Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Rational Reds Outlook

Rational Reds Outlook

I am fortunate have insight from a first hand perspective of the game of baseball. My experience doesn't make me "correct", and the typical fan a moron, but I would like it to be noted, I have high level experience in the game of baseball. So when I watch games, I see things often many fans overlook, and I typically view the game in a different way.

I often times wonder about in game managing from Dusty, however I also understand the absolute importance of having a manager, "guys like to play for". The manager always gets too much credit when things are going to well, and far too much heat when things are going south. Players win... Managers lose.

I am NOT suggesting Dusty is an idiot with his lineups, managing style, or anything else... but I would like to give some insight on things I have picked up on after watching more Reds baseball this year, than ever.

IF we are not going to bunt, steal, hit & run... then we should adapt our lineup accordingly. We have one of the best hitters in baseball consistently coming up to the plate with no one on base.

Votto is taking a lot of heat for his lack of run producing production, but give me a damn break people.... the guy is hitting 40 points higher than anyone else on the team. He doesn't need to hit 40 HR's a year or drive in 100 RBI, which is very misleading.. to "earn" his money. If he continues to hit .325, 25 HR and get on base at a .435 clip.... I will gladly take it the next 10 years.

So, if we are just going to play station to station on the base paths, then why not hit Votto 2nd?
    Choo
    Votto
    Phillips
    Bruce
    Ludwick
    Frazier
    Cozart
    Hanigan/Meso

I want some others opinions... this wouldn't fix all the issues, however I do think it could produce more scoring chances, and bigger innings.

Lastly... Chapman is fine, the bullpen is fabulous, I wouldn't trade our 1-5 starters for anyone's. Be thankful... just for a damn second, that Walt, Bob, and all else involved are putting a team worth watching on the field at GABP.

2. Likes:

mth123 (08-25-2013)

3. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Rational Reds Outlook

THis is an internet message board...you can't be rational here!
    "I had a cigar in my back pocket...I didn't wanna break it." - Bartholomew "Bump" Bailey

5. Likes:

markymark69 (08-20-2013)

Quote Originally Posted by KYBatsFan View Post
    THis is an internet message board...you can't be rational here!
    Truer words were never spoken. I've already tried it and it doesn't work well.

CEO - Hal Morris Fanclub OC_Red's Avatar

Perhaps if you change the title to "Outrageous and flamboyant Reds outlook with cherry-picked stats supporting Joey Votto as most unclutch hitter in history" you will receive the prized "Don Cameron Award for Superlative Trolling" and become an overnight sensation on Redszone!

(I actually liked your post, but if I click "like" then I will be accused of being rational as well...and I am still in the running for the "Hal Morris Medal of decent snark ability")

I do understand its message boards, and by the looks of it.... If even the slightest intelligence is divulged... many rather not post or respond because their flamboyant ideas would be shot down. I just find it funny how so many have these lineup posts, and not a single person I know of, has argued the idea of Votto hitting second...

Votto hitting second has been talking about on this forum as well as some articles around baseball (or at the least articles about your best hitter batting 2nd).

I think part of the reason it isn't talked about a lot is because I don't think anybody feels like it is a move Dusty would ever make. First, hitting your best hitter 2nd is new age stuff that Dusty really isn't into, and 2nd, Dusty would have to do that awful thing of writing lefties back to back on the lineup card.

Quote Originally Posted by LoyalRed View Post
    I do understand its message boards, and by the looks of it.... If even the slightest intelligence is divulged... many rather not post or respond because their flamboyant ideas would be shot down. I just find it funny how so many have these lineup posts, and not a single person I know of, has argued the idea of Votto hitting second...
    Read the ORG...

Curious, what is your "insight from a first hand perspective of the game of baseball"?
    UNC Tar Heels 2017 National Champions 6 time NCAA Champs!!!
    57, 82, 93, 05, 09, 17
    Go Heels!!!!!

I assume, I shouldn't have said a "single person"... however when I hear talk shows, read message boards, ect... I rarely see it. I rather not indulge personal information on a message board, but I will say I supported my family with baseball... not as a player, although I do have playing experience.

Actually, many have argued Votto for second. You should hang around and read the ORG board. If he is going to be pitched around why not bat him after Choo and let them score a ton of runs since pitchers won't let him drive any in? Leave the RBIs to BP, Mez, Bruce and Lud.

14. Likes:

OC_Red (08-21-2013)

CEO - Hal Morris Fanclub OC_Red's Avatar

It's an honor, Mr. Jocketty!

I this thread sarcasm?

everyone is happy with the lineup?! I didn´t found a single user who liked it the way it is every day!

there are multiple thread (especially few weeks ago) with nothing but lineup talk...

I would bat votto 2nd aswell and would make some other changes aswell (f.ex. rocco wouldn´t be batting 8 like he should in your lineup...)

dusty has a different philosophy and thinks that lefty/righty is very important, therefore he don´t want to bat lefty´s back to back (bruce should hit cleanup),

=> he wouldn´t like choo hitting infront of votto => votto will never hit 2nd with choo in the leadoff spot...

he often used choo, cozart, votto, bp, bruce because of the lefty/righty situation and because he does like to bunt the leadoff guy over... cozart is one of our faster players and one of our best bunters => in dusty´s mind a good guy in the #2 spot...

17. Likes:

Number_Fourteen (08-26-2013)

I just hope this next few weeks doesnt go so they back into the 2nd wild card and they cant even win a 1 game playoff much less beat the Cardinals.. Im sick of being the Cardinals Step Sister.. the team doesnt show the fire the Cardinals do and I hope this isnt the closest we ever get to winning anything (NOT just a division, who cares. The World Series is what fans want!), before they say they cant afford anybody

Any realistic hope I had went out the window when it was reported after last season that Dusty was coming back. He's basically baseball's version of Marty Schottenheimer.

20. Likes:

CoachBombay (08-27-2013)

I completely agree. I think a lineup of:

Choo
    Votto
    Phillips
    Bruce
    Ludwick
    Frazier
    Mesoraco
    Cozart

This lineup is constructed to score runs. Votto may not be pitched around if Choo is already on base and zero outs and Phillips and Bruce coming to the plate. It is seriously embarrassing to look at lineups of our opponents and to have their fans look up and see .230 hitters batting 2nd in our lineup in front of a .300 hitter. As evidenced last night and most nights, we find it hard to score more than 3 maybe 4 runs a game. Anything at this point would help.
    2015 Attendance 2-1 (4/6, 4/7,4/24)
    2014 Attendance 1-3 (3/31, 4/12, 8/14)
    2013 Attendance: 6-0 (4/3, 4/16, 4/17, 8/3, 8/21, 9/7)

Turn Off Ads?