Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Signing free agents

Signing free agents

I've not seen this discussed (maybe it has) But at my count the Reds have the 9th worst record this year. So who is going to be the free agents that the Reds can sign? This will probably be the only chance they have to sign free agents without giving up draft picks.
    The Reds don't have very much going for them in the trade market (except pitchers) The AAA team has nothing of value. Is there going to be any outfielders that will be affordable? Just wondering.
    HUBBA A man who knows everything,just can't remember it all at one time.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Signing free agents

Norichika Aoki
    Emilio Bonifacio
    Melky Cabrera
    Nelson Cruz
    Michael Cuddyer
    Chris Denorfia
    Jeff Francoeur
    Jonny Gomes
    Franklin Gutierrez
    Tony Gwynn Jr.
    Scott Hairston
    Torii Hunter
    Raul Ibanez
    Reed Johnson
    Ryan Lukwick *
    Nick Markakis *
    Darnell McDonald
    Mike Morse
    Colby Rasmus
    Alex Rios *
    Nate Schierholtz
    Grady Sizemore
    Seth Smith
    Alfonso Soriano
    Denard Span *
    Ichiro Suzuki
    Ryan Sweeney
    Josh Willingham
    Chris Young
    Delmon Young

* has 2015 option

Not a lot of great OF FAs this year, especially after you consider contract cost and age. Melky, Markakis, Morse, Span, Aoki, Cruz. Given the lack of offense around the game, all these guys could be too pricey.
    Last edited by RedlegJake; 10-23-2014 at 09:43 AM.
    No - I am not from State Farm!

Red Leg Jake, I was thinking along the lines of someone that would be worth going after, They would have to be better than what we already have, I don't follow other teams as close as most. (age) After looking down that list, I don't see much help. But thanks for posting the list.
    HUBBA A man who knows everything,just can't remember it all at one time.

Conventional wisdom around here says the Reds should not sign players to long-term big money deals. If that is the Reds plan going forward, they will be outbid on the better - and the fair to middling - free agents.
    The Rally Onion wants 150 fans before Opening Day.

http://www.facebook.com/pages/Rally-...24872650873160

Replace Heisey and Ludwick with Cuddyer and Denorfia. Great platoon, versatility. Keeping Cuddyer healthy is problematic plus it would add to payroll.
    No - I am not from State Farm!

7. Likes:

mdccclxix (10-23-2014), Old school 1983 (10-23-2014)

Quote Originally Posted by RedlegJake View Post
    Replace Heisey and Ludwick with Cuddyer and Denorfia. Great platoon, versatility. Keeping Cuddyer healthy is problematic plus it would add to payroll.

I don't know how Cuddyer and Denorfia would work as a platoon, but I certainly agree that they could be seen as targets for the Reds.

I have believed since August that the Reds were interested in Cuddyer, and he certainly fits the type of player the Reds would go after.

Denorfia is a better, more accomplished version of Heisey, and could play all 3 OF spots.

I think you could sign Rios or Cuddyer to a 3 year deal for 24 mil. Back load the deal to make room this year. So 5 mill in 2015, 8 mil in 2016, 11 mil in 2017. Maybe make 2017 an option year with a 4-5 million dollar buyout.

Meanwhile, extend Cueto and/or Chapman and/or Latos/Leake to deals that also cut their pay in 2015 to around 5 mil. Save around 10-15 million that way.

I also like Denorfia, but it shows Cuddyer kills left hand pitching like Denorfia is for. Since Cuddyer hits well against lhp and rhp, just hope he can start 140 games. If injury strikes, call up Yorman, Winker or Waldrop.

Lastly, I like signing Stephen Drew to a 1 or 2 year 8 million dollar per year pillow contract with an agreement to not offer a QO at the end. Platoon him with Cozart. Heck, sign Drew for 3 years. I'm a believer that he will bounce back.

Vs RHP

Drew
    Votto
    Mez
    Bruce
    Frazier
    Cuddyer
    Phillips
    Hamilton
    P

Vs LHP

Phillips
    Votto
    Mez
    Frazier
    Cuddyer / Yorman
    Bruce
    Cozart
    Hamilton
    P

I don't know, if you can get these FA to sign back loaded deals along with extending 2 or 3 pitchers with the same thing in mind, 2015 could be a great year.
    2015 Rotation: Under Construction

Can't see the protected pick coming into play at all unless it's in the very late stages (just before the start of the season or slightly after). There are only three OF's even conceivably worthy of a tender - Nelson Cruz, Nick Markakis and possibly Melky Cabrera - and I would not give multiple year, 8-figure deals to any of them. There should be a handful of starters that will get QO'd, but I cannot fathom an offer to any of them with four starters of our own to try and extend.

There could be a handful of position players and relievers that could be useful a9but only at the right price. Jed Lowrie is the first that comes to mind, but I'd prefer someone young and controllable. And please dear lord! No Deno! I'd rather have Gomes as the lesser side of a platoon.

