Turn Off Ads?
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Reds considering logistics of September callups

Re: Reds considering logistics of September callups

Quote Originally Posted by HatchMo View Post
    The reds have enough players on DL they are flexible to do what they need to.
    Guys currently on the DL don't help in this regard. Your pool is basically your 25 man roster at midnight on Aug 31 plus anyone on the DL at that time. If one of those 25 get injured and go on the DL, they can be replaced.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Quote Originally Posted by swaisuc View Post
    Guys currently on the DL don't help in this regard. Your pool is basically your 25 man roster at midnight on Aug 31 plus anyone on the DL at that time. If one of those 25 get injured and go on the DL, they can be replaced.
    I thought there was some wiggle room where if you have a position player on the 60 man DL, you can swap a separate position player for a position player on the 25 man roster.

If you have a pitcher on the 60 day DL, you can do the same with two different pitchers. As I recall, this is how the Reds got Chapman on the post season roster in 2010 even though he wasn't called up until Sept 1.
    Quote Originally Posted by BuckeyeRed27 View Post
    Honest I can't say it any better than Hoosier Red did in his post, he sums it up basically perfectly.

Quote Originally Posted by Hoosier Red View Post
    I thought there was some wiggle room where if you have a position player on the 60 man DL, you can swap a separate position player for a position player on the 25 man roster.

If you have a pitcher on the 60 day DL, you can do the same with two different pitchers. As I recall, this is how the Reds got Chapman on the post season roster in 2010 even though he wasn't called up until Sept 1.
    Actually, it looks like you're right about being able to replace guys who have always been on the DL. That doesn't make very much sense, but whatever. So we will have plenty of "replacements" available.

-The Insider-

Lutz is currently injured. If he is out for the remainder of the season they could call him up and place him on the 60-day DL. That would open up a spot for Billy but would have Lutz accumulate service time. (Also, Freeman or Lotzkar being removed would work as well.)

Billy is eligible for the Rule-V draft this off-season so even if his bat isn't ready right now it would be silly to not bring him up for his speed alone. It could pay dividends in the final month.

Quote Originally Posted by cinreds21 View Post
    Lutz is currently injured. If he is out for the remainder of the season they could call him up and place him on the 60-day DL. That would open up a spot for Billy but would have Lutz accumulate service time. (Also, Freeman or Lotzkar being removed would work as well.)

Billy is eligible for the Rule-V draft this off-season so even if his bat isn't ready right now it would be silly to not bring him up for his speed alone. It could pay dividends in the final month.
    The Reds called up Kris Negron last year, and put him on the DL on Aug 31, so Walt knows how to play that game. At this point the Reds must have all weapons available.

This is kind of getting ugly. Broxton is likely done for this year, and maybe half of next. Marshall and Cueto in limbo, Cingrani sounds like he will be ok(no guarantee).

Michael Lorenzen? Greg Reynolds? Trade for an arm?
    Hugs, smiling, and interactive Twitter accounts, don't mean winning baseball. Until this community understands that we are cursed to relive the madness.

Lorenzen or Stephenson make more sense for bullpen arms than anyone else, IMHO. Though I wonder if the Reds would want their clocks started so soon.

Freeman is hurt and could be brought up and put on the 60 day DL. He has not appeared in a game since April 20th.
    http://www.milb.com/milb/stats/stats...pbp&pid=543178

I like how the ESPN site splits up the roster by position, DL and MiLB.
    http://espn.go.com/mlb/team/roster/_...incinnati-reds
    Last edited by klw; 08-22-2013 at 09:44 AM.

-The Insider-

But do note that if you call someone up and place them on the 60-day DL, you can only replace them with that type of player (pitcher for pitcher, position player for position player.)

Quote Originally Posted by cinreds21 View Post
    But do note that if you call someone up and place them on the 60-day DL, you can only replace them with that type of player (pitcher for pitcher, position player for position player.)
    That is true after Sept 1.

Before September 1, they can do whatever they want.
    Hugs, smiling, and interactive Twitter accounts, don't mean winning baseball. Until this community understands that we are cursed to relive the madness.

Quote Originally Posted by klw View Post
    Freeman is hurt and could be brought up and put on the 60 day DL. He has not appeared in a game since April 20th.
    http://www.milb.com/milb/stats/stats...pbp&pid=543178

I like how the ESPN site splits up the roster by position, DL and MiLB.
    http://espn.go.com/mlb/team/roster/_...incinnati-reds
    Not to derail this....but what happened to Freeman?

-The Insider-

Quote Originally Posted by LoganBuck View Post
    That is true after Sept 1.

Before September 1, they can do whatever they want.
    Yeah, that's what I meant.

https://twitter.com/b_ham_3

billy hamilton ‏@b_ham_3 14m
    “@_crouse_: @b_ham_3 sept call piece or what?”bro I'm hoping I haven't heard anything yet

Quote Originally Posted by klw View Post
    https://twitter.com/b_ham_3

billy hamilton ‏@b_ham_3 14m
    That's because Jocketty has been in a coma since opening day.
    Attended 1976 World Series in my Mother's Womb. Attended 1990 World Series Game 2 as a 13 year old. Want to take my son to a a World Series Game in Cincinnati in my lifetime.

It'd be awesome to see him up here in Denver tomorrow (Billy).

John Fay ‏@johnfayman 4m
    Monday Cmiller, Hamilton, soto Monday.#reds
    John Fay ‏@johnfayman 5m
    Partch, HRodriguez, droning on Sunday. #reds @Cincienquirer
    I assume "droning" is Derrick Robinson and not one of the announcers

John Fay ‏@johnfayman 7m
    Will have the rest of call-ups shortly. Some will join team Sunday. #reds
    John Fay ‏@johnfayman 8m
    Hamilton will get a call-up. Will meet team Monday in Cincinnati #reds @Cincienquirer
    John Fay ‏@johnfayman 10m
    Christiani optioned. Freeman designated. #reds @Cincienquirer
    Last edited by klw; 08-30-2013 at 06:42 PM.

Turn Off Ads?