Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 7 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Official August 2014 Waiver Deadline Trade thread

Official August 2014 Waiver Deadline Trade thread

This continues KLW's idea from the previous july deadline thread. Use this thread exclusively for posting news, rumors, discussion, snark, panda gif's, and woe-is us statements or just a catch all for things that don't seem big enough for their own thread.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Official August 2014 Waiver Deadline Trade thread

Here is the mlbtraderumors rundown on how August trades work:

Here’s a rundown of how August trades work…
    http://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2014/0...-trades-2.html

Teams have to pass players through revocable waivers to trade them after the July 31st non-waiver trade deadline. Those revocable waivers last 47 hours.
    Players who go unclaimed after those 47 hours are eligible to be traded to any team for the rest of the season.
    A team has three options if one of its players is claimed off revocable waivers. That team can either pull the player back without penalty, work out a trade with the claiming team, or simply hand the player and his salary over for nothing. Recent examples of this include the White Sox’s acquisition of Alex Rios and the Giants’ acquisition of Cody Ross.
    Teams will often put most of their players on waivers to determine interest. There’s no risk in doing so, as they don’t have to actually give up a player that is claimed by another team.
    Regardless of the day of the week (Saturday and Sunday are treated as normal days), clubs have two days (48.5 hours) to deal claimed players. They can only negotiate a trade with the team that was awarded the claim on that player.
    If only one team claims a player, he can only be dealt to that team. If more than one team claims a player, he can only be traded to the claiming team with the highest waiver priority. The order of priority goes: 1) from worst record to best record among teams in the same league as the club seeking waivers; and then 2) from worst to best among teams in the other league. (In other words, if a player is put on waivers by an AL team, first priority goes to the AL club with the worst record, with the NL club with the worst record in line behind the best AL team.)
    If a team places a player on waivers a second time after pulling him back, the waivers are no longer revocable. A claiming team would be awarded the player at that point. Obviously, the risk in placing a player on waivers a second time is significant.
    Teams cannot pass players on the disabled list through waivers. If a player is placed on waivers and then placed on the disabled list the next day, his team must cancel the waiver request.
    Players acquired after August 31st can’t play in the postseason.
    I will note that last year's controversial move was Byrd to the Pirates. The Pirates gave up 2 prospects to get Byrd after being awarded the claim. The lack of a Reds claim was demonstrated by the Pirates getting the claim while having a better record than the Reds. As the claim goes to a team with the worse record at the time, for the Pirates to get the claim meant the Reds did not put in a claim. Had the Reds put in a claim they could have chosen to make a trade or not but Pittsburgh could not have gotten Byrd.

Anyway I will also note that while there were Panda JPEGs in the July thread but no GIFs I will post the following to ensure the same is not said for August.

4. Likes:

SirFelixCat (08-01-2014)

Jim Johnson's DFA period ends soon. I don't think I would mind taking a run at him, I think he has cheap bullpen filler written all over him. If it means less JJ Hoover over the next month sign me up.
    The Sox traded Bullfrog the only player they've got for Shottenhoffen. Four-eyes Shottenhoffen a utility infielder. They've got a whole team of utility infielders.

Quote Originally Posted by klw View Post
    Here is the mlbtraderumors rundown on how August trades work:

Here’s a rundown of how August trades work…
    http://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2014/0...-trades-2.html

I will note that last year's controversial move was Byrd to the Pirates. The Pirates gave up 2 prospects to get Byrd after being awarded the claim. The lack of a Reds claim was demonstrated by the Pirates getting the claim while having a better record than the Reds. As the claim goes to a team with the worse record at the time, for the Pirates to get the claim meant the Reds did not put in a claim. Had the Reds put in a claim they could have chosen to make a trade or not but Pittsburgh could not have gotten Byrd.

Anyway I will also note that while there were Panda JPEGs in the July thread but no GIFs I will post the following to ensure the same is not said for August.
    [IMG][/IMG]
    Technically, it was Byrd and Buck for two prospects, right? I never heard if the Pirates wanted it that way or the Mets insisted on it being that way.

http://www.mlbtraderumors.com/

Athletics Release Jim Johnson, Outright Kenny Wilson

By Jeff Todd [August 1, 2014 at 1:30pm CDT]

Here are the day’s minor moves:

Oakland has released embattled former closer Jim Johnson, per a club announcement. Brought in via trade, Johnson failed to deliver on his $10MM salary. The A’s will be responsible for the rest of it, less the prorated league minimum rate if Johnson catches on with a new team.
    The Athletics outrighted outfielder Kenny Wilson to Double-A yesterday, according to the MLB transactions page. The speedy 24-year-old outfielder has been no stranger to transactions this year, as he obviously holds appeal to clubs but is hard to keep on a 40-man roster.
    Catching up on the always-shifting DFA rolls, the following players are currently in limbo, per MLBTR’s DFA tracker: Jake Elmore (Athletics), Nick Noonan and Jose De Paula (Giants), Juan Carlos Oviedo and Erik Bedard (Rays), Jeff Francis and Brian Roberts (Yankees), Josh Wall (Pirates), and Ryan Wheeler (Rockies).

Designate Jordan Schafer For Assignment

By Jeff Todd [August 1, 2014 at 1:44pm CDT]

The Braves have designated outfielder Jordan Schafer for assignment, reports MLB.com’s Mark Bowman (via Twitter). He was expected to be a roster casualty after the team picked up Emilio Bonifacio yesterday via trade.

Schafer, 27, has struggled to a .163/.256/.213 line in 93 plate appearances this year for Atlanta, though he has racked up 15 stolen bases in that time. He was a valuable contributor last year, slashing .247/.331/.346 with 22 swipes. The Braves claimed him from the Astros in the fall of 2012 after originally shipping him to Houston in the Michael Bourn deal.

- - - Updated - - -

Giants Designate Dan Uggla, Tyler Colvin

By Jeff Todd [August 1, 2014 at 1:35pm CDT]

AUGUST 1: The Giants have designated Uggla and Colvin for assignment, tweets Alex Pavlovic of the Mercury News.

From Jayson Stark/ESPN on August Trade Waiver candidates:

Mat Latos, Reds

As Jayson Stark reported, the Reds have been open to discussing him, and Latos, 26, is arbitration-eligible this winter. It might make sense for the Braves to place a claim, given that Ervin Santana will likely depart as a free agent after this season.

Ryan Ludwick, Reds

It all depends on how he's swinging the bat at the time he passes through waivers, but Cincinnati could be ready to move him sometime -- and there aren’t a lot of decent right-handed bats.
    Very difficult to imagine Latos slipping through waivers, or even a guy I'd want to trade in August, if at all.
    Go BLUE!!!

Quote Originally Posted by LoganBuck View Post
    Jim Johnson's DFA period ends soon. I don't think I would mind taking a run at him, I think he has cheap bullpen filler written all over him. If it means less JJ Hoover over the next month sign me up.
    The last thing the Reds need is another pitcher in the bullpen. Hoover can go down to the minors and a catcher can come up. If they can't live with 12 pitchers, then they have bigger problems than the lack of offense this team has shown.
    Win the Division

Red Sox Designate Mike Carp For Assignment

By Jeff Todd [August 1, 2014 at 2:35pm CDT]

The Red Sox have designated outfielder/first baseman Mike Carp for assignment, Alex Speier of WEEI.com reports on Twitter. The move was made as the team juggles its roster after yesterday’s trades.

Carp, 28, has only a .198/.320/.279 slash in 103 scattered plate appearances on the year. Last year, though, he was a revelation, slashing .296/.362/.523 with nine home runs in 243 turns at bat.

A fairly versatile option with at least two seasons of above-average production and pop already in the books, the left-handed hitter figures to draw a look from contenders. Clubs like the Royals and Reds have been said to have interest in such a player, and failed to make any moves at yesterday’s trade deadline. He will need to pass through waivers in order to be moved. Carp is playing on a $1.4MM annual salary in his first year of arbitration eligibility.

Latos in August ain't a'gonna happen. Even if Mat made it through waivers, you would want an all-star caliber MLB bat or a haul of two or three top near-MLB ready prospects in return and neither category is making it through waivers. If they deal a starter now, it will be in the offseason. The only thing happening in August for the Reds would be Ludwick, Broxton, Ondrusek, etc.
    Last edited by corkedbat; 08-01-2014 at 07:40 PM.

13. Likes:

Benihana (08-01-2014)

Quote Originally Posted by Strikes Out Looking View Post
    The last thing the Reds need is another pitcher in the bullpen. Hoover can go down to the minors and a catcher can come up. If they can't live with 12 pitchers, then they have bigger problems than the lack of offense this team has shown.
    You totally misconstrued my entire post.
    The Sox traded Bullfrog the only player they've got for Shottenhoffen. Four-eyes Shottenhoffen a utility infielder. They've got a whole team of utility infielders.

Quote Originally Posted by corkedbat View Post
    Latos in August ain't a'gonna happen. Even if Mat made it through waivers, you would want an all-star caliber MLB bat or a haul of two or three top near-MLB ready prospects in return and neither category is making it through waivers. If they deal a starter now, it will be in the offseason. The only thing happening in August for the Reds would be Ludwick, Broxton, Ondrusek, etc.
    Probably true about Latos, but if the Reds are acquiring prospects that are not currently on a 40 man roster in return, they don't need to pass through waivers. Guys on the 40 man can be acquired as PTBNL as long as they don't appear in a major league game before the deal is completed. If it's all about top prospects, this type of deal is possible as long as the guy you are selling makes it through waivers.

IMO, Broxton is more likely. His $9 Million next year probably means he'll pass through and the Reds can wait until late August to see if the run occurs. The Reds may get a B prospect who isn't on a 40 man. I could see Ludwick going for Salary relief if some team will take part of the buy-out.
    "All I can tell them is pick a good one and sock it." --BABE RUTH

Having better players makes "the right time" or "the big hit" happen a lot more often. PLUS PLUS

Quote Originally Posted by corkedbat View Post
    Jayson Stark made a good point yesterday. With Lester, Scherzer, Shields, etc. all getting to free agency this winter, it's likely not going to be a great market for trading a SP. I agree that it's unlikely that a Latos trade could happen, but now is probably the best time to do something like that.

For Ludwick, I think the best chance of a trade is if the Yankees can run off a few wins and stay close in the division and wild card. I think that the Yankees are going to do everything they can to make the playoffs in Jeter's last season. Ludwick would be an offensive upgrade over Ichiro, especially against lefties. And they're clearly not too worried about taking on contracts. They've traded for Martin Prado and Chase Headley, guys who are more expensive and less productive than Ludwick.

I remember at one point Colvin was a very highly thought of OF prospect. Obviously he's gone off track, and I am too lazy to look it up, but would he be worth a flyer?

19. Likes:

malcontent (08-03-2014)

Turn Off Ads?