Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Walt Jocketty grade before and after April 1, 2013

Walt Jocketty grade before and after April 1, 2013

Before April 1 2013 Walt gets a solid A from me. He put this team in position to win the Central and built a decent playoff roster with a weak but acceptable bench.

After April 1 2013 here's what he's done:

Cincinnati Reds signed free agent RHP Mike MacDougal.
    Cincinnati Reds signed free agent 3B Marquez Smith.
    Arizona Diamondbacks traded 3B Mark Teahen to Cincinnati Reds.
    Cincinnati Reds traded 3B Mark Teahen to Arizona Diamondbacks.
    Cincinnati Reds signed free agent RF Joe Mather.
    Cincinnati Reds signed free agent LF Luis Durango.
    Cincinnati Reds signed free agent RHP Trevor Bell.
    Cincinnati Reds signed free agent OF Sebastian Elizalde.
    Cincinnati Reds signed free agent RHP Shane Dyer.
    Cincinnati Reds signed free agent OF Corey Wimberly.
    Cincinnati Reds signed free agent LHP Zach Duke.
    Cincinnati Reds signed most of the June Draft picks, had a good draft by most accounts
    Cincinnati Reds signed free agent RHP Kanekoa Texeira.
    Cincinnati Reds signed free agent 3B Mike Costanzo
    Colorado Rockies traded RHP Parker Frazier to Cincinnati Reds for RHP Armando Galarraga.
    Cincinnati Reds signed free agent LHP Fabian Williamson.
    Cincinnati Reds signed free agent LHP Zach Duke. (again)
    He managed the injuries to Ludwick, Marshall, Broxton, Hanigan and Cueto with call up such as Corky Miller, Derrick Robinson, Donald Lutz, Neftali Soto, Henry Rodriguez, Greg Reynolds, Curtis Partch, Justin Freeman, and Nick Christiani

So i suppose he did the bare minimum of keeping AAAA players on the minor league rosters and keeping the MLB team at 25 guys with some AAA filler and a couple prospects; but otherwise hasn't "Helped" the team one bit in my opinion. I'd give him a D for the season. A quick Google News search for "Walt Jocketty" produced 200 news stories; do the same for another random GM "Alex Anthopolus" and you get over 2000 news articles. Walt's recent history is just simply quiet.

He's got a day and a half to change that 'D'. Will he do it?
    Last edited by powersackers; 08-30-2013 at 02:49 PM.
    Attended 1976 World Series in my Mother's Womb. Attended 1990 World Series Game 2 as a 13 year old. Want to take my son to a a World Series Game in Cincinnati in my lifetime.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Walt Jocketty grade before and after April 1, 2013

Yeah, he really hasn't done much this year although I didn't expect big changes about the main question marks (Cozart, Frazier, & Ludwick) and he had exhausted a lot of his trade bait before the season even began.

I might give him a C+

I think this coming offseason will be more important and more of a challenge.

I wish Walt was as successful as Alex Anthopolus. Those Blue Jays are in the thick of it right?

On a serious note, I hink Jocketty did what he could with what seems to be pretty severe payroll limitations.

5. Likes:

CarolinaRedleg (08-31-2013)

Walt has been the GM for 6 seasons now and he seems to average about one noteworthy transaction per season at most. Trading for Shin-Soo Choo fulfilled his quota for 2013.

Incidentally, I think "severe payroll limitations" stopped being an excuse when Carl Lindner sold the team.

Quote Originally Posted by AtomicDumpling View Post
    Walt has been the GM for 6 seasons now and he seems to average about one noteworthy transaction per season at most. Trading for Shin-Soo Choo fulfilled his quota for 2013.

Incidentally, I think "severe payroll limitations" stopped being an excuse when Carl Lindner sold the team.

The payroll has gone up about 30 + million since he took over. They had to do smoke and mirrors to get Choo under the budget. The only way Arroyo is still here right now is that he deferred 15 million in salary. Castellini spends on the Reds, but a budget is a budget.

Could he stand to be more flexible on those 24th and 25th man roster spots? Sure, but I'll enjoy the fact that his way has us with a chance at the post season for the 3rd time in 4 seasons.

8. Likes:

marcshoe (08-31-2013),REDREAD (09-03-2013),remdog (08-31-2013)

A difficult thread because we don't have all the information needed to form an opinion. We don't know the limitations Jocketty's had to work with, what he could and could not do...what the owners would allow him to do.

10. Likes:

kbrake (08-31-2013),lollipopcurve (08-31-2013),Old school 1983 (08-31-2013),RedEye (08-31-2013),remdog (08-31-2013),Revering4Blue (08-31-2013)

Walt had to be incredibly creative with the payroll to even get Choo. The guy has very limited options in season.
    This is the time. The real Reds organization is back.

12. Likes:

mth123 (08-31-2013),remdog (08-31-2013)

I think this owner would move the budget to get a player, or some players, that were needed to help this team win. Or at least I thought that before this year.
    I guess attendance was not high enough to warrant such a move, even a small one.

If ludwick can return to last years form, and some if the September calls ups do well and Walt can weasel them onto the post season roster via DL spots, and then the reds go deep in the post season, then Walt may go from dunce to honors student.

Calgary, Alberta, aka, the most prosperous city in the world.

