Turn Off Ads?
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Cingrani leaves in 4th with back injury

Re: Cingrani leaves in 4th with back injury

Quote Originally Posted by Larkin Fan View Post
    No. Medically, a strain simply refers to a muscle or tendon injury. A sprain refers to a ligament injury.

In everyday use, the two are often used interchangeably, which is incorrect.
    Check out the big brain on Larkin Fan!

If Cingrani only needs to miss one start, they could just send him down and bring him back up on September 1st instead of putting him on the DL, right?

2. Turn Off Ads?

Any interest in kicking the tires if Tony is DL'd?

http://http://www.mlbtraderumors.com...matsuzaka.html

Apparently Cingrani had been having trouble with his back but hadn't told anyone. It just got worse last night and finally had to give in to it. I would expect him to miss at least a start or two. I'm sure the Reds will be very cautious with him.

http://cincinnati.com/blogs/reds/201...in-4th-inning/
    Reds Fan Since 1971

http://mlb.mlb.com/mlb/gameday/index...recap&c_id=cin

Cingrani, who laid down a sacrifice bunt in the third, did not identify a specific point when he became injured. He apparently had been feeling some discomfort for a couple of weeks but did not report it to the club.

"It didn't happen with the bunt. It came about gradually and just hurt," said Cingrani, who finished with one run and two hits allowed over 3 2/3 innings. "I'm pitching my next outing. That's for sure. It's not bad."
    http://mlb.mlb.com/news/article.jsp?...k_cin&c_id=cin

CINCINNATI -- After retiring the first 10 batters he faced in a 5-2 loss to the D-backs on Tuesday night, Reds starter Tony Cingrani exited in the fourth inning with a lower back strain. Although it had not been as severe as it was Tuesday, manager Dusty Baker said Cingrani had been hiding the issue from him and the training staff for a couple weeks.

"I felt it before," said Cingrani, who added that he could have pitched through the pain if his manager and trainers would have allowed. "It came on gradually. It hasn't been this bad, and it got pretty bad."

Cingrani blew through the first three innings on 36 pitches. However, Arizona's Martin Prado hit a solo home run with one out in the fourth inning for the D-backs' first hit of the game. Paul Goldschmidt then followed with a walk before Cingrani gave up a double to Aaron Hill after picking Goldschmidt off of first base.

It was then that Cingrani was joined on the mound by pitching coach Bryan Price, head trainer Paul Lessard and Baker, who took the ball from the 24-year-old left-hander, bringing the 16th start of his rookie season to an abrupt end.

"We were quite surprised," Baker said. "He was throwing the ball well, probably as well as he has all year, so for him to say something is wrong with him and for him not to continue, it had to be pretty serious.

"It shocked us all."

Danger is my business! oneupper's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by klw View Post
    Greg Reynolds pitched a complete game in AAA today and would obviously on turn if Cingrani needs at least one start skipped.

http://cincinnati.com/blogs/reds/201...in-4th-inning/
    I know Reynolds wasn't great when he came up last time, but he's been great at AAA this year, with stats that look nothing like his previous years. He may have reinvented himself.
    "A person is smart. People are dumb, panicky, dangerous animals and you know it."

http://dalmady.blogspot.com

Quote Originally Posted by oneupper View Post
    I know Reynolds wasn't great when he came up last time, but he's been great at AAA this year, with stats that look nothing like his previous years. He may have reinvented himself.
    On the bright side, other than that one bad inning, he did ok.
    Obviously, he's not an ace, but I think Reynolds is definitely a passable fill in type guy. We've certainly had worse pitchers in that role over the years.
    [Phil ] Castellini celebrated the team's farm system and noted the team had promising prospects who would one day be great Reds -- and then joke then they'd be ex-Reds, saying "of course we're going to lose them". #SellTheTeamBob

Nov. 13, 2007: One of the greatest days in Reds history: John Allen gets the boot!

Quote Originally Posted by REDREAD View Post
    On the bright side, other than that one bad inning, he did ok.
    Obviously, he's not an ace, but I think Reynolds is definitely a passable fill in type guy. We've certainly had worse pitchers in that role over the years.
    Oh boy, have we.
    "Rounding 3rd and heading for home, good night everybody"

9. Likes:

Tom Servo (08-22-2013)

John Fay ‏@johnfayman 13m
    Cingrani's session today was "so-so," only threw 12 pitches. Trainer says Cingrani is uncomfortable because of low back #reds

So this is a crazy thought. If cingrani can't go for his next start does anyone think it'd be nuts to call up Stephenson to fill his spot? I'm not advocating the move but its a thought in my head.

Quote Originally Posted by Old school 1983 View Post
    So this is a crazy thought. If cingrani can't go for his next start does anyone think it'd be nuts to call up Stephenson to fill his spot? I'm not advocating the move but its a thought in my head.
    Stephenson threw last night so he would not be available for Cingrani's spot on Sunday.

Quote Originally Posted by klw View Post
    Stephenson threw last night so he would not be available for Cingrani's spot on Sunday.
    I did not realize that. Guess that answers my question.

Quote Originally Posted by Old school 1983 View Post
    I did not realize that. Guess that answers my question.
    You need to spend time with us over on the Minor League board...

https://twitter.com/ctrent

While Dusty said no decision had been made, expect Cingrani to go on the 15-day DL. Hope is he can come off and start 9/5 game vs. St Loius

Cingrani said he felt much better, but the decision is not up to him

So he will just miss one start?

It could have been worse.
    "Baseball players are smarter than football players. How often do you see a baseball team penalized for too many men on the field?" ~ Jim Bouton

Titanic Struggles Caveat Emperor's Avatar

Greg Reynolds starting tomorrow, per Dusty.

Nice to have a heads up so I don't waste my time watching this scrub pitch again.
    Cincinnati Reds: Farm System Champions 2022

Turn Off Ads?