Turn Off Ads?
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Results 16 to 30 of 31

Thread: Reds considering logistics of September callups

  1. #16
    Member
    Join Date
    May 2002
    Location
    Cincy
    Posts
    937

    Re: Reds considering logistics of September callups

    Quote Originally Posted by HatchMo View Post
    The reds have enough players on DL they are flexible to do what they need to.
    Guys currently on the DL don't help in this regard. Your pool is basically your 25 man roster at midnight on Aug 31 plus anyone on the DL at that time. If one of those 25 get injured and go on the DL, they can be replaced.

  2. Turn Off Ads?
  3. #17
    Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2001
    Location
    Indianapolis, IN
    Posts
    7,134

    Re: Reds considering logistics of September callups

    Quote Originally Posted by swaisuc View Post
    Guys currently on the DL don't help in this regard. Your pool is basically your 25 man roster at midnight on Aug 31 plus anyone on the DL at that time. If one of those 25 get injured and go on the DL, they can be replaced.
    I thought there was some wiggle room where if you have a position player on the 60 man DL, you can swap a separate position player for a position player on the 25 man roster.

    If you have a pitcher on the 60 day DL, you can do the same with two different pitchers. As I recall, this is how the Reds got Chapman on the post season roster in 2010 even though he wasn't called up until Sept 1.
    When people say that I donít know what Iím talking about when it comes to sports or writing, I think: Man, you should see me in the rest of my life.
    ---Joe Posnanski

  4. #18
    Member
    Join Date
    May 2002
    Location
    Cincy
    Posts
    937

    Re: Reds considering logistics of September callups

    Quote Originally Posted by Hoosier Red View Post
    I thought there was some wiggle room where if you have a position player on the 60 man DL, you can swap a separate position player for a position player on the 25 man roster.

    If you have a pitcher on the 60 day DL, you can do the same with two different pitchers. As I recall, this is how the Reds got Chapman on the post season roster in 2010 even though he wasn't called up until Sept 1.
    Actually, it looks like you're right about being able to replace guys who have always been on the DL. That doesn't make very much sense, but whatever. So we will have plenty of "replacements" available.

  5. #19
    -The Insider-
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Posts
    2,869

    Re: Reds considering logistics of September callups

    Lutz is currently injured. If he is out for the remainder of the season they could call him up and place him on the 60-day DL. That would open up a spot for Billy but would have Lutz accumulate service time. (Also, Freeman or Lotzkar being removed would work as well.)

    Billy is eligible for the Rule-V draft this off-season so even if his bat isn't ready right now it would be silly to not bring him up for his speed alone. It could pay dividends in the final month.

  6. #20
    I hate the Cubs LoganBuck's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2003
    Posts
    6,114

    Re: Reds considering logistics of September callups

    Quote Originally Posted by cinreds21 View Post
    Lutz is currently injured. If he is out for the remainder of the season they could call him up and place him on the 60-day DL. That would open up a spot for Billy but would have Lutz accumulate service time. (Also, Freeman or Lotzkar being removed would work as well.)

    Billy is eligible for the Rule-V draft this off-season so even if his bat isn't ready right now it would be silly to not bring him up for his speed alone. It could pay dividends in the final month.
    The Reds called up Kris Negron last year, and put him on the DL on Aug 31, so Walt knows how to play that game. At this point the Reds must have all weapons available.

    This is kind of getting ugly. Broxton is likely done for this year, and maybe half of next. Marshall and Cueto in limbo, Cingrani sounds like he will be ok(no guarantee).

    Michael Lorenzen? Greg Reynolds? Trade for an arm?
    The Sox traded Bullfrog the only player they've got for Shottenhoffen. Four-eyes Shottenhoffen a utility infielder. They've got a whole team of utility infielders.

  7. #21
    Member OesterPoster's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    West-central Ohio
    Posts
    2,042

    Re: Reds considering logistics of September callups

    Lorenzen or Stephenson make more sense for bullpen arms than anyone else, IMHO. Though I wonder if the Reds would want their clocks started so soon.

  8. #22
    Member klw's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    New England
    Posts
    6,053

    Re: Reds considering logistics of September callups

    Freeman is hurt and could be brought up and put on the 60 day DL. He has not appeared in a game since April 20th.
    http://www.milb.com/milb/stats/stats...pbp&pid=543178


    I like how the ESPN site splits up the roster by position, DL and MiLB.
    http://espn.go.com/mlb/team/roster/_...incinnati-reds
    Last edited by klw; 08-22-2013 at 09:44 AM.

