Turn Off Ads?
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Potential September call up

Re: Potential September call up

Quote Originally Posted by RedlegJake View Post
    Cingrani's back may have something to say about that
    You're a soothsayer. Reynolds gets the start for the Reds tomorrow.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Quote Originally Posted by wastedtime View Post
    From what I understand, Cingrani's injury is a nagging injury, but it's not debilitating. He shouldn't have any problem playing through it.
    Ignore what I said there

Well, at least Reynolds pitched well this time. I have no problem at all with his start, other than the fact that it was caused by Cingrani's back problems. If Greg can pitch this well regularly, and if the Reds can give the guy a bit of support, they've added another decent starter to the back end mix.

Quote Originally Posted by wastedtime View Post
    You're a soothsayer. Reynolds gets the start for the Reds tomorrow.
    Back. That's all Ihad to hear. It's tough to pitch through twinging in the back. Even if it s not serious it just screws up your whole body.

It's too bad we probably won't be able to keep Reynolds' arm in the system passed this season. He would be good insurance next season

I think it will be pretty easy to keep him. He's not going to get a major league deal. If the Reds want him, they can just guarantee $500K or so on a minor league deal. Pretty cheap depth really.
    All my posts are my opinion - just like yours are. If I forget to state it and you're too dense to see the obvious, look here!

8. Likes:

REDREAD (08-29-2013)

Sprinkles are for winners dougdirt's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by mth123 View Post
    I think it will be pretty easy to keep him. He's not going to get a major league deal. If the Reds want him, they can just guarantee $500K or so on a minor league deal. Pretty cheap depth really.
    Why would the give him Major League minimum for a minor league deal? He can be had much cheaper than that if as you say he isn't getting an MLB deal.

Quote Originally Posted by dougdirt View Post
    Why would the give him Major League minimum for a minor league deal? He can be had much cheaper than that if as you say he isn't getting an MLB deal.
    Because some other team may offer $250K or so on a minor league deal for the same reason. Keep him off the 40 man roster, but keep the depth in the system. If they just offer the going rate, he could just as easily sign elsewhere.
    All my posts are my opinion - just like yours are. If I forget to state it and you're too dense to see the obvious, look here!

Sprinkles are for winners dougdirt's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by mth123 View Post
    Because some other team may offer $250K or so on a minor league deal for the same reason. Keep him off the 40 man roster, but keep the depth in the system. If they just offer the going rate, he could just as easily sign elsewhere.
    Guys on the 40-man roster but in the minor leagues aren't getting $250,000. No one is going to be offering that.

Guys on the 40-man roster but in the minor leagues aren't getting $250,000. No one is going to be offering that.
    Happens a lot. It's a way to keep players in the system without offering a 40 man roster spot. Usually it's for veterans with more big league time, but on a team in need of pitching depth with it's ace on the DL most of the year, it's prized rookie showing back issues (that could recur as they frequently do), and it's "take the ball" vet headed for free agency, I'd think that the Reds would want to make sure they have alternatives in AAA that they aren't afraid to go to. That could be Stephenson at some point, but Corcino has stunk up the joint, Crabbe has been thought a future power pen arm and Villareal has to be falling out of the plans. There isn't really money for a $3 to $4 Million depth guy on the big league roster. It's a small price to pay to ensure that Reynolds doesn't opt for some other team more likely to have an opening at some point in the year. Some bottom half team that's is looking to deal it's vets at next season's deadline to kick start the rebuild is where I'd go on my minor league deal if I was him. There is a good chance he could be a guy to get a call to play out the string for a couple months. Of course, if he was going to get big league money anyway, he wouldn't need to worry as much about that. Assuming he doesn't show himself to be a turd in the next 5 weeks or so, I'd gladly pay that if I was Walt Jocketty.

13. Likes:

REDREAD (08-29-2013)

Stilwell got a million/year to play in AAA as insurance one year back in the 90's.
    It's not common, but it happens.
    [Phil ] Castellini celebrated the team's farm system and noted the team had promising prospects who would one day be great Reds -- and then joke then they'd be ex-Reds, saying "of course we're going to lose them". #SellTheTeamBob

Nov. 13, 2007: One of the greatest days in Reds history: John Allen gets the boot!

Turn Off Ads?