Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 9 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: How in the world is Jay Bruce only SLGing .487?

rest in power, king Wonderful Monds's Avatar

How in the world is Jay Bruce only SLGing .487?

This is the craziest case of stats not meeting perception for me. He has 27 HR and 38 doubles, so he's definitely hitting for power. He'll probably get those up to the next round numbers. He's got a pretty decently average average too, at .267, so that's not sinking it either.

How in the world is he not slugging in the mid 500s? He's got legitimate power hitter numbers. Is he not hitting enough triples or something? I quite simply am shocked by that number.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: How in the world is Jay Bruce only SLGing .487?

A zillion AB doesn't help.

Droll, yes. Quite droll. FlightRick's Avatar

Bruce leads the NL in extra-base hits, and is second in total bases. This might lead one to think he'd have a higher slugging percentage.

After today, he'll be either 5th or 6th in the NL in Outs Made. This should lead one to realize the folly of one's ways.

Rick

Jay's walk pct is the lowest since 2008 down to just over 8%. Those are extra outs and are knocking down his slugging percentage.

You got it now? Lol

See Garrett Anderson

K's and Walks. That's what keeps his SLG down (as well as his BA, OBP, OPS, etc). Those two areas are his only weaknesses, IMO. He's the best RF in the NL and I'll gladly take another 10-12 years of the current Jay.

Quote Originally Posted by New York Red View Post
    K's and Walks. That's what keeps his SLG down (as well as his BA, OBP, OPS, etc). Those two areas are his only weaknesses, IMO. He's the best RF in the NL and I'll gladly take another 10-12 years of the current Jay.
    In terms of the actual calculation, of course, number of walks isn't included.

Slugging percentage is total bases over at bats. So it's singles, doubles (x2), triples (x3) and homers (x4) added together and then divided by at bats.

Jay only has 81 singles. That's fifth best on the Reds, behind Votto, Phillips, Choo and Cozart.

If Jay had twenty more singles, his SLG would be .524.

Jay also only has one triple. If he had his exact same XBHs and singles but added five more triples, he'd be at .515.

But generally his .267 BA is the culprit. He just needs to hit more singles to go along with his extra base hits. By the way, if he added 20 more singles, Jay would have a BA of .304. to go with a .524 SLG. If he added 10 singles he'd be at .285 BA and an SLG of .505.
    Last edited by Kc61; 09-07-2013 at 10:51 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Kc61 View Post
    NYRed, walks are not included in the SLG calculation as I understand it.

Slugging percentage is total bases over at bats. So it's singles, doubles (x2), triples (x3) and homers (x4) added together and then divided by at bats.

Jay only has 81 singles. That's fifth best on the Reds, behind Votto, Phillips, Choo and Cozart.

If Jay had twenty more singles, his SLG would be .524.

Jay also only has one triple. If he had his exact same XBHs and singles but added five more triples, he'd be at .515.

But generally his .267 BA is the culprit. He just needs to hit more singles to go along with his extra base hits. By the way, if he added 20 more singles, Jay would have a BA of .304. to go with a .524 SLG. If he added 10 singles he'd be at .285 BA and an SLG of .505.
    I assumed he meant his lack of walks.

Quote Originally Posted by Ironman92 View Post
    Yes, I just edited to make that clear. Turning walks into outs hurts.

But the main point is that the .267 BA is indeed the culprit. The missing piece is the good old fashioned single. It keeps his BA and SLG down.

Just guessing that the Reds may be low in singles generally. They have a low BA and lower than usual SLG, both, this year.

Change some of the outs to walks and that would lower his total at bats which would raise his SLG

Quote Originally Posted by Ironman92 View Post
    Yes. I assumed it was obvious. I should have been more clear. Same with K's. That doesn't directly impact SLG, but if he had 80 fewer K's, that's 80 more batted balls put into play, and you have to figure some of those are falling in for hits, or going out of the ballpark.

Quote Originally Posted by Raisor View Post
    Change some of the outs to walks and that would lower his total at bats which would raise his SLG
    Yep.

Yes, Jay has an 8.5% walk rate, which is a bit low for him.

But his OBP is .330, which I think is just fine.

Not worth a big argument, everybody is correct, but I think Jay needs to hit closer to .280 than .267. That should get him to .500 SLG with the current walk rate.

More walks would help too, obviously.

Bruce has never been a high walk guy, he is what he is. (A very dangerous hitter... sometimes)

Slugging .487 in less at bats would be equally likely.

Turn Off Ads?