Turn Off Ads?
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Yellow Jacket underground nest advice

Re: Yellow Jacket underground nest advice

The odd thing about it is that up until this weekend, there was no hole there. I've mowed that spot all summer and I have to watch very carefully there because it's right at the cusp of the hill that drops down toward the pond. I also have to watch for the turtles that like to lay eggs in my mulch and the babies that hatch from the eggs. Is it possible that they moved from another nest or started a new one this late in the summer?
    Wear gaudy colors, or avoid display. Lay a million eggs or give birth to one. The fittest shall survive, yet the unfit may live. Be like your ancestors or be different. We must repeat!

2. Turn Off Ads?

We get them in late summer. (Always painfully discovered while mowing and pissing them off!). Anyway, I wait until evening and spray a can of bee spray down the hole and around it. It's always done the job for me.
    "Whatever you choose, however many roads you travel, I hope that you choose not to be a lady. I hope you will find some way to break the rules and make a little trouble out there. And I also hope that you will choose to make some of that trouble on behalf of women." - Nora Ephron

I would place a hose into the hole and let water run into it at a low rate over night. I would wait until after dark to place the hose to avoid being stung.
    "I am your child from the future. I'm sorry I didn't tell you this earlier." - Dylan Easton

Well, we have some tree guys out today to take down a large ash tree that has emerald ash borer and they took care of the nest for us. Didn't want to get stung. Problem solved, I hope.
    Wear gaudy colors, or avoid display. Lay a million eggs or give birth to one. The fittest shall survive, yet the unfit may live. Be like your ancestors or be different. We must repeat!

I just used some hornet and wasp killer at work made by Tough Guy. That stuff is nuke in a can. I sprayed a hole where I saw hornets and as soon as it hit them they dropped dead.

Following up, the tree guys did end up doing their own thing about the nest. At first they had forgotten about it, and since it rained shortly before they got there, no yellow jackets were coming out. When I came home for lunch, I just assumed they had taken care of it. So I went back to work and when I came home again, it must have dried out, because the yellow jackets were active again. I went to try to find wasp spray to help them out and when I came home, they had apparently decided it couldn't wait and did the whole dump gas in and light it trick. Fortunately they didn't blow up my yard. But they did have over 100 angry yellow jackets buzzing around. So one of the fired up the leaf blower and kept blowing the yellow jackets away from their work area. It was kind of funny to watch and no one got stung. They musthave done eenough to destroy most of the nest, but stragglers looked to be trying to repair things, so I went to the hardware store and got some stuff formulated for ground nesting yellow jackets. Waited till nightfall and hit it really good with the spray. No yellow jackets since.

I'd have probably just moved.
    “I don’t care,” Votto said of passing his friend and former teammate. “He’s in the past. Bye-bye, Jay.”

10. Likes:

BillDoran (09-02-2013),dougdirt (09-01-2013),HeatherC1212 (09-03-2013),PepperJack (09-02-2013)

Turn Off Ads?