametime, and it would make no difference. They could get their running in on a treadmill at home, and once or twice a week they might need to come in for some extra throwing. Other than that, they really have no reason for being there as early as the other guys. Some of the starting pitchers could probably run, take BP and go back to the hotel and it wouldn't really matter. I'm convinced that college pitchers run so much at practice because the coaches don't really have anything else for them to do. They can only throw so many pitches.
    Exactly. Let's face it, baseball is very hard. And to be great you have to put in massive hours and dedication. But there is also a LOT of standing around. Like I said, if I was a MLB player or manager I think I'd soak it up as much as possible and I'd get there early too....But I'd admittedly be doing it mostly to jack around and have fun with the guys.

It just makes me laugh to see those lineups posted so early everyday... I picture Dusty in full uni with his lineup card sitting in the dugout with the lights out....

Turn Off Ads?