Turn Off Ads?
Page 66 of 67 FirstFirst ... 1656626364656667 LastLast

Thread: Scoreboard Watching 2013 (Part 3)

Re: Scoreboard Watching 2013 (Part 3)

Clearly a HOF player and he was a guy that helped make it hard to root against the Yankees. I grew up disliking the Yankees int he 70' and 80's. The way the 90's team was built made it hard for me to root against them like I had before. They were built with a core from within that just seemed like solid guys. It was a relief when the salaries went through the roof and then ARod went there and it gave me leave to root against them again. Still can't say anything bad about Rivera however.

2. Turn Off Ads?

I'm another baseball fan who grew up hating the Yankees -- especially after ESPN came along and the east coast media bias took on a whole different level. Then I moved to New York in 2005 and spent 6 years living among and working with numerous Yankee fans. I can't tell you how many old diners, old bars, etc you see in NY that are basically shrines to the Yankees. Not just the newer Yankees, but going back to the Ruth and Gehrig days. The media plays it up to a ridiculous level, but the history of the franchise and the passion of the fanbase can't be denied. I don't root for them, but I respect them more than I ever thought possible.

I can understand people not liking Mariano Rivera because he's a Yankee. But to discredit anything else about him, as a person or a player, is 100% unjustified. In my opinion, the Yankee factor just adds to his lore. Easily a first ballot HOFer.
    "I talked to an advance scout that told me if Joey Votto and Albert Pujols were on the same team he'd advise his team to do the unthinkable...pitch around Votto to get to Pujols." - Buster Olney, ESPN

4. Likes:

Always Red (09-27-2013)

Unsolicited Opinions traderumor's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by klw View Post
    Wait Mariano Rivera is retiring!?!?!?!?!?!??!?!?! Why hasn't anybody said anything????? Is he quitting because they had him come in to pitch the 8th and that is not allowed by the closers' union?
    If it weren't for Rivera, the Yankees would be irrelevant this season. And we can't have that.
    Can't win with 'em

Can't win without 'em

Flash the leather! _Sir_Charles_'s Avatar

This just in...the A's REALLY know how to celebrate. I hope that's EXTRA LIGHT Bud Light. :O)
    2014 predictions:
    99-63 WS champs (Cards take 2nd WC, Mil 3rd, Pit 4th, Chi 5th)
    Bruce/Votto neck and neck MVP race (neither takes it)
    Bailey CYA winner
    Hamilton ROY & GG

ZCTRMTP!!!!!

Cleveland on the verge of 90 wins. Anyone see that way back in February?
    Zero chance the Reds miss the playoffs!

AL WC games tonight are pretty gripping.

Toronto downed TB giving Cleveland (now up 9-3 over Twins) a real shot at WC1. Texas, still a game behind Cleveland, was leading but now tied 3-3 top 6 with the Halos. Feels pretty do or die-ish for the Rangers tonight.

And, can't wait for Tuesday for us. When we win that, looks like ATL may be more likely for us than STL. Bravos beat the Phils 1-0 tonight. Cards already up 6-0 over the little bears.
    Reds & Nats, 2013 LCS. Take2 (9/13) Reds but no Nats

Quote Originally Posted by New York Red View Post
    I'm another baseball fan who grew up hating the Yankees -- especially after ESPN came along and the east coast media bias took on a whole different level. Then I moved to New York in 2005 and spent 6 years living among and working with numerous Yankee fans. I can't tell you how many old diners, old bars, etc you see in NY that are basically shrines to the Yankees. Not just the newer Yankees, but going back to the Ruth and Gehrig days. The media plays it up to a ridiculous level, but the history of the franchise and the passion of the fanbase can't be denied. I don't root for them, but I respect them more than I ever thought possible.

I can understand people not liking Mariano Rivera because he's a Yankee. But to discredit anything else about him, as a person or a player, is 100% unjustified. In my opinion, the Yankee factor just adds to his lore. Easily a first ballot HOFer.
    I lived many years in NY and also grew up hating the team. '76 may have been my best year as a baseball fan...or a very close second to '75. Always and still feel there are many things and individuals associated with Yankeedom to like however. Rivera and Jeter, the history and legacy. To me, Steinbrenner changed the Yankees in bad ways, the championships notwithstanding. So, while I have the deepest respect for history and for anyone who plays this game well and right (like Jeter and Rivera), I still hate the Yankees. All in good fun. Kind of.