The only way I could possibly see the protected pick coming into play is if the FO fails to extend any of our starters or a LFer via trade. In that case, if someone like Cruz, Markakis or Cabrera or maybe a starter has there market hurt significantly by the draft pick requirement, then I could see the Reds signing them to a bargain 1 yr. contract. As a n incentive to sign, I would guarantee them I would not QO them following 2015.

11. Likes:

mth123 (10-24-2014)

Quote Originally Posted by mdccclxix View Post
    I think you could sign Rios or Cuddyer to a 3 year deal for 24 mil. Back load the deal to make room this year. So 5 mill in 2015, 8 mil in 2016, 11 mil in 2017. Maybe make 2017 an option year with a 4-5 million dollar buyout.

Meanwhile, extend Cueto and/or Chapman and/or Latos/Leake to deals that also cut their pay in 2015 to around 5 mil. Save around 10-15 million that way.

I also like Denorfia, but it shows Cuddyer kills left hand pitching like Denorfia is for. Since Cuddyer hits well against lhp and rhp, just hope he can start 140 games. If injury strikes, call up Yorman, Winker or Waldrop.

Lastly, I like signing Stephen Drew to a 1 or 2 year 8 million dollar per year pillow contract with an agreement to not offer a QO at the end. Platoon him with Cozart. Heck, sign Drew for 3 years. I'm a believer that he will bounce back.

Vs RHP

Drew
    Votto
    Mez
    Bruce
    Frazier
    Cuddyer
    Phillips
    Hamilton
    P

Vs LHP

Phillips
    Votto
    Mez
    Frazier
    Cuddyer / Yorman
    Bruce
    Cozart
    Hamilton
    P

I don't know, if you can get these FA to sign back loaded deals along with extending 2 or 3 pitchers with the same thing in mind, 2015 could be a great year.

I really like Cuddyer, but I've seen three projections for him and they all predicted a 2yr/$22M deal. As much as I like him, I don't think I'd do that with his age and recent injury history. Not interested in Drew. If I'm going FA at SS then it would be Jed Lowrie.
    Last edited by corkedbat; 10-23-2014 at 12:52 PM.

Cuddyer would make Ludwick look like a gold glove. Even if you can get past that, it means he's going to have a lot more value to American League teams, and you'll probably have to overpay to get him.

I wouldn't mind a 1 year deal for Torii Hunter. He is 39 but still plays virtually everyday and would be at least adequately defensively in LF. He's still putting up 18-20 HR, 80 RBI seasons with .760-.800 OPS. A 1 year 7-10 million deal for him would suit me fine.

15. Likes:

kpresidente (10-23-2014), Old school 1983 (10-23-2014)

The fact Cuddyer is still listed as a RF and playing in Coors makes me think he could handle LF in a smaller park, at least approximate to Ludwick.

It would be crippling if he were to get injured, though.

Lot's of effort to make payroll room to get him and then pop, he's out all year.

That's the FA game though. Rather higher stakes.

Rios, another RF, could be a good option, although he had injury issues last year too.

In both cases a two year commitment is all that is required.

2015 outfield:

LF: Rios or Cuddyer / Schumaker
    CF :Hamilton / Yorman / Negron
    RF: Bruce / Rios or Cuddyer

2016 outfield:

LF: Rios or Cuddyer / Winker / Waldrop
    CF :Hamilton / Yorman / Negron / Bruce
    RF: Bruce / Rios or Cuddyer / Waldrop

2017 outfield:

LF: Winker / Waldrop / Ervin
    CF :Hamilton / Yorman / Bruce (option year) / Ervin
    RF: Bruce (option year)/ Yorman / Waldrop / Ervin

With Rios or Cuddyer on board and healthy, the Reds are better if Bruce fails, if Hamilton fails, if Winker or Waldrop or Yorman fail or take more time than we hope. This safeguards against poor performances at any OF position by any player and creates quality depth for at least 3 years.
    2015 Rotation: Under Construction

If I can come up with a replacement for him and Bruce is showing any signs of a rebound, I deal him the first offer I get.

If LF is taken by a lefty, especially one with low to average power, or one.that struggles with lefties, I'd look into signing Gomes. Heck I might do it to spell Bruce and add some pop to the bench.

Quote Originally Posted by corkedbat View Post
    If I can come up with a replacement for him and Bruce is showing any signs of a rebound, I deal him the first offer I get.

Just because you're bored or what?

Seriously, what sense would it make to trade Bruce during 2015 if he rebounds, because during the season would be the first chance you get.

If you think it makes sense to trade Bruce after 2015, because you don't want to give him an extension, and the other team would have control of him for one season plus his option, I could understand your reasoning, I may not agree, but I would understand your side. Certainly, if you find a full-time OF this offseason, and Winker or Waldrop look ready sometime during the season, but certainly by 2016.

Any earlier than that, and Bruce is your best bet to be productive, especially if he rebounds, or shows signs as you say. Because even if you find one full-time OF this year, and Hamilton continues getting better in CF, you still need a RF, and counting on one of the young guys during the season seems risky.

Turn Off Ads?