Turn Off Ads?
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Playoff rotation question

Calgary, Alberta, aka, the most prosperous city in the world.

Re: Playoff rotation question

Quote Originally Posted by Caveat Emperor View Post
    Latos, Bailey, Arroyo.

That group deserved to win last the short series last year, and they deserve to pitch the short series again this year.

Cingrani to the pen as also an easy call. He can pitch there, and he's been incredibly effective when used there this year. He's a weapon in the post-season, especially when you consider that Latos and Arroyo both tend to get hit hard when they reach whatever "wall" they hit later in games.
    Who pitches the 4th game, you are a starter short.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Since the All-Star break, the Reds rearranged their rotation, pitching Latos and Bailey back to back. Most "experts" contend that you split up pitchers with similar style/speed when possible. Or, in the Reds' case, inserting Arroyo, Cingrani (LH) or Leake between them. In last night's postgame show Welsh commented silimilar views when discussing Arroyo's success.

Could this possibly explain some of Bailey's inconsistecy? I realize his turn sometimes comes at the beginning of a series (this Brewers series), but still makes sense to split Bailey and Latos whenever possible, imo.

Oh, the playoffs? For me: One game playoff or Divisional Series - Latos, then Arroyo, Bailey, Leake. Cingrani and Cueto to the pen. Yeah, I think Cueto will be ready but not as a starter.
    Last edited by Old NDN; 08-25-2013 at 10:18 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Old NDN View Post
    Since the All-Star break, the Reds rearranged their rotation, pitching Latos and Bailey back to back. Most "experts" contend that you split up pitchers with similar style/speed when possible. Or, in the Reds' case, inserting Arroyo, Cingrani (LH) or Leake between them. In last night's postgame show Welsh commented silimilar views when discussing Arroyo's success.

Could this possibly explain some of Bailey's inconsistecy? I realize his turn sometimes comes at the beginning of a series (this Brewers series), but still makes sense to split Bailey and Latos whenever possible, imo.

Oh, the playoffs? For me: One game playoff or Divisional Series - Latos, then Arroyo, Bailey, Leake. Cingrani and Cueto to the pen. Yeah, I think Cueto will be ready but not as a starter.
    Mostly agree, but I'm in the camp that you can't give good line-ups three looks at a pitcher and expect him to get through unscathed. If somebody is rolling along, of course let him roll, but I'd try to have two starting pitchers available to pitch every game. Even if the starter is doing OK, I probably wouldn't let him go through the opposing line-up for a 3rd time. That means 4 or 5 inning starts with a second guy coming in for two or three innings to get the game to the normal point where the pen would take over. With that in mind, and the more frequent off days in the post season, I wonder if they could get by with a 3 man rotation. Let Latos pair with Leake, Arroyo with Cingrani and maybe Bailey and Cueto team up. I think that would really prevent opposing hitters from getting comfortable. If somebody is rolling and can go 7 or 8 innings, then the counterpart starter wouldn't pitch and would be available to make that 4th start to allow the guy to get sufficient rest.
    "All I can tell them is pick a good one and sock it." --BABE RUTH

Having better players makes "the right time" or "the big hit" happen a lot more often. PLUS PLUS

Would anyone start Bailey in a 1 game playoff at Pittsburgh due to his success there recently, despite believing Latos a superior pitcher?

It would also set them up better for the next round should they win.

Danger is my business! oneupper's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by kaldaniels View Post
    Would anyone start Bailey in a 1 game playoff at Pittsburgh due to his success there recently, despite believing Latos a superior pitcher?

I might. But I doubt Dusty would.
    "A person is smart. People are dumb, panicky, dangerous animals and you know it."

http://dalmady.blogspot.com

Quote Originally Posted by Billy Hamilton's Legs View Post
    In the case where either the Reds win the division or advance to the NLDS via the wildcard, who is the 4th starter (assuming Cueto is done for the season)?

A reminder, this question is who WILL be the starter, not who should. I would almost guarantee the first three spots would be occupied by some order of Bailey, Latos, and Arroyo. But who gets the fourth spot, Cingrani or Leake? I have trouble seeing Dusty giving the job to Cingrani considering Dusty is so partial to Leake. However, what if the lineup of the opposing team is heavily lefty? Underlying this is that Leake's peripherals suggest perhaps he's playing a bit over his head and Cingrani's suggest he's a really damn good pitcher in the making. What do you think happens? Is it all up to Dusty or do Walt and Price get a say?
    Lol....Dusty isn't partial to Leake, more than Cingrani yes, but not in general.

I wouldn't....stuff and stats good against Pirates but outcomes have not been. Regardless, I trust all Reds starters against the Pirates....I don't trust our plate approaches and overall offense though.

I think it's definitely a smart move. Dusty is all about those matchup splits, so I wouldnt' be surprised if it happened too.
    Just call me Legs

Turn Off Ads?