Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Reds Rituals and Superstitions

Reds Rituals and Superstitions

Tim Kurkjian is asking people on Twitter to submit MLB player rituals (like Wade Boggs and chicken).

What are some known rituals/superstitions of current or former Reds?

2. Turn Off Ads?
    I wear Elly colored glass WrongVerb's Avatar

Re: Reds Rituals and Superstitions

The Reds pitchers seem to have a nightly ritual where they give up home runs.
    Our planet is a lonely speck in the great enveloping cosmic dark. In our obscurity, in all this vastness, there is no hint that help will come from elsewhere to save us from ourselves. -- Carl Sagan (Pale Blue Dot)

4. Likes:

Ben Zinger (04-13-2018),CarolinaRedleg (04-19-2018),Chip R (04-18-2018),OGB (04-19-2018)

https://www.redreporter.com/2011/6/1...among-its-fans

Mark Grace on slumpbusting was an instant classic:

"A slumpbuster is when you have to take one for the team. It's finding the biggest, nastiest, fattest broad, and you put the wood to her to come out of your slump. Also known as 'jumping on a grenade for the team'."

6. Likes:

DatRedsFan (04-19-2018)

IIRC, someone put Dave Concepcion in a dryer one time to get him out of a slump. Kinda dangerous but anything at this point?
    Reds Fan Since 1971

9. Likes:

cumberlandreds (04-13-2018)

I don't think I've ever read anything about Votto being superstitious or having any rituals, but he really, really seems like he would.

11. Likes:

Chip R (04-18-2018)

The Foxsports story is from 2015, but I didn't realize it till after reading it and scrolling up. Seems current. These are tough times to be a Reds fan...have been for a while.

This year, I get drunk everytime they play
    Quote Originally Posted by Scooter View Post
    A little bit off topic, but do you guys think that Jesse Winker profiles more like Pete Rose or is he just the next Hal Morris??

15. Likes:

CarolinaRedleg (04-19-2018),DatRedsFan (04-19-2018),OGB (04-19-2018),Red Raindog (04-13-2018),Spanky (04-18-2018),texasdave (04-18-2018)

I remember in Anthropology class in college reading about baseball players being very OCD about stuff. I thought Boggs thing was that he had to eat Long John Silvers before games because one time he ate there and went like 4-for-4 or something? As a result, he wanted to eat Long John Silvers before every game.

The Reds struggles this year remind me of the story of the player who stood for the National Anthem, then told his teammate, “Damn, I always seem to have a bad game whenever I hear that song”.
    "In baseball, you don't know nothin'"...Yogi Berra

18. Likes:

DatRedsFan (04-19-2018),KYExtemper (04-14-2018),texasdave (04-13-2018)

They call me "chef"

Two off the top of my head are Billy Hamilton never wears red during off days because he believes it will give him bad fielding luck and the Reds' owners never try to invest in a competitive ball club because they believe it will make them lose profits.

20. Likes:

BillDoran (04-18-2018),CarolinaRedleg (04-19-2018),DatRedsFan (04-19-2018),NebraskaRed (04-14-2018),OGB (04-19-2018),wally post (04-15-2018),Wonderful Monds (04-19-2018)

SERP deep cover ops WebScorpion's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Homer's Ghost View Post
    Sweet! We've got the same ritual! Is it working? I'm too drunk to tell...

"This field, this game, is a part of our past. It reminds us of all that once was good, and what could be again." -- Terence Mann

Quote Originally Posted by Homer's Ghost View Post
    sadly it looks like the players do get drunk (before or during the game) aswell
    "Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

Reds players, coaches, managers and front office people think it is bad luck to win two games in a row.

24. Likes:

CarolinaRedleg (04-19-2018),WrongVerb (04-18-2018)

Turn Off Ads?