Turn Off Ads?
Page 5 of 15 FirstFirst 123456789 ... LastLast

Thread: Joey Votto - 'I want every single RBI, every single run'

Re: Joey Votto - 'I want every single RBI, every single run'

MLB Network ‏@MLBNetwork 3m
    #FaceofMLB winner and @Reds 1B Joey Votto sits down to talk with @SamRyanMLB about his hitting approach on #MLBTonight, LIVE at 6pE.

2. Likes:

wheels (08-21-2013)

3. Turn Off Ads?

Quote Originally Posted by Always Red View Post

How many times this year alone has Marty said "he's not paid to walk."

I wish Marty would walk....walk out of the announcer's booth, walk out of Great American Ball Park, and walk out of Cincinnati.
    "Hey...Dad. Wanna Have A Catch?" Kevin Costner in "Field Of Dreams."

5. Likes:

HokieRed (08-20-2013), REDREAD (08-21-2013), Slyder (08-20-2013), smixsell (08-20-2013), The Operator (08-22-2013)

Potential Lunch Winner Dom Heffner's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by westofyou View Post
    Dusty was an All Star player and a hitting coach and I'll take his askew approach to baseball hitting any day over the Brennamen's lack of understanding of the game beyond their small world view
    That's kinda like saying you'll take celery over beets.
    I'm interested in jobs and you won't create jobs by forcing employers to pay their employees $9/hr- Sea Ray
    I'd say min wage should be about $9/hr - Sea Ray

Quote Originally Posted by HokieRed View Post
    Past time for some changes in the Reds broadcast crew, IMHO.
    WAY past time.

Quote Originally Posted by Dom Heffner View Post
    That's kinda like saying you'll take celery over beets.
    I loath celery, love beets

9. Likes:

SirFelixCat (08-20-2013)

Bizarre, isnt it?

They love to run their best out of town and embrace the average.
    Really? Who of the "best" have the Reds out of town? Griffey came here in the prime of his career. Larkin played here literally his entire career. Bench played here his entire career. Rose played here 19 years. Votto likely will play here his entire career.

I must have missed where the Reds/fans/media have run "the best out of town."

Adam Dunn? Sure, maybe, but he's played for 3 teams since leaving. I don't think anyone would consider him "the best." Eric Davis? Before my town, might have been run out of town, good player, not "the best" either though.
    Last edited by reds44; 08-20-2013 at 06:53 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by PuffyPig View Post
    Let's face it, you mis-hit the bun with the mustard squirter, no one will really care.

11. Likes:

bucksfan2 (08-21-2013), RANDY IN INDY (08-20-2013)

Stat Wanker Hodiernus RedsManRick's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by *BaseClogger* View Post
    When you're watching a Reds game and Choo comes to the plate, do you feel like the eight best hitter in MLB just stepped into the box?
    Most productive to date in 2013 and "best" are hardly the same thing.

But of course, the "feel" method of measurement isn't exactly the most reliable. I would submit that Votto and Choo are both case in point in that our instincts around hitting production are based more on aesthetics than actual run production. Guys who walk don't feel like their as good as hitters as guys who make a lot of contact; it doesn't mean that's true.
    Games are won on run differential -- scoring more than your opponent. Runs are runs, scored or prevented they all count the same. Worry about scoring more and allowing fewer, not which positions contribute to which side of the equation or how "consistent" you are at your current level of performance.

Stat Wanker Hodiernus RedsManRick's Avatar

Yes, yes, yes!

RBI's are contextual- Just look at Joe Carter, for God's sake. Yeah, you put Alomar and Molitor ahead of him and wow, suddenly hitting .250 you are a huge run "producer"!

Tony Perez- okay hitter, lots of OPPORTUNITES.

That is the context- opportunities.

Choo only has 38 RBI's, nobody says anything about that. It's because 1) he leads off which is 25% of his opportunities and 2) he has the 7th, 8th, and 9th hitters ahead of him the rest of the game.

Our two hole has been so bad that Votto is essentially a lead off hitter most of the game after his first at bat.

