10 Javier Baez CHC AA
    51 Corey Seager LAD A+
    8 Carlos Correa HOU A
    6 Xander Bogaerts BOS AAA
    20 Addison Russell OAK A+
    90 Brad Miller SEA MLB
    88 Chris Owings ARI AAA
    5 Francisco Lindor CLE AA

This list is sorted by their 2013 OPS (all between .840 and .900 except Lindor at .787). Quite impressive crop of SS on the way or in Miller's case already playing. Miller's OB% skills are something to marvel at.

Wonder if 3 or so of these guys turn out like the Mid 90's Arod, Jeter, Nomar, Tejada crop.
    Last edited by powersackers; 08-17-2013 at 12:54 AM.
    Attended 1976 World Series in my Mother's Womb. Attended 1990 World Series Game 2 as a 13 year old. Want to take my son to a a World Series Game in Cincinnati in my lifetime.

2. Turn Off Ads?
    Sprinkles are for winners dougdirt's Avatar

Re: New Crop of ShortStops

Carlos Correa is a stud. At the MWL All Star game he stood out among everyone there, including Byron Buxton.

I am hearing big things on Addison Russell.

Lindor has been getting big reports for years. Same for Bogaerts.

Baez can hit the ball a mile. Plate discipline could be an issue though.

Lindor, Russell, and Correa should stick at SS. I would just move Beaz, Seagar, and Bogarts to 3rd now because their going to get bigger. I prefer Nick Admed over Owings.
    http://diamondvisits.blogspot.com/ My Minor League stadium review site.

I liked Corey Seager out of the 2012 draft. Not surprised he's become an elite prospect.

In 2009 there were even more SS prospects ranked in top 100. 9 total. Of those 9 only 2 are currently playing SS in MLB. Escobar and Andrus. Only one other player is in MLB, Beckham. So going by the same attrition rate I am going to guess Correa and Lindor are only ones playing SS in MLB in 2017.

7. Likes:

OGB (08-17-2013)

There are a few blocked and under rated guys who fall just below this list. I wish the Reds could acquire one on the cheap somehow in the off-season. One is at AA in the Cubs organization named Arismendy Alcantara. He'll be 22 in October and right now he's at .269/.347/.437/.784. Blocked by Castro with Baez also in the mix.
    All my posts are my opinion - just like yours are. If I forget to state it and you're too dense to see the obvious, look here!

Our best hope right now is Carlton Daal. IMportant to remember that elite shortstops, like elite catchers, are exceedingly rare.

Quote Originally Posted by mth123 View Post
    There are a few blocked and under rated guys who fall just below this list. I wish the Reds could acquire one on the cheap somehow in the off-season. One is at AA in the Cubs organization named Arismendy Alcantara. He'll be 22 in October and right now he's at .269/.347/.437/.784. Blocked by Castro with Baez also in the mix.
    Jurickson Profar leads the list of blocked SS the Reds should be pursuing.

Trevor Story fits your description, although he's struggled in A+ this year. With Dexter Fowler rumored to be on the block this offseason, I wonder if a Bailey for Fowler and Story deal could make some sense.
    Go BLUE!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Benihana View Post
    Jurickson Profar leads the list of blocked SS the Reds should be pursuing.

Trevor Story fits your description, although he's struggled in A+ this year. With Dexter Fowler rumored to be on the block this offseason, I wonder if a Bailey for Fowler and Story deal could make some sense.
    Profar isn't blocked. He has the bat to move anywhere on the field. Unless he gets dealt for Stanton or in a similar deal, he isn't going to be moved. Bailey probably won't be enough to get him BTW. Maybe Bailey or Chapman with say Frazier could get their attention. Just too much IMO.
    All my posts are my opinion - just like yours are. If I forget to state it and you're too dense to see the obvious, look here!

Do the Orioles have any SS prospects? Machado will have that spot locked down for as long as they pay him. And they should.
    Attended 1976 World Series in my Mother's Womb. Attended 1990 World Series Game 2 as a 13 year old. Want to take my son to a a World Series Game in Cincinnati in my lifetime.

Sprinkles are for winners dougdirt's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by 19braves77 View Post
    Lindor, Russell, and Correa should stick at SS. I would just move Beaz, Seagar, and Bogarts to 3rd now because their going to get bigger. I prefer Nick Admed over Owings.
    Correa is likely to head to third base in the long run. If he is still playing shortstop by the time he is 25 I would be surprised.

Turn Off Ads?