Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 26

Thread: Potential September call up

  1. #1
    Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Posts
    168

    Potential September call up

    Zach Duke re-signed with the Reds, but has an opt out clause giving him free agency on Sept 2 if he so desires. What are the odds that the Reds make room for him on the 40-man to call him up in September?

  2. Turn Off Ads?
  3. #2
    The Big Dog mth123's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Posts
    14,994

    Re: Potential September call up

    Quote Originally Posted by wastedtime View Post
    Zach Duke re-signed with the Reds, but has an opt out clause giving him free agency on Sept 2 if he so desires. What are the odds that the Reds make room for him on the 40-man to call him up in September?
    Iffy. If the Reds decide to Add Lorenzon and Hamilton, both realistic possibilities, or Stephenson (longer shot) while activating Marshall from the 60 day DL, they would need to create a bunch of spots. Moving Cueto to the 60 day DL would be 1. DFAs of Lotzkar, Ravin and Freeman might be the others.

    Villareal vs. Duke I'd guess. I'd make all those moves if it was my team.

    Have to think Corky will be activated and Partch and Robinson will be back as well.
    Last edited by mth123; 08-18-2013 at 09:30 PM.
    "All I can tell them is pick a good one and sock it." --BABE RUTH

    Having better players makes "the right time" or "the big hit" happen a lot more often. PLUS PLUS

  4. #3
    Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Posts
    168

    Re: Potential September call up

    Quote Originally Posted by mth123 View Post
    Iffy. If the Reds decide to Add Lorenzon and Hamilton, both realistic possibilities, or Stephenson (longer shot) while activating Marshall from the 60 day DL, they would need to create a bunch of spots. Moving Cueto to the 60 day DL would be 1. DFAs of Lotzkar, Ravin and Freeman might be the others.

    Villareal vs. Duke I'd guess. I'd make all those moves if it was my team.

    Have to think Corky will be activated and Partch and Robinson will be back as well.
    Based on Villarreal's performance in the minors and majors, I wouldn't mind dropping him off the 40-man to make room for Duke as well. Duke has been lights out with Louisville this season.

  5. #4
    Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Posts
    4,712

    Re: Potential September call up

    Quote Originally Posted by wastedtime View Post
    Based on Villarreal's performance in the minors and majors, I wouldn't mind dropping him off the 40-man to make room for Duke as well. Duke has been lights out with Louisville this season.
    Agree with this. I simply don't see major-league value in Villarreal. The Reds, however, have handled him as if they do. Baffles me.

  6. #5
    Louisville Bats Expert batsfan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Posts
    695

    Re: Potential September call up

    Quote Originally Posted by mth123 View Post
    Iffy. If the Reds decide to Add Lorenzon
    Who??? Michael Lorenzon? How on earth is this a realistic possibility?

  7. #6
    Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Posts
    168

    Re: Potential September call up

    Quote Originally Posted by batsfan View Post
    Who??? Michael Lorenzon? How on earth is this a realistic possibility?
    According to Redsof72, scouts were thinking that was a possibility. He's been promoted rather quickly, but I can't see him getting a call up until next season at the earliest.

  8. #7
    The Boss dougdirt's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Posts
    35,913

    Re: Potential September call up

    Quote Originally Posted by batsfan View Post
    Who??? Michael Lorenzon? How on earth is this a realistic possibility?
    At this point I expect it to happen.

  9. #8
    Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    Philadelphia, PA
    Posts
    553

    Re: Potential September call up

    Quote Originally Posted by batsfan View Post
    Who??? Michael Lorenzon? How on earth is this a realistic possibility?
    I don't think anybody is projecting him to be a major cog in the bullpen or anything like that but it would not be completely surprising to see him called up. Between his college season and his time in the minors he has only thrown 40 innings or so.

    Throw in the fact the minor league season ends 1st week of September and it certainly would not shock me if they bring him up for bullpen mop up duty just to get some innings under his belt.

  10. #9
    The Big Dog mth123's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Posts
    14,994

    Re: Potential September call up

    Quote Originally Posted by batsfan View Post
    Who??? Michael Lorenzon? How on earth is this a realistic possibility?
    Fast track. Guy's in the plans for 2014 IMO.
    "All I can tell them is pick a good one and sock it." --BABE RUTH

    Having better players makes "the right time" or "the big hit" happen a lot more often. PLUS PLUS

  11. #10
    Member powersackers's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Posts
    1,466

    Re: Potential September call up

    I say put him in Left field a few times.
    Attended 1976 World Series in my Mother's Womb. Attended 1990 World Series Game 2 as a 13 year old. Want to take my son to a a World Series Game in Cincinnati in my lifetime.

  12. #11
    The Boss dougdirt's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Posts
    35,913

    Re: Potential September call up

    Quote Originally Posted by powersackers View Post
    I say put him in Left field a few times.
    That is probably the reason he is being promoted so aggressively.....

    The Reds want him to pitch. Give him a taste of big time baseball as a pitcher and convince him that is what will get him there.

  13. Likes:

    757690 (08-19-2013)

  14. #12
    Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Posts
    168

    Re: Potential September call up

    I haven't heard anything about Greg Reynolds for awhile. Is he still pitching for the Bats? Is he a call up possibility?

  15. #13
    -The Insider-
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Posts
    2,871

    Re: Potential September call up

    Quote Originally Posted by wastedtime View Post
    I haven't heard anything about Greg Reynolds for awhile. Is he still pitching for the Bats? Is he a call up possibility?
    He is still in Louisville sporting a 1.86 ERA in August. The 40-man roster is really tight at the moment so I say it's highly doubtful for him to be added back on come September.

  16. #14
    Moderator RedlegJake's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Location
    North Kansas City, Mo
    Posts
    6,068

    Re: Potential September call up

    Quote Originally Posted by cinreds21 View Post
    He is still in Louisville sporting a 1.86 ERA in August. The 40-man roster is really tight at the moment so I say it's highly doubtful for him to be added back on come September.
    Cingrani's back may have something to say about that

  17. #15
    Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Posts
    168

    Re: Potential September call up

    Quote Originally Posted by RedlegJake View Post
    Cingrani's back may have something to say about that
    From what I understand, Cingrani's injury is a nagging injury, but it's not debilitating. He shouldn't have any problem playing through it.


Turn Off Ads?

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Board Moderators may, at their discretion and judgment, delete and/or edit any messages that violate any of the following guidelines: 1. Explicit references to alleged illegal or unlawful acts. 2. Graphic sexual descriptions. 3. Racial or ethnic slurs. 4. Use of edgy language (including masked profanity). 5. Direct personal attacks, flames, fights, trolling, baiting, name-calling, general nuisance, excessive player criticism or anything along those lines. 6. Posting spam. 7. Each person may have only one user account. It is fine to be critical here - that's what this board is for. But let's not beat a subject or a player to death, please.

Thank you, and most importantly, enjoy yourselves!


RedsZone.com is a privately owned website and is not affiliated with the Cincinnati Reds or Major League Baseball


Contact us: Boss | GIK | BCubb2003 | dabvu2498 | Gallen5862 | LexRedsFan | Plus Plus | RedlegJake | redsfan1995 | The Operator | Tommyjohn25