I will never, ever, ever, ever get blaming the best player on a team...this is like upside-down world for me.
    Of course, you're talking to a fanbase who thinks the world of Tony Perez and would run you out of town if you suggested he was just a pretty good hitter with a lot of RBI opportunities and not a no-doubt HOF stud.
    Games are won on run differential -- scoring more than your opponent. Runs are runs, scored or prevented they all count the same. Worry about scoring more and allowing fewer, not which positions contribute to which side of the equation or how "consistent" you are at your current level of performance.

I transcribed these quotes from the MLB Network interview:

Votto: "One thing I know about myself: I really don't think I'm that good."
    Ryan: "Good at what?"
    Votto: "I don't think I'm that good at hitting. I think I'm a good decision-maker and I think I know what I can and can't do. I feel like a lot of the preparation I do behind the scenes and a lot of the decisions I make at the plate compensate for a lot of my lesser qualities.

"You know, baseball is not a game of just talent. I think it's the type of game where you have to grind. You have to be a good decision-maker. You have to know your weaknesses. You have to try not to do too much. And you have to do it every day. I think those are my best attributes."

Ryan: What's the most important stat to you?
    Votto: If I were to just judge a player, I'd probably take his Wins Above Replacement over 2 or 3 years. The Wins Above Replacement give you a rough idea of how good he is defensively, Baserunning, does he steal bases? Does he take the extra base? So those things have a lot of value. I also really like the number OPS. I think it gives you a really good idea of how good an offensive player the guy is."
    Last edited by Norm Chortleton; 08-20-2013 at 07:20 PM.

15. Likes:

*BaseClogger* (08-21-2013)

Quote Originally Posted by RedsManRick View Post
    Of course, you're talking to a fanbase who thinks the world of Tony Perez and would run you out of town if you suggested he was just a pretty good hitter with a lot of RBI opportunities and not a no-doubt HOF stud.
    I'm being a little hard on Doggy but his Baseball Reference page made him go down a bit from what I thought of as a child.
    I'm interested in jobs and you won't create jobs by forcing employers to pay their employees $9/hr- Sea Ray

17. Likes:

Always Red (08-20-2013)

Quote Originally Posted by reds44 View Post
    Really? Who of the "best" have the Reds out of town? Griffey came here in the prime of his career. Larkin played here literally his entire career. Bench played here his entire career. Rose played here 19 years. Votto likely will play here his entire career.

I must have missed where the Reds/fans/media have run "the best out of town."

Adam Dunn? Sure, maybe, but he's played for 3 teams since leaving. I don't think anyone would consider him "the best." Eric Davis? Before my town, might have been run out of town, good player, not "the best" either though.
    Yes. You missed it.

Quote Originally Posted by westofyou View Post
    I loath celery, love beets
    You are a sick man, WOY.

Ryan: Do you think the 2010 season -- MVP season, hitting the 37 HRs -- do you think that was almost a negative thing moving forward, because people expect that now?
    Votto: The following season I felt like I really played well. I played well defensively. I ran the bases well. I felt like I was a smarter hitter. I was pitched around a little bit more. And I didn't have the matching home runs. I didn't have as many RBI. I felt like "that doesn't make any sense; I feel like I'm a better player this year."

That's why I think Wins Above Replacement is a fair number, because it said I was roughly the same type of player. It's comforting to know that there is more than just the home runs.Had I hit 37 home runs in back-to-back years everyone would have said "he is the exact same player." But the following year I didn't and I felt like I improved; I'm a better player.

Quote Originally Posted by Larkin Fan View Post
    It's been the same story for years.

Adam Dunn, Barry Larkin, Junior, Eric Davis. The list goes on and on for Marty's favorite whipping boy.
    What was Marty's issues with Larkin? Injuries?

http://cincinnati.reds.mlb.com/news/...=.jsp&c_id=cin

"When we got to my floor, [Griffey] put his briefcase in front of the door and said, 'You got a minute?'" Brennaman told MLB.com. "He said, 'I want to thank you. You've been very fair to me and I appreciated that.'"
    Yeah Junior hated Marty
    Quote Originally Posted by PuffyPig View Post
    Let's face it, you mis-hit the bun with the mustard squirter, no one will really care.

Turn Off Ads?