Turn Off Ads?
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Sad day to be a Baseball fan

Re: Sad day to be a Baseball fan

Quote Originally Posted by PTjvs View Post
    If threats were made before the game that Arod was going to be thrown at, warnings should have been issued before the game.

I hadn't heard anything like that, though.

jvs
    I have to look it up, but I read on MLB Trade rumors that many pitchers were saying privately that any PED user was a target. I'm not sure that there were any specific threats against ARod. However, I think every baseball fan was expecting ARod to be thrown at, and even on this board, that option was heavily discussed.

Still, I can't blame O'Nora, it's a tough judgement call either way, and he's damned if he does and damned if he doesn't.
    Hoping to change my username to 75769024

2. Turn Off Ads?

Quote Originally Posted by klw View Post
    I disagree. The second and third pitches were not close to A Rod though they were tailing fastballs. The late movement is exaggerated by the TV angle. The second was not that far from being a strike and Arod didn't even flinch.

http://mlb.mlb.com/news/article.jsp?...s_mlb&c_id=mlb
    This view is much better.

I was judging based on ESPN, who put a red "circle" up showing where each pitch was...the circles are further inside than the pitch actually was. I'll see if I can catch it again today or find a screenshot somewhere.

Would it be fair to say George, that sometimes the sequence of events that happen results in the "wrong" party being tossed? For instance, in football, you always hear, "the second guy to fight gets the flag". Care to expound upon that? Do the umps say anything to the guy being tossed to let them know the ump realizes it wasn't "fair".

I believe that is often the case, and I chalk it up to just being one of those things.

Quote Originally Posted by kaldaniels View Post
    Would it be fair to say George, that sometimes the sequence of events that happen results in the "wrong" party being tossed? For instance, in football, you always hear, "the second guy to fight gets the flag". Care to expound upon that? Do the umps say anything to the guy being tossed to let them know the ump realizes it wasn't "fair".

I believe that is often the case, and I chalk it up to just being one of those things.
    The less you talk on the field the better off things will be. If the situation arose where I had to eject a pitcher following a warning and regardless if he was or wasn't the one who started it. I would eject, explain to the coach I felt he tried to hit the batter intentionally and that he was ejected. I would say nothing more regardless how much the coach tried to plead his case. The decision has been made and the only thing a long discussion will do is get me to say something to enrage the coach or incriminate myself and get me in trouble after the game. Silence is golden.
    "Boys, I'm one of those umpires that misses 'em every once in a while so if it's close, you'd better hit it." Cal Hubbard

If you really want PEDs out of the game this is how it is gunna happen, the players policing it.

At this point its obvious the MLB penalties aren't doing the trick.

In fact I think its opposite of the original poster. That day was a good day to be a baseball fan because it became clear that there are players against it, just not talking against it for media reasons.

Quote Originally Posted by GotHeeeeem View Post
    At this point its obvious the MLB penalties aren't doing the trick.
    Thats the main issue. Penalties need to be MUCH harsher than they are atm. Strike the cheaters and strike them hard. First time caught? 100 games ban without pay. Second time caught? You are outta here. All records strapped, contract void. No money.

And i think the players should really step up more and put pressure on the Players Union to maybe even alter the CBA in that way. Because clean players are the ones i realy feel sorry for. Loosing their jobs to cheaters must feel really bad.

8. Likes:

remdog (08-23-2013)

Turn Off Ads?