Turn Off Ads?
Page 6 of 24 FirstFirst ... 234567891016 ... LastLast

Thread: Just for fun. Best baseball gifs...

Re: Just for fun. Best baseball gifs...

2. Likes:

dougdirt (08-23-2013)

3. Turn Off Ads?
    Sprinkles are for winners dougdirt's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by klw View Post
    Nice at bat here:

Well he didn't chase that but I'll bust him inside and I'm sure he will bite.

Wait who just scored? I'm ejected wait, what?
    Did the runner actually score on that play?

Where is George? Since the umpire clearly ejects Strasburg before the runner could have ever possibly have scored, shouldn't the play be dead and the runner forced to stay since Strasburg was ejected and could in no way have been allowed to cover home plate on the play?

Bo knows baseball

How they throw out the first pitch in Korea

Last edited by jhiller21; 08-23-2013 at 08:43 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by dougdirt View Post

Where is George? Since the umpire clearly ejects Strasburg before the runner could have ever possibly have scored, shouldn't the play be dead and the runner forced to stay since Strasburg was ejected and could in no way have been allowed to cover home plate on the play?
    Yep. per game notes.
    http://espn.go.com/mlb/playbyplay?gameId=330817115

Code:
    Stephen Strasburg pitching for Washington	WSH	ATL
    J Schafer walked.	                                        4	1
    J Schafer to second on wild pitch by S Strasburg.	4	1
    J Schafer to third on wild pitch by S Strasburg.	4	1
    J Schafer scored on S Strasburg's wild pitch.	4	2
    Washington's S Strasburg ejected by M Hudson in the 2nd.	4	2
    T Roark relieved S Strasburg.	4	2
    A Simmons walked.	4	2
    P Janish walked, A Simmons to second.	4	2
    Here is the article where I found the GIF's. Some good stuff in there.
    http://www.fangraphs.com/blogs/the-w...st-pitches-14/

You probably know why this is controversial, as a “wildest pitch” nominee. Strasburg was ejected because the umpire had already issued warnings, and this was a fastball behind a guy’s back. A message pitch hardly counts as wild at all. Earlier, Strasburg drilled Justin Upton, as retaliation for the Braves drilling Bryce Harper. The pitch just before this one was another fastball behind Simmons’ back. It looked like Strasburg might’ve been sending a message, again. But then Strasburg claims he just lost it, and Davey Johnson thinks he lost it, and as Strasburg threw these wild pitches, a runner came around to score. You don’t usually see message pitches with runners in scoring position, and you don’t usually see them after a message has already been sent, and you don’t usually see them against batters as limited as Andrelton Simmons. Strasburg, ultimately, wasn’t suspended, as MLB determined these pitches were accidents. I’ve elected to agree, as frightening as that is to think about. What we do know, though, is that with tensions high, Strasburg threw consecutive fastballs behind a rival batter, and this is a screenshot of the second one, and WHY IS THAT WOMAN IN THE FIRST ROW NOT PAYING ATTENTION? WHY ARE THERE PEOPLE LOOKING ELSEWHERE? HOW INTENSE DOES A BASEBALL GAME NEED TO BE FOR YOU TO ACTUALLY WANT TO LOOK AT IT

I didn't know that Spiderman had a secret lair?

"The players make the manager, it's never the other way." - Sparky Anderson

8. Likes:

CrackerJack (05-04-2014),jhiller21 (08-23-2013),KittyDuran (08-25-2013),powersackers (09-10-2013),Tom Servo (08-24-2013)

^ That's great

10. Likes:

OnBaseMachine (08-31-2013)

Quote Originally Posted by NJReds View Post
    I didn't know that Spiderman had a secret lair?

Yeah if that's real, just wait until monkey fly out of my.... oh wait.

Two views of the same first pitch

I imagine this is what it's like facing Bronson Arroyo in a game of whiffle ball.

14. Likes:

Spitball (08-25-2013)

Chad Qualls falls division

Last edited by klw; 08-23-2013 at 09:11 PM.

16. Likes:

KittyDuran (08-25-2013)

Flash the leather! _Sir_Charles_'s Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by klw View Post
    Two views of the same first pitch

I'd say sign this guy...but his foot wasn't on the rubber. *grin*

That was great btw. :O)

probably the best thing the Marlins have done all year

“I don’t care,” Votto said of passing his friend and former teammate. “He’s in the past. Bye-bye, Jay.”

Quote Originally Posted by dougdirt View Post

the run scores....Strasburg isn't technically ejected until play is dead. Strasburg can still make a play but once the play is dead he is ejected.

One thing to remember about baseball rules is when handing out penalty's to think what is fair. It wouldn't be fair to penalize the runner and not allow him to score because of another players unsportsmanlike behavior which in this case would be Strasburg.
    "Boys, I'm one of those umpires that misses 'em every once in a while so if it's close, you'd better hit it." Cal Hubbard

Sprinkles are for winners dougdirt's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by George Anderson View Post
    the run scores....Strasburg isn't technically ejected until play is dead. Strasburg can still make a play but once the play is dead he is ejected.

One thing to remember about baseball rules is when handing out penalty's to think what is fair. It wouldn't be fair to penalize the runner and not allow him to score because of another players unsportsmanlike behavior which in this case would be Strasburg.
    Thanks for checking in George, I knew you would have the answer.

I certainly was on board that it wouldn't be fair to penalize the Braves there.... just wasn't sure how all of the rules worked out in terms of how to continue a play in a scenario in which a player were ejected during a live play like that. I honestly don't recall ever seeing it before, so it really got me thinking. Thanks for clearing it all up.

21. Likes:

George Anderson (08-25-2013)

Flash the leather! _Sir_Charles_'s Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by George Anderson View Post

Just curious....do people think he was thowing at him on purpose? I sure don't. You don't do that with a guy on third. I think his release point and his delivery was all screwy. He was all over the place in that ab. Way out side too. I thought it was odd to toss him there...unless he's just tossing him for the safety of others. *grin*

23. Likes:

JayBruceFan (08-25-2013)

Turn Off Ads?