Turn Off Ads?
Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst ... 2345678 LastLast

Thread: Stoops Troops! (UK Football 2013)

Re: Stoops Troops! (UK Football 2013)

Quote Originally Posted by New York Red View Post
    Richard Cheeks? Haha, he's garbage. The fact Larry Vaught allowed him to write an article on his site says a lot about Larry too. This isn't serious journalism.
    Just out of curiosity, what makes Mr. Cheeks "garbage?"
    When all is said and done more is said than done.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Quote Originally Posted by dabvu2498 View Post
    If I'm not mistaken, he is or was a professor at UK who took out a full page ad to get Tubby fired.
    Quote Originally Posted by savafan View Post
    I've read books about sparkling vampires who walk around in the daylight that were written better than a John Fay article.

Longtime internet UK fans know what he is.

Quote Originally Posted by jojo View Post
    UF might have one of the best defenses in the country. It was a a lot to ask of the Wildcat offense concerning a potential upset.
    It wasn't so much Florida's defense but their offense that made them prone to an upset. Kentucky's defense has improved under Stoops and Florida was starting a wide receiver who had been converted to a QB who had taken his first regular season snap the previous week against Tennessee. UK has also played some of its better games under the lights in Commonwealth (Beating Spurrier, upsetting LSU, Louisville, and Woodson throwing 5 TD's in a loss to Florida).

Problem is, I think it would have been a closer game or possibly even an upset if Driskel had been the starter. I've watched Florida a couple of times this year and they just looked out of sync with him as a starter (the Tennessee game was an indicator). Murphy gives them the dual threat ability combined with their running game and defense will make Florida a real threat in the SEC East.
    I've read books about sparkling vampires who walk around in the daylight that were written better than a John Fay article.

6. Likes:

jmac (10-01-2013)

Quote Originally Posted by WVRed View Post
    If I'm not mistaken, he is or was a professor at UK who took out a full page ad to get Tubby fired.
    Seems like that puts him right in line with most UK fans at the time.

Quote Originally Posted by WVRed View Post
    It wasn't so much Florida's defense but their offense that made them prone to an upset. Kentucky's defense has improved under Stoops and Florida was starting a wide receiver who had been converted to a QB who had taken his first regular season snap the previous week against Tennessee. UK has also played some of its better games under the lights in Commonwealth (Beating Spurrier, upsetting LSU, Louisville, and Woodson throwing 5 TD's in a loss to Florida).

Problem is, I think it would have been a closer game or possibly even an upset if Driskel had been the starter. I've watched Florida a couple of times this year and they just looked out of sync with him as a starter (the Tennessee game was an indicator). Murphy gives them the dual threat ability combined with their running game and defense will make Florida a real threat in the SEC East.
    Just a tiny correction, Murphy has always been a qb.
    Go Gators!

Seems like that puts him right in line with most UK fans at the time.
    Not at all. It was a small group of UK "fans" that had their own little website, where racism was the norm. A lot of UK fans felt Tubby was a bad fit, but this group crossed way over the line of decency. Richard Cheeks was one of the more vocal of their group.

Quote Originally Posted by New York Red View Post
    Not at all. It was a small group of UK "fans" that had their own little website, where racism was the norm. A lot of UK fans felt Tubby was a bad fit, but this group crossed way over the line of decency. Richard Cheeks was one of the more vocal of their group.
    I was unaware of all that.

Nonetheless, the analysis that Mr. Cheeks does in the article I posted is pretty hard to argue with. I think UK fans may have gotten a tad ahead of themselves thinking about 5+ wins this year.

UK made a good acounting of themselves in Columbia Satuday night. Down 21-0 early they fought back and gave the Gamecocks a real scare at the end. I think you got a small glimpse of what the offense will look like with better personell and more experience. They had some nice drives after the first quarter. This game gave me hope they might actually win another couple of games this season. They should beat Alabama State and have a real shot against Vandy. Not sure yet about Missouri. Hopefully they can survive Alabama without any bad injuries this week.
    Reds Fan Since 1971

12. Likes:

jimbo (10-07-2013),jmac (10-07-2013)

I really want to predict a close game on Saturday with the offense seemingly on track, but Alabama is going to be too much to handle.

I will make one prediction, I think Whitlow will have a lot better game than people expect heading in. If there is one weakness Alabama's defense has, it's not being able to contain a dual threat QB. They did beat Manziel this year but he torched the defense as well.

I'm predicting something along the lines of 42-17 final score.

41-14 Bama.

Can't win the Derby on a mule.

part of BBN

I think your score's are about right. I just cant see Whitlow having alot of success against Bama despite what some say about Bama and the dual threat QB's.
    I also dont think Sabin will run up the score so I am guessing in the 40's.

Charlie Brown All-Star IslandRed's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by jmac View Post
    I just cant see Whitlow having alot of success against Bama despite what some say about Bama and the dual threat QB's.
    Yes, I think Bama's "weakness" against dual-threat quarterbacks is way overblown. Good luck finding meaningful evidence that doesn't hinge on games against quarterbacks who just so happened to win the Heisman Trophy.
    Reading comprehension is not just an ability, it's a choice

It's going to be the worst kind of beatdown, IMO. You won't see them running up the score and throwing it all over the field like Spurrier used to.

That was just infuriating. This will be just disheartening. Bama will run the ball up the middle at will and just dominate us. Saban may not even show up, and they could probably announce the plays on the jumbotron and we still couldn't stop them. They're that good.

I'm not going to watch the game and pretend it's a bye week.

Having said that, what a great day to be tailgating at UK. Beautiful weather, wish I could be there.

Turn Off Ads?