Quote Originally Posted by powersackers View Post
    A quick Google News search for "Walt Jocketty" produced 200 news stories; do the same for another random GM "Alex Anthopolus" and you get over 2000 news articles. Walt's recent history is just simply quiet.
    You've got to be kidding?

You're basing a GM's grade on how many news stories he produces?

16. Likes:

remdog (08-31-2013),Revering4Blue (08-31-2013)

Quote Originally Posted by Cedric View Post
    Walt had to be incredibly creative with the payroll to even get Choo. The guy has very limited options in season.
    Agreed completely, but the question may be whether they could have added Byrd (who would have definitely improved this team regular role or not). My guess is dollars came into play there as well. The Mets probably wanted a significant prospect to deal Byrd or take Buck's money off their hands instead. The Pirates had the ability to take Buck too and the Reds probably did not and that would have increased the talent needed to make the deal. Until what we know what the Mets may have asked for, we'll never know. I'd be surprised if Walt hadn't made the inquiry before deciding whether or not to make a claim on Byrd. My guess is when he saw the talent or dollar cost he decided to pass.

You may want to blame him for not blocking Byrd from the Pirates, but that's a tough call. Doing those kinds of things to your reputation may make things a lot tougher in future dealings, not just with the Mets, but league wide. Word gets out.
    All my posts are my opinion - just like yours are. If I forget to state it and you're too dense to see the obvious, look here!

18. Likes:

REDREAD (09-03-2013),remdog (08-31-2013)

Just A Couple Johnny's OneManBand's Avatar

What's Walt's grade on resigning players? That would of been prior to the season right.. In which you gave him an A. Personally the way they handled the Chapman/Broxton thing was poorly executed. They've now overpaid two relievers to be closers or potential closers (Broxton & Marshall). Acquiring Choo like I've said before was amazing. No one mentions the name Drew Stubbs or Didi Gregorious much if at all.

I think resfandan hit the nail on the head when he said that this offseason should be more challenging. This team is set to lose its lead off hitter and #3 starter. Not easily replaceable. They'll take to draft picks to replenish the farm but the real issue is who is going to replace that talent? Cingrani is a starting point.. But to hope and prey for a 2012 season in which this team used 6 total starters is crazy talk. Billy Hamilton has speed to cover CF but so did Stubbs. The only difference between the two is Stubbs had a little pop in his bat. This years team reminds me of 1999.. May end up finishing like them too. But it's what they did in the 2000 offseason that brought the fan base back and I am hoping money isn't an option when it comes to "Bringing Winning Baseball To Cincinnati." We heard the song and dance before. We are seeing this team win.. But it's winning when it counts that we need to see. Signing core guys was phenomenal and well appreciated.. It's adding in leaders, and other talent that is key. Now grant it, I'm in no way advocating that this team sell the farm for a future hall of famer but I'm advocating that this team be committed to something they've been preaching instead just being satisfied with winning more games then you lose.
    Last edited by OneManBand; 08-31-2013 at 10:03 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by OneManBand View Post
    This years team reminds me of 1999.. May end up finishing like them too. But it's what they did in the 2000 offseason that brought the fan base back and I am hoping money isn't an option when it comes to "Bringing Winning Baseball To Cincinnati."
    What they did in 2000 brought the fan base back? Well it brought them back for a decade of losing futility in what became a disastrous trade. What you are saying does not compute. Are you saying that sarcastically? I'm just trying to understand your point here. If they lose a one game playoff then they better go out and sign a big name in the off season? I mean they've already signed Votto LT. They do need to sign Latos to an extension. Then it seems to me they need to improve the bench and find next year's CFer if Hamilton isn't ready and money is always going to be a factor. It is Cincinnati - it is at best mid market.

Quote Originally Posted by RedlegJake View Post
    What they did in 2000 brought the fan base back? Well it brought them back for a decade of losing futility in what became a disastrous trade. What you are saying does not compute. Are you saying that sarcastically? I'm just trying to understand your point here. If they lose a one game playoff then they better go out and sign a big name in the off season? I mean they've already signed Votto LT. They do need to sign Latos to an extension. Then it seems to me they need to improve the bench and find next year's CFer if Hamilton isn't ready and money is always going to be a factor. It is Cincinnati - it is at best mid market.
    I agree with signing latos long term, but if billy can cover center fine defensively and be adequate offensively, I think the reds will be fine, if they can replace choos production somewhere else. In the offseason I think the reds would be best suited in trying to sign both latos and bailey long term. A second goal would be to bring in some quality right handed bat(s) especially one to bat 4.

Quote Originally Posted by Cedric View Post
    We don't know that at all.

Keep in mind that players are no longer due their whole annual salary. At 7/31 and certainly at 8/31 the player is due only a fraction of his annual salary.

It strikes me that having invested so much time, money and effort in this year's team the Reds would spring for one-sixth of most players' salaries if they thought it would help the team get to the WS. Assuming players on a one-year contract.

My guess is Walt is reluctant to trade prospects from the farm and hasn't been blown away by anyone on the market. He also put a lot of hope in Ludwick, who was signed for two years and is the clean up man.

I think there is also a chance that Walt is planning a major restructuring of the team this coming off-season and wants to hold his assets until he can make broader changes.

But simply a question that the Reds are cash-strapped to the point they can't add a player? Not at all sure of that.

Turn Off Ads?