  9. #23
    -The Insider-
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Posts
    2,869

    Re: Reds considering logistics of September callups

    But do note that if you call someone up and place them on the 60-day DL, you can only replace them with that type of player (pitcher for pitcher, position player for position player.)

  10. #24
    I hate the Cubs LoganBuck's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2003
    Posts
    6,114

    Re: Reds considering logistics of September callups

    Quote Originally Posted by cinreds21 View Post
    But do note that if you call someone up and place them on the 60-day DL, you can only replace them with that type of player (pitcher for pitcher, position player for position player.)
    That is true after Sept 1.

    Before September 1, they can do whatever they want.
    The Sox traded Bullfrog the only player they've got for Shottenhoffen. Four-eyes Shottenhoffen a utility infielder. They've got a whole team of utility infielders.

  11. #25
    Member crazybob60's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Location
    Bowling Green, KY
    Posts
    968

    Re: Reds considering logistics of September callups

    Quote Originally Posted by klw View Post
    Freeman is hurt and could be brought up and put on the 60 day DL. He has not appeared in a game since April 20th.
    http://www.milb.com/milb/stats/stats...pbp&pid=543178


    I like how the ESPN site splits up the roster by position, DL and MiLB.
    http://espn.go.com/mlb/team/roster/_...incinnati-reds
    Not to derail this....but what happened to Freeman?

  12. #26
    -The Insider-
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Posts
    2,869

    Re: Reds considering logistics of September callups

    Quote Originally Posted by LoganBuck View Post
    That is true after Sept 1.

    Before September 1, they can do whatever they want.
    Yeah, that's what I meant.

  13. #27
    Member klw's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    New England
    Posts
    6,053

    Re: Reds considering logistics of September callups

    https://twitter.com/b_ham_3

    billy hamilton ‏@b_ham_3 14m
    “@_crouse_: @b_ham_3 sept call piece or what?”bro I'm hoping I haven't heard anything yet

  14. #28
    Member powersackers's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Posts
    1,336

    Re: Reds considering logistics of September callups

    Quote Originally Posted by klw View Post
    https://twitter.com/b_ham_3

    billy hamilton ‏@b_ham_3 14m
    That's because Jocketty has been in a coma since opening day.
    Attended 1976 World Series in my Mother's Womb. Attended 1990 World Series Game 2 as a 13 year old. Want to take my son to a a World Series Game in Cincinnati in my lifetime.

  15. #29
    Member SirFelixCat's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2002
    Location
    Denver, CO
    Posts
    5,923

    Re: Reds considering logistics of September callups

    It'd be awesome to see him up here in Denver tomorrow (Billy).

  16. #30
    Member klw's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    New England
    Posts
    6,053

    Re: Reds considering logistics of September callups

    John Fay ‏@johnfayman 4m
    Monday Cmiller, Hamilton, soto Monday.#reds
    John Fay ‏@johnfayman 5m
    Partch, HRodriguez, droning on Sunday. #reds @Cincienquirer
    I assume "droning" is Derrick Robinson and not one of the announcers



    John Fay ‏@johnfayman 7m
    Will have the rest of call-ups shortly. Some will join team Sunday. #reds
    John Fay ‏@johnfayman 8m
    Hamilton will get a call-up. Will meet team Monday in Cincinnati #reds @Cincienquirer
    John Fay ‏@johnfayman 10m
    Christiani optioned. Freeman designated. #reds @Cincienquirer
    Last edited by klw; 08-30-2013 at 06:42 PM.


Turn Off Ads?

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Board Moderators may, at their discretion and judgment, delete and/or edit any messages that violate any of the following guidelines: 1. Explicit references to alleged illegal or unlawful acts. 2. Graphic sexual descriptions. 3. Racial or ethnic slurs. 4. Use of edgy language (including masked profanity). 5. Direct personal attacks, flames, fights, trolling, baiting, name-calling, general nuisance, excessive player criticism or anything along those lines. 6. Posting spam. 7. Each person may have only one user account. It is fine to be critical here - that's what this board is for. But let's not beat a subject or a player to death, please.

Thank you, and most importantly, enjoy yourselves!


RedsZone.com is a privately owned website and is not affiliated with the Cincinnati Reds or Major League Baseball


Contact us: Boss | GIK | BCubb2003 | dabvu2498 | Gallen5862 | LexRedsFan | Plus Plus | RedlegJake | redsfan1995 | The Operator | Tommyjohn25