Turn Off Ads?
Page 31 of 33 FirstFirst ... 2127282930313233 LastLast

Thread: Reds @ Milwaukee (Algonquin for 'The good land') - 8/16/2013

Re: Reds @ Milwaukee (Algonquin for 'The good land') - 8/16/2013

This is the 3rd time Chapman has blown a save without getting an out and I think Leake was the starter in all 3 (didn't cost him a win tonight)

Chapman was not sharp, but either was Leake, Simon, Votto, Cozart, Phillips and Choo.

Didn't play good enough to win.

Using Chappy tonight puts him out of commission tomorrow. Surprised he was used tonight.

2. Likes:

DocRed (08-16-2013),Kiko (08-17-2013)

3. Turn Off Ads?

Quote Originally Posted by _Sir_Charles_ View Post
    Fair point (and one I've noticed all season long). But I think if Keith Hernandez was playing 1st there, Segura still beats the throw.
    Yeah, but he's 59 years old and smokes.

NAH I blame the Reds announcer who had to point out their bad 1 run game record on the road.. he always jinks them when he does that.....GRRR

Flash the leather! _Sir_Charles_'s Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Norm Chortleton View Post
    Yeah, but he's 59 years old and smokes.

And still probably stretches for balls better than Joey this year. Wide throws, high throws, short hops...doesn't matter. All year long Joey's been short-arming them. But as I said, Segura beat this one regardless. Hernandez would've tripped him. *grin*

Either trade him or start him.

8. Likes:

DocRed (08-16-2013),The Operator (08-16-2013)

Oh snap!
    /Biz Markie

Quote Originally Posted by The Operator View Post
    Only 7 closers (and not all of those are even full-time closers from what I can tell) in all of baseball have more blown saves than Chapman.

Why does Dusty and the media, etc. act like he's such an untouchable hammer out there? He's unbelievably pedestrian.
    But he throws 100 mph which seems to be the thing everyone likes. Truth is, that's not the only thing a closer should do. That said, Chappy is a raw talent that the Reds have pretty much not developed to his full potential. There was no reason why he was in the game tonight except Dusty says "it's his job," which is right but he is a guy who can't pitch everyday. It was a tough loss and I'm happy I'll be incommunicado for the next couple of days. Regardless of how the W-L record and run diferential looks, we've blown so many this year that we should have won. I'm tired of it.
    www.ris-news.com
    "You only have to bat a thousand in two things; flying and heart transplants. Everything else you can go 4-for-5."
    -Beano Cook

Quote Originally Posted by New York Red View Post
    That's not the point. Joey is my favorite Red, but I was better at "stretching" as a first basemen in high school than Joey is now. An MLB stretch would have made the difference in that play.
    Exactly right his stretch is awful. And he tried to back hand it, what the H for?

Quote Originally Posted by DocRed View Post
    His numbers show he is an average to slightly below average closer this year.
    Yes by his numbers. But like I said, if used properly he's as dominate as it can get. Which is consistant work weather were streaking or not and not over used as well

Good closers should be to go 5 out of 6 days. The problem with Chapman is that they've treated him with kid gloves, and he's never developed the endurance to be a top motch closer. And I doubt he ever will. I don't care how amazing your stuff is, to be a closer, you have to be a horse. Chapman's a baby chick.
    Hoping to change my username to 75769024

Quote Originally Posted by Falcon7 View Post
    Exactly right his stretch is awful. And he tried to back hand it, what the H for?
    he does not have a true stretch...he gets down on a knee and tries to short-hop the ball instead of stretching to catch the ball on the fly.
    1st pick of the 2023 baseball amateur draft

15. Likes:

Falcon7 (08-17-2013)

I've said this before, the main reason to have a top closer is the playoffs. Over a full season, even the best only save around 85-90%. You want a guy in the playoffs who you have confidence will be 100%. Not sure Chapman is that guy yet.
    Hoping to change my username to 75769024

Chapman...

Save % 19th/30
    ERA 19th/30
    WHIP 18th/30

You'd probably get the same results from Cingrani as you do Chapman as a closer, both are still somewhat raw and need another pitch. Not sure what they do about that in the off-season.

Quote Originally Posted by LexRedsFan View Post
    Why? It was pretty much universally thought in here he wouldn't be used. 5 times in 6 days is a lot, and I know he threw a lot of pitches on Sunday. Can't remember the rest. I guess I just don't get the reasoning of "having" to use him.
    I guess I was kind of speaking in a Dusty perspective as in Chapman is the closer and im not going to upset him and not use him in this save situation and disrespect him. He is our hammer and paid all the money blah blah. I personally would have kept Hoover out there but I didn't expect him to stay in.

I will say comparing Chapman to Cordero is a little too much though. Cordero was a lot more hittable than Chapman is. Granted the small sample size, Chapman improved his walk rate and K rate from his first full season to second year by a lot. His HR/9 is double what it is this year from his first two and is why his ERA is so bad this year. I still think he has some pretty good room to improve too. I guess the main problem is all the money he is paid and the fact we are so fortunate right now to hopefully have someone like Hoover to replace him. I would much much rather have Chapman than Cordero though.
    Cincinnati Reds
    VOTTO

Turn Off Ads?