Quote Originally Posted by texasdave View Post
    Cleveland on the verge of 90 wins. Anyone see that way back in February?
    Not back then, but you could tell pretty early in the season they'd have a chance if they got decent pitching along the way, and it's been much better than just decent lately. I actually expected their offense to be better than it's been.
    "Reality tells us there are no guarantees. Except that some day Jon Lester will be on that list of 100-game winners." - Peter Gammons

And with the Twins giving Cleveland a game by clawing back 6 to the Indians' 9, no other than Drew Stubbs singles, steals 2B and scores the Indians' 10th run top 8.

And, Rangers now up 5-3 over the Angels bottom 8.

The three-way WC tie in the AL is a very realistic scenario. If that happens, there'd be a Cleveland/Tampa Bay WC playoff Monday followed by another with the winner v Texas in Arlington Tuesday. If that happened, I'd bet heavily that we and Pitt would have the afternoon slot to the AL's primetime. Because, how else would MLB program that with two midwest, secondary market teams?
    Last edited by 1940757690; 09-27-2013 at 11:15 PM.

Today's TEX-LAA game has been moved up to 11:05 AM because of storms expected later.
    "Reality tells us there are no guarantees. Except that some day Jon Lester will be on that list of 100-game winners." - Peter Gammons

ZCTRMTP!!!!!

Texas and Cleveland win. Tampa Bay loses. Cleveland a game up on both Texas and Tampa Bay going into the last game of the season. Looking solid. The Tribe is 20-6 in September. Nice.
    Zero chance the Reds miss the playoffs!

Who cares if the Reds and Pirates play on Tuesday during the day?

Are they taking a train to Pittsburgh? No.

They are off on Monday after playing Sunday in the morning. They know where they are going. They have almost a whole day to get there and then get ready for the game on Tuesday.

Lets get on with it and win it. Lets have this team pull a 2011 Cardinals.....who on the Viva El Birdos board (Good site, IMO) where being ripped to shreds worse than the Reds have been here.....by a lot.

Quote Originally Posted by Tony Cloninger View Post
    Who cares if the Reds and Pirates play on Tuesday during the day?

Are they taking a train to Pittsburgh? No.

They are off on Monday after playing Sunday in the morning. They know where they are going. They have almost a whole day to get there and then get ready for the game on Tuesday.

Lets get on with it and win it. Lets have this team pull a 2011 Cardinals.....who on the Viva El Birdos board (Good site, IMO) where being ripped to shreds worse than the Reds have been here.....by a lot.
    I care, Tony. For two reasons. One admittedly selfish and the other more charitable.

Selfishly, it's a near lock I'll be going to PNC for this game. I live in DC. It's a long drive. A night game makes it a bit easier.

Bigger point is the one about the Reds and national media. Because we all love the team and want it to win five more world series in our lifetimes, I'd guess most of us would love to see the national following grow. We don't have the diaspora of the Yanks, Sox, Cards or even Cubs. More prime time builds fan bases while also getting the players and all staff more credit for what they do; especially when they do it well.

Quote Originally Posted by 1940757690 View Post
    I care, Tony. For two reasons. One admittedly selfish and the other more charitable.

Selfishly, it's a near lock I'll be going to PNC for this game. I live in DC. It's a long drive. A night game makes it a bit easier.

Bigger point is the one about the Reds and national media. Because we all love the team and want it to win five more world series in our lifetimes, I'd guess most of us would love to see the national following grow. We don't have the diaspora of the Yanks, Sox, Cards or even Cubs. More prime time builds fan bases while also getting the players and all staff more credit for what they do; especially when they do it well.

Get to the WS again....and then follow up next year and do it again the following year and the following...nationally ...will be here once again.

Just winning a few division titles and not doing much afterwards does not help.

The Twins did that and look where they are now.

In Miami today Henderson Alvarez has a no hitter through 8 against the Tigers

Turn Off Ads?