Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Why Is Dusty At the Park Already?

Worth The Wait

Why Is Dusty At the Park Already?

OK, random, light thread alert.....

The lineup for the game tonight at Miller Park was just posted on FB. This happens every game. And every time I think to myself: "Does Dusty not realize the game doesn't start for five hours?"

I am making an assumption he is doing this from the park. Perhaps I have that wrong. But if I'm right, what in the world does he do for 5/6 hours at the park before every game? I can understand a football team getting there early because it is 1 of 16 an there is a more complicated warm-up/uniform situation. But doing that 162 times a year seems a little silly to me.

If I was a member of an MLB team I'd think two hours prior to gametime would be reasonable enough time to get ready.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Why Is Dusty At the Park Already?

He's probably doing things like going over scouting reports, meeting with his coaches, deciding his bullpen usage for the game, meeting with the training staff, etc.
    ...the 2-2 to Woodsen and here it comes...and it is swung on and missed! And Tom Browning has pitched a perfect game! Twenty-seven outs in a row, and he is being mobbed by his teammates, just to the thirdbase side of the mound.

4. Likes:

Big Klu (08-15-2013)

Quote Originally Posted by Edskin View Post
    If I was a member of an MLB team I'd think two hours prior to gametime would be reasonable enough time to get ready.
    For a 7:00 game, home BP would start at 3:00 or 3:30. If visitors want extra BP, they can usually come in earlier than that and hit. 2 hours? No.

6. Likes:

dabvu2498 (08-15-2013)

Quote Originally Posted by Boston Red View Post
    For a 7:00 game, home BP would start at 3:00 or 3:30. If visitors want extra BP, they can usually come in earlier than that and hit. 2 hours? No.
    You also have extra fielding practice, pitchers throwing between starts, bullpen sessions, simulated games, conditioning, pregame meals, etc. Baseball is time-consuming.

8. Likes:

Big Klu (08-15-2013),dougdirt (08-15-2013),dubc47834 (08-15-2013),Larkin Fan (08-15-2013)

I think I was off by an hour, though. Maybe 4:15 for "official" start of BP on the 7:00 games. But some guys are certainly out earlier.

I'm guessing Dusty's at the park much earlier thanmost realize. It wouldn't surprise me in the least that he was there at 2:00, especially for a road game. What is he going to do, hang out in the hotel? No wake up, maybe work out, grab lunch, head to the ball park to take care of all the little things we don't think about.

11. Likes:

Big Klu (08-15-2013)

I see what's going on here......"Dusty, no need for you to come in so early. Take some time for yourself. The BRM is well-oiled and runs itself. In fact, take a day off. Or a week. Or the rest of the year."

You'd be shocked to see what time certain players get to the park.....I was reading once that wade Boggs used to get to the park at noon and start his scouting report, take a nap, take some grounder and BP, take a nap, eat some diner then play ball.

Wasn't it Sean Casey or Hal Morris who used to have an apartment within walking distance of the stadium and they would get to the ball park soon as they woke up....they would beat the scouting employees there....you know the guys who print out reports for the players and make videos for the players to watch....I can't remember if it was Hal or Sean but I remember old leather pants talking about it.....I also have heard stories about Griffey junior getting to the park before anyone....he made it a point to be the first player to the park....not sure how long he kept that up but I remember Marty used to talk about it when we first signed ken....

Also, Edgar Martinez used to do the same thing....try to be the first player at the park every day.....there is a reason these guys who show up early usually do well. They demand excellence from themselves and it usually results in better stats. There is quite a bit of information on scouting your opponent these days so if you just put the time in then you more than likely will win the battle against be if your putting in more time off the field than he is.

Baseball really isn't the high pay for very little time and effort sport that some think it is...

15. Likes:

Crumbley (08-15-2013),Number_Fourteen (08-16-2013),westofyou (08-15-2013)

Quote Originally Posted by Larkin Fan View Post
    Baseball really isn't the high pay for very little time and effort sport that some think it is...
    Well it's HIGH pay for a lot of time and effort. Still paid more per hour than anyone I know.

Gotta beat traffic.
    “I don’t care,” Votto said of passing his friend and former teammate. “He’s in the past. Bye-bye, Jay.”

Quote Originally Posted by Larkin Fan View Post
    On the other hand, these guys DO spend a lot of time sitting or standing around doing basically nothing during their long hours at the park.

They are in Milwaukee. What else would they do there?

http://instantrimshot.com/classic/?sound=rimshot

20. Likes:

Raisor (08-15-2013),remdog (08-15-2013)

Roberto Alomar LIVED in the Sky Dome in Toronto.

22. Likes:

toledodan (08-15-2013)

Adam Dunn rolled out of bed and got to the park about 6:45pm
    1st pick of the 2023 baseball amateur draft

24. Likes:

kbrake (08-15-2013)

Turn Off Ads?