Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Jesus Montero and Mariners scout get into altercation

Jesus Montero and Mariners scout get into altercation

Kind of funny sending the ice cream sandwich to Montero but poor judgement.

http://espn.go.com/mlb/story/_/id/11...ercation-scout
    The Rally Onion wants 150 fans before Opening Day.

http://www.facebook.com/pages/Rally-...24872650873160

2. Turn Off Ads?
    post hype sleeper cincinnati chili's Avatar

Re: Jesus Montero and Mariners scout get into altercation

You have to wonder what kind of backstory there was between the two of them. If they were buds, you wouldn't really expect Montero to come out of the dugout with a bat... And if they didn't know each other well (or there was known animosity), then it seems rather odd that the scout would push his buttons.
    ". . . acquiring J. Blanton from Oakland for, apparently, Bailey/Cueto, Votto and a lesser prospect. I do it in a second . . . The Reds' equation this year is simple: Make Matt Belisle your #3 starter . . . trade for Blanton, win 85 or more, be in the mix all summer." - Paul Daugherty, Feb. 8, 2008

The only thing I can think of was that the scout was trying to light a fire under Montero by embarrassing him.

He threw the sandwich? What a waste.
    Go Gators!

6. Likes:

RedEye (08-30-2014)

Quote Originally Posted by Chip R View Post
    The only thing I can think of was that the scout was trying to light a fire under Montero by embarrassing him.
    If so, not his job.

- - - Updated - - -

Someone on facebook just said he was furious because it was only one ice cream sandwich.
    ". . . acquiring J. Blanton from Oakland for, apparently, Bailey/Cueto, Votto and a lesser prospect. I do it in a second . . . The Reds' equation this year is simple: Make Matt Belisle your #3 starter . . . trade for Blanton, win 85 or more, be in the mix all summer." - Paul Daugherty, Feb. 8, 2008

8. Likes:

Chip R (08-30-2014), Tom Servo (08-31-2014)

Guy worked for the Reds, had a blog as a scout and the team made him shut it down

10. Likes:

lollipopcurve (08-30-2014)

Jason Whitlock had a great line on PTI yesterday. He said if someone throws ice cream sandwiches at his house he calls it "makin' it rain."

12. Likes:

cincinnati chili (08-31-2014)

No half measures, Walter RedEye's Avatar

The lesson? Don't EVER trade for a "top" Yankees prospect.
    "Iíll kind of have a foot on the back of my own butt. Thatís just how I do things.Ē -- Bryan Price, 10/22/2013

14. Likes:

Tom Servo (08-30-2014)

Quote Originally Posted by cincinnati chili View Post
    If so, not his job.
    No, probably not. But he probably figured that maybe he could be the one to turn Montero's career around. I'm sure there has been times in the past where advice from a scout helped a player. Montero couldn't get much worse.

Someone on facebook just said he was furious because it was only one ice cream sandwich.
    Now that's funny.

Quote Originally Posted by RedEye View Post
    The lesson? Don't EVER trade for a "top" Yankees prospect.
    Dellin Betances used to be a Top Yankees Prospect. I'd sure like to have him in the bullpen right now. Phil Hughes is having a very good season, though he has had his struggles along the way. He's had a few good years mixed in with a few poor ones. Ian Kennedy did alright for himself. Brett Gardner has been pretty good.

Quote Originally Posted by dougdirt View Post
    Dellin Betances used to be a Top Yankees Prospect. I'd sure like to have him in the bullpen right now. Phil Hughes is having a very good season, though he has had his struggles along the way. He's had a few good years mixed in with a few poor ones. Ian Kennedy did alright for himself. Brett Gardner has been pretty good.
    Austin Jackson worked out okay for the Tigers.
    Nick Johnson was pretty great for some bad teams in Montreal and Washington.

http://www.thebaseballcube.com/prosp...T=20&Page=Team

18. Likes:

dougdirt (08-31-2014), RedlegJake (08-31-2014)

Good for the scout.

Quote Originally Posted by Todd Gack View Post
    Good for the scout.
    Yep, nothing screams immature adult like picking a fight with a 20 something player who can't fight back.

21. Likes:

dougdirt (08-31-2014), Larkin Fan (08-31-2014)

No half measures, Walter RedEye's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by dougdirt View Post
    Yeah, I know, I was half joking. Austin Jackson has been decent, Phil Hughes turned out okay (after awhile) and Nick Johnson was alright. But it does seem that Cashman et al. rarely trade the really good prospects -- and they seem to have a PR machine worked out so that they hype guys at just the right time to maximize their returns.
    "Iíll kind of have a foot on the back of my own butt. Thatís just how I do things.Ē -- Bryan Price, 10/22/2013

Quote Originally Posted by RedEye View Post
    Yeah, I know, I was half joking. Austin Jackson has been decent, Phil Hughes turned out okay (after awhile) and Nick Johnson was alright. But it does seem that Cashman et al. rarely trade the really good prospects -- and they seem to have a PR machine worked out so that they hype guys at just the right time to maximize their returns.
    I don't think it's a PR machine as much as it is there are more Yankees fans than any other fans, so national publications talk about them more because it sells more product.

Turn Off Ads?