Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 8 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Stoops Troops! (UK Football 2013)

Stoops Troops! (UK Football 2013)

Discuss all things UK football here.

The 2014 schedule was released today with a bit of a stunner:

Aug. 30: UT Martin
    Sept. 6: Ohio University
    Sept. 13: at Florida
    Sept. 20: Open
    Sept. 27: Vanderbilt
    Oct. 4: South Carolina
    Oct. 11: ULM
    Oct. 18: at LSU
    Oct. 25: Mississippi State
    Nov. 1: at Missouri
    Nov. 8: Georgia
    Nov. 15: at Tennessee
    Nov. 22: Open
    Nov. 29: at Louisville

Tom Jurich has issued a press statement saying he wanted the game played first every year. It was scheduled last since the SEC-ACC schedules rivalry games the last week of the season (Florida-FSU, Clemson-South Carolina, Georgia-Georgia Tech).
    Quote Originally Posted by savafan View Post
    I've read books about sparkling vampires who walk around in the daylight that were written better than a John Fay article.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Stoops Troops! (UK Football 2013)

I prefer the first game of the year. It's something to be excited about for Labor Day, and you get it out of the way quickly and move on. I suppose we'll get used to it being the last game of the year, but I imagine that will take some of the excitement out of the game some years (when one of the teams absolutely stinks...not exactly a rare occurrence in this series).

Quote Originally Posted by Boston Red View Post
    I prefer the first game of the year. It's something to be excited about for Labor Day, and you get it out of the way quickly and move on. I suppose we'll get used to it being the last game of the year, but I imagine that will take some of the excitement out of the game some years (when one of the teams absolutely stinks...not exactly a rare occurrence in this series).
    I love it myself, both from a football and business perspective.

Business: The first three games will usually sell out anyways and depending on how each season goes, the end of the season usually trails off. Throw in a rivalry game and possible implications and it will be a sellout when a lot of teams don't sell out.

Football: Both teams will be fine tuned and likely ready to go. There is a good possibility that there could be major implications for the game on the line for each team (Louisville a BCS bid, Kentucky trying to get a bowl game alltogether) that would make this a brawl instead of a game. Could be some very intense football games around the corner.
    I've read books about sparkling vampires who walk around in the daylight that were written better than a John Fay article.

I wasn't a fan of it until I heard how much Hoghead was whining about it in the media.

6. Likes:

5TimeWSChamps (08-22-2013)

I love the end of the game. I've been begging for it for a while, actually. Clemson-SC, UGA-GT, UF-FSU. It just makes sense.

part of BBN

Wasnt in favor but guess I'll get used to it.

Quote Originally Posted by WMR View Post
    I wasn't a fan of it until I heard how much Hoghead was whining about it in the media.
    ^ Yep

We're going to have more talent than UL in the very near future. Now that Lewisville has to play in a semi-legitimate conference, attrition will hurt them *almost* to the level that it hurts UK.

I'm not worried about this at all in RE: to Lewisville.

Honestly, it gives us a better chance at having a healthier squad for an important SEC matchup (UT, VU etc. etc.)

So how's this game against Bobby Petrino and WKU gonna go? This has to be the most interesting UK/WKU game ever.

Watch out for the OU Bobcats

Quote Originally Posted by Boston Red View Post
    So how's this game against Bobby Petrino and WKU gonna go? This has to be the most interesting UK/WKU game ever.
    Petrino will be looking for blood. You know firsthand how competitive he is.

I heard a practice report.... the military wishes it was as organized as Bobby P.

Still think UK ends up winning by 7-10+...

This UK team simply doesn't have a ton of talent, and the depth is seriously lacking. I hate to say it, but UL will probably end up winning by 14+ this season. The Joke left the cupboard pretty bare.

Quote Originally Posted by WMR View Post
    Petrino will be looking for blood. You know firsthand how competitive he is.

I heard a practice report.... the military wishes it was as organized as Bobby P.

Still think UK ends up winning by 7-10+...

This UK team simply doesn't have a ton of talent, and the depth is seriously lacking. I hate to say it, but UL will probably end up winning by 14+ this season. The Joke left the cupboard pretty bare.
    My only hope is that Commonwealth will be rocking for the game. If UK can do whatever it can to fill up the stadium and get the fans into it, you never know how a rivalry game will play out.

I'd say Louisville will win, but hopefully they will have to work for it.

part of BBN

Early line:
    Kentucky currently listed as a 4.5 point favorite over WKU

part of BBN

Quote Originally Posted by WVRed View Post

Aug. 30: UT Martin
    Sept. 6: Ohio University
    Sept. 13: at Florida
    Sept. 20: Open
    Sept. 27: Vanderbilt
    Oct. 4: South Carolina
    Oct. 11: ULM
    Oct. 18: at LSU
    Oct. 25: Mississippi State
    Nov. 1: at Missouri
    Nov. 8: Georgia
    Nov. 15: at Tennessee
    Nov. 22: Open
    Nov. 29: at Louisville
    Looking at this schedule and after a hopefully competitive 2013 season, this sets up nicely for UK.
    With a year under Stoops under their belt and a good class coming in, the first 8 games could possibly see UK with a 5-3 record at least. (maybe pulling off an upset at home)
    5 of the first 6 at home and then Miss State at home in game 8.
    Last edited by jmac; 08-23-2013 at 08:30 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by WVRed View Post
    My only hope is that Commonwealth will be rocking for the game.
    Unfortunately, it's a noon game.

Turn Off Ads?