Turn Off Ads?
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Sunday September 8th now a night game

Re: Sunday September 8th now a night game

Quote Originally Posted by bigredmechanism View Post
    It's the best sport played after October.
    Hockey disagrees.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Reds/Dodgers will have more importance

Quote Originally Posted by remdog View Post
    One thing not to forget in all this is that ESPN will probably capture a large share of the L.A. market. L.A. doesn't have a football team so they have no stake in this game (except for Cowboys and Giants fans) but the baseball game could have an impact on the Dodgers winning the division.

Rem
    The way they are playing they may clinch the division that night!

Worth The Wait

Quote Originally Posted by Ironman92 View Post
    Reds/Dodgers will have more importance
    That would seem to be a factual error. Regardless of what you prefer, I'm not sure how you can argue that 1/162 has more importance than 1/16 especially when you factor in the football game is a divisional game. And it looks like Sept may not hold any real significance for the Dodgers. We will see about the Reds.

Worth The Wait

TV numbers will be interesting. We all know the NFL game is going to destroy the MLB game nationally-- heck, they could televise the NFL game walk-through vs a MLB playoff game and it might win.

But my curiosity will be to see how does in LA and Cincy--- those are the only two markets where the baseball games stands a chance. I'll predict that the NFL game still wins in Los Angeles, and I'll say the Reds games edges out the NFL game in Cincy--- which will mean Cincy is the only market in the country where more people are watching baseball than football.

NFL game on Sunday night is between the Cowboys and Giants. I will check periodically for fantasy purposes, but hopefully my eyes will be glued to seeing the Reds move up a spot (or two!) in the standings.

Bailey is pitching that night, hopefully he brings the stuff he had in his last start against the Cards. And hopefully the offense brings the stuff we had against the Cards' ace (Wainwright) for the Dodgers' ace (Kershaw). We added .56 to Wainwrights' ERA, I think Kershaw's needs a little boost.
    2015 Attendance 2-1 (4/6, 4/7,4/24)
    2014 Attendance 1-3 (3/31, 4/12, 8/14)
    2013 Attendance: 6-0 (4/3, 4/16, 4/17, 8/3, 8/21, 9/7)

8. Likes:

HeatherC1212 (09-06-2013)

Quote Originally Posted by Edskin View Post
    That would seem to be a factual error. Regardless of what you prefer, I'm not sure how you can argue that 1/162 has more importance than 1/16 especially when you factor in the football game is a divisional game. And it looks like Sept may not hold any real significance for the Dodgers. We will see about the Reds.
    Thanks for the math lesson....we'll see in about 3-4 months I guess.

Football officially starts when baseball ends and not before.
    Everything that can be counted does not necessarily count; everything that counts cannot necessarily be counted.

All the dishes rattle in the cupboards when the elephants arrive

11. Likes:

Big Klu (09-12-2013),Bob Borkowski (09-06-2013),Chip R (09-06-2013),cumberlandreds (09-06-2013),KittyDuran (09-06-2013),mdccclxix (09-06-2013),remdog (09-06-2013),Tom Servo (09-06-2013)

Worth The Wait

Thanks for the math lesson....we'll see in about 3-4 months I guess.
    I don't think there is anything to see about. The game has importance or the Reds, but really means nothing for the Dodgers. And either way it is 1/162. The Jets/Bucs game on Sunday means more than the baseball game. True it is doubtful that either of those teams does anything, but on Sunday with everyone at 0-0, it is a more important game.

Again, not trying at all to argue preference here. Just struck me that yoù comment was not factually correct.

Worth The Wait

Quote Originally Posted by TSJ55 View Post
    Football officially starts when baseball ends and not before.
    Fewer and fewer Americans feel that way every year and MLB is getting hammered ratings-wise in the key demographics--- their audience is getting older and that isn't a good thing.

Fewer and fewer Americans feel that way every year and MLB is getting hammered ratings-wise in the key demographics--- their audience is getting older and that isn't a good thing.
    Yeah, to the unwashed masses and whipper-snappers, baseball season actually ended last night. That said, I don't think we need to worry about it disappearing anytime soon.
    Everything that can be counted does not necessarily count; everything that counts cannot necessarily be counted.

All the dishes rattle in the cupboards when the elephants arrive

I don't think there is anything to see about. The game has importance or the Reds, but really means nothing for the Dodgers. And either way it is 1/162. The Jets/Bucs game on Sunday means more than the baseball game. True it is doubtful that either of those teams does anything, but on Sunday with everyone at 0-0, it is a more important game.

Again, not trying at all to argue preference here. Just struck me that yoù comment was not factually correct.
    We'll see. No one knows what will happen. You can base it on fractions and I'll wait at home to see.

It's a baseball site about the Reds....sorry for saying the game between 2 playoff teams jockeying for position is more important than two teams in week 1 of football.

Worth The Wait

Quote Originally Posted by TSJ55 View Post
    Yeah, to the unwashed masses and whipper-snappers, baseball season actually ended last night. That said, I don't think we need to worry about it disappearing anytime soon.
    Baseball is too ingrained in some major American cities to ever go anywhere. I definitely don't think there is any threat of baseball being in trouble in terms of MLB existing or being available for those who want to consume it. But in terms of national consciousness? It is trending the way of the NHL. And yes, you could almost hear the collective sigh of relief from the nation when that game kicked off last night--- it helps that the NFL brands itself so incredibly well.

I don't think baseball season ends when the NFL starts for most fans. I just think Sunday games are no longer "baseball afternoons". I'll still watch the Reds Monday-Saturday, but Sunday is for the NFL.

Of course, there's enough commercials in NFL games to watch plenty of the Reds game too.
    Domo Arigato, Here Comes Joey Votto

---TRF

"I do what I want to do and say what I want to say."

--Bronson Arroyo

18. Likes:

Cursh14 (09-06-2013)

Worth The Wait

We'll see. No one knows what will happen. You can base it on fractions and I'll wait at home to see.

It's a baseball site about the Reds....sorry for saying the game between 2 playoff teams jockeying for position is more important than two teams in week 1 of football.
    Like I said, I don't think there is anything that will happen later that can change how important something is now. I think you judge an events importance and relevance based on the importance and relevance at the time it is played-- that won't change later.

I think it is pretty much a fact to say that the outcome of the Giants-Cowboys game will have a greater affect on their respective seasons than the same for the Reds-Dodgers game.

Admittedly, kind of a silly argument we are having here, based mostly on semantics I am not trying to convince you to watch the football game-- if someone greatly prefers baseball to football than it really doesn't matter how technically important it is-- only thing that matters is how important it is to YOU.

20. Likes:

remdog (09-06-2013)

Turn Off